Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Retrogrouch manifesto/function not bling

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 02:53 PM
SoreFeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I tried to get into cycling for recreation and fitness. All bike stores carried the same injection molded plastic bikes or aluminum/carbon cookie cutter garbage. All sizes of the bike were generic. No bike featured absurdly longish wheel bases. I'm talking about touring geometry! I bought a Schwinn Super Sport in top mechanical condition with a Shimano 600 Groupo and San Marco Leather covered saddle. It is a great bike made of low end Tenax tubing with a 4130 rear triangle. The bike has a long seat tube ans shortish top tube, great geometry for comfort and all day riding. It takes bigger tires than all the bike shops were selling. The vintage groupo shifted great. I once had an STI bike it was annoying. I didn't like knowing that the shifter could fail and would cost a lot to fix. It sickens me that modern bike shops will not support local brazers. The modern cycling industry is out to destroy the comfort of the average recreational cyclist. It's either a huge clunky hybrid comfort bike that is not at all very efficient or a bike that features uncomfortable race geometry. Having been experimenting with bikes some modern some vintage I have found that good bikes are often under appreciated. We can take the modern Rivendale cycles as an example. They are a complete rip off. A vintage Trek or other modest touring bike of the day can be upgraded at a fraction of the cost and do the same function. From a consumer perspective there is nothing more annoying than being told that the new technology is superior to the old. I am an avid fan of the mopar slant six engine. It is perhaps the best inline six ever made. What does that have to do with cycling? It is much like downtube or barcon shifters. They are old and primitive but tried tested and true. From a price point the consumer is getting screwed on all modern bikes because they are equipped with modern shifters. The tiny parts are not as cost effective to produce than barcons/or downtube shifters. All the features of a top racing bike are sold as needed to have an enjoyable cycling experience. The lack of comfortable road bike geometry today is an insult to the cyclists who want a practical recreational ride. What the consumer can have in modern bikes is either a racer or a dumbed down racer with generic components. The jerks at the bike shop are selling out to weight weenie culture. The bottom line is that I could have at least two vintage bikes in pristine working order for the price of one modern bike. Two bikes of different geometry and ride quality. When a friend inquires to you about bikes, take the time to educate them on the function and practicality of vintage bikes. Let them know that friction can offer a ton of gearing at the lowest possible price. Let them know that friction will not take them into clunky chainsuck like a finicky STI (yes I know STI/ERGO can be snappy and precise but when the go they really "F" up pretty bad. With a little patience a friction lever becomes a reliable companion. Let them know that there is a frame that can be built up with modern and vintage components at a fraction of the price. Let them know that a plastic saddle will not bring relief to the sits muscles. Let them know that you are their best friend and would be happy to help build a functional bike that will give reliable riding without discomfort. Most important let them know that they are a badass for riding on something that was not made in Asia. Hallelujah! The vintage revival must continue to discredit the snake oil salespeople of the modern bike shops. Support the recycling co-ops if you have them. Don't be ripped off by arrogant jerks who rely on marketers to tell them how a bike ought to be. And most important of all...forget the light fast bikes, slow down, enjoy the scenery, reduce the risk of heart disease and if your lucky find a beautiful companion who loves to ride. Oh and I forgot to mention that if they are tired of all the BS there is a fixed gear. Off I go on to 42/17 nirvana.
Old 01-26-07, 03:01 PM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoreFeet
I tried to get into cycling for recreation and fitness. All bike stores carried the same injection molded plastic bikes or aluminum/carbon cookie cutter garbage. All sizes of the bike were generic. No bike featured absurdly longish wheel bases. I'm talking about touring geometry! I bought a Schwinn Super Sport in top mechanical condition with a Shimano 600 Groupo and San Marco Leather covered saddle. It is a great bike made of low end Tenax tubing with a 4130 rear triangle. The bike has a long seat tube ans shortish top tube, great geometry for comfort and all day riding. It takes bigger tires than all the bike shops were selling. The vintage groupo shifted great. I once had an STI bike it was annoying. I didn't like knowing that the shifter could fail and would cost a lot to fix. It sickens me that modern bike shops will not support local brazers. The modern cycling industry is out to destroy the comfort of the average recreational cyclist. It's either a huge clunky hybrid comfort bike that is not at all very efficient or a bike that features uncomfortable race geometry. Having been experimenting with bikes some modern some vintage I have found that good bikes are often under appreciated. We can take the modern Rivendale cycles as an example. They are a complete rip off. A vintage Trek or other modest touring bike of the day can be upgraded at a fraction of the cost and do the same function. From a consumer perspective there is nothing more annoying than being told that the new technology is superior to the old. I am an avid fan of the mopar slant six engine. It is perhaps the best inline six ever made. What does that have to do with cycling? It is much like downtube or barcon shifters. They are old and primitive but tried tested and true. From a price point the consumer is getting screwed on all modern bikes because they are equipped with modern shifters. The tiny parts are not as cost effective to produce than barcons/or downtube shifters. All the features of a top racing bike are sold as needed to have an enjoyable cycling experience. The lack of comfortable road bike geometry today is an insult to the cyclists who want a practical recreational ride. What the consumer can have in modern bikes is either a racer or a dumbed down racer with generic components. The jerks at the bike shop are selling out to weight weenie culture. The bottom line is that I could have at least two vintage bikes in pristine working order for the price of one modern bike. Two bikes of different geometry and ride quality. When a friend inquires to you about bikes, take the time to educate them on the function and practicality of vintage bikes. Let them know that friction can offer a ton of gearing at the lowest possible price. Let them know that friction will not take them into clunky chainsuck like a finicky STI (yes I know STI/ERGO can be snappy and precise but when the go they really "F" up pretty bad. With a little patience a friction lever becomes a reliable companion. Let them know that there is a frame that can be built up with modern and vintage components at a fraction of the price. Let them know that a plastic saddle will not bring relief to the sits muscles. Let them know that you are their best friend and would be happy to help build a functional bike that will give reliable riding without discomfort. Most important let them know that they are a badass for riding on something that was not made in Asia. Hallelujah! The vintage revival must continue to discredit the snake oil salespeople of the modern bike shops. Support the recycling co-ops if you have them. Don't be ripped off by arrogant jerks who rely on marketers to tell them how a bike ought to be. And most important of all...forget the light fast bikes, slow down, enjoy the scenery, reduce the risk of heart disease and if your lucky find a beautiful companion who loves to ride. Oh and I forgot to mention that if they are tired of all the BS there is a fixed gear. Off I go on to 42/17 nirvana.
If you are seeking a non race geometry in a road bike, try a Giant OCR or a Trek Pilot. BTW, are you sure that Super Sport of yours didn't come from Asia?
Old 01-26-07, 03:08 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Wow - that's quite a rant......

There are plenty of modern, comfortable bikes around. The Giant OCR and Trek Pilot have already been mentioned, and there are others.

S. J. Perelman
Old 01-26-07, 05:24 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I like the part about how you can buy two bike for the price of a modern weight weenie bike....I hate to disappoint anyone...but I probably bought 4 or 5 vintage bikes for what one modern CF bike costs I can appreciate the modern technology, but much prefer the older stuff. My absolute newest ride is a 2003 Staiger City Bike. My favorite ride is a 1972 Raleigh Superbe.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-26-07, 05:33 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Have you tried the Bianchi Eros?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-26-07, 06:16 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I like the part about how you can buy two bike for the price of a modern weight weenie bike....I hate to disappoint anyone...but I probably bought 4 or 5 vintage bikes for what one modern CF bike costs I can appreciate the modern technology, but much prefer the older stuff. My absolute newest ride is a 2003 Staiger City Bike. My favorite ride is a 1972 Raleigh Superbe.

Aaron
I'm right there with you on that!

My "newest" ride is an '04 Greenspeed GTX (a recumbent trike) Retails for about $7,500.
Bought it with 82 miles on the odometer for $2,000.
My "newest" diamond frame ride is an '84 Colnago w/Super Record. And my favorite DF ride is a '69 Clive Stuart. At least until I get the Merlin Racing Cycles frame built up!

Let's see;
$450 Ross Mount Hood traded for the Colnago.
$600 for Rock Lobster #13 (ALL Campy SR!)
$175 for the Clive
$200 for a very early Ritchey road bike w/Nuovo Record
$600 for the Merlin (estimate for the frame & build)
$2025 TOTAL

What kind of cheesy carbon bike could I get for 2 grand? Maybe a frame, and certainly not Campy equipped!

And nothing anywhere neeear as special as any ONE of the above mentioned bikes!

VINTAGE BIKES RULE!!!!

Old 01-26-07, 06:24 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I like the part about how you can buy two bike for the price of a modern weight weenie bike....I hate to disappoint anyone...but I probably bought 4 or 5 vintage bikes for what one modern CF bike costs
Heck, all the bikes I own cost less combined than one modern weight weenie bike.
Old 01-26-07, 06:39 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but there are some "modern" bikes that
fit the bill in terms of Geometry, check the Lemonds they have longer top tubes.
I'm not such a retrogrouch that I don't appreciate brifters (hell I can even use the
term without cringing)
one other point, paragraphs are your friend, makes it a bit easier to read.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 01-26-07, 06:44 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by lotek
I didn't want to say anything, but readnig that run-on hurt my eyes.

S. J. Perelman
Old 01-26-07, 06:47 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
+1. You lost me at the second sentence. Also, if you want retro-bling, look at the hubs I picked up from Sammyboy .
Old 01-26-07, 07:26 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts

Aaron
Hmmn, you got me thinking on that:

'69 Magneet Sprint: Free, plus the parts that originally appeared on the '64 Raleigh Gran Sport, $100.00
'71 Gitane Tour de France: $75.00 purchase, $35.00 afterwards, total $110.00
'86 Raleigh Seneca: $10.00 purchase, $80.00 chain, tyres, cyclometer, rack, total $90.00
'88 Rossin RL: free, $250.00 in upgrades, going to all 7400 Dura Ace, total $250.00
'03 Fuji Finest: frame cost $75.00, spent about $400.00 on 9-speed Ultegra, sew up wheels, total $475.00
'04 Schwinn mtb (kept at work, lunch time runner): free, $8.00 chain, total $8.00

Grand total: $1033.00

New, that'll buy me a bike that's about one and a half steps from the bottom, aluminum frame, Shimano 105 derailleurs, Truvative crankset, and nothing exciting at all. I figure, for six bikes, I've spent 2/3rds what I'd consider acceptable if I insisted on going new. Note: this calculation only figures on the two tyres each bike rides on (spare sew-ups are a separate cost center) and if I already had wheels, etc. available on the shelf, that's considered free (my spare parts collection is figured in with the spare tyres).

Viva vintage bikes!

And yeah, when you're going to do a long rant, break it into paragraphs and put a line in between each paragraph. A long run-on like that is REAL hard to read.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 01-26-07 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 07:55 PM
Christof H

Bikes: coaster clunker MTB, bianchi Osprey, Trek 930, Schwinn Le Tour, some others

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I built:

Fixie mtb based on an original model Schwinn mesa runner (back in the way back, even MTBs had horizontals). Total cost.... $6 for tape. I even had ritchieslick 1.4" tires lying around.

Lotus 2000R converted to 3 speed coaster brake- I live in flatland and an old 33c hub makes things fast and fun and simple. It's got second hand mustache bars and the total cost is.... $0

My wife's interim road tourer- a '77 Sekai Sprint 1000. All done up with parts from our bike co op (shere I volunteer for pickins). MY wife's first roadie, first friction, and she loves it. Cost.... nada. (okay, I spent most of a 4 hour shift working on the parts.)

I've got some others, total spent on bikes in the past year is under $200, and all of that is tape, chains, tires, and bearings.

I've tested all the $400-$800 bikes at the bikes shops, and a few of the $1500 ones. My KHS tourer is smoother than all but this one fuji. My 3 speed bombers are snappier than all the city bikes, period.

New bikes are great! i LOVE NEW BIKES. Every time someone buys one I get more free parts
Old 01-26-07, 08:10 PM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me bling is a huge chrome pie plate on a 25 year old Schwinn road bike....
Old 01-26-07, 08:11 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I may have to go back and reprice my stable...might be more like 10 or 20 bikes for the price of a new one My biggest problem is that I have to buy most of my parts. Decent quality parts bikes do not exist where I live. A good score for me at the thrift shop is a complete Huffy 3 speed or a Taiwan built Schwinn Collegiate. It has been so long since I have seen anything other than a Next brand I am beginning to believe that Walmart has taken over the bicycling world....

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-26-07, 08:35 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
One nice thing about loving old bikes is that it is much easier to buy and sell them. Cheaper to buy, easier to sell with less (or no) depreciation. You can change bikes as often as you change, um, socks or underwear, depending on your personal habits.

Plus it is a lot more FUN!
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 01-26-07, 08:48 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabid Koala
One nice thing about loving old bikes is that it is much easier to buy and sell them. Cheaper to buy, easier to sell with less (or no) depreciation. You can change bikes as often as you change, um, socks or underwear, depending on your personal habits.

Plus it is a lot more FUN!
You have two Paramounts and a Raleigh Pro. Why would you ever want to change bikes?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-26-07, 09:13 PM
Otis

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
They are called paragraphs

Learn how to use them.

Then maybe I could read your whole post.

Even though it seemed pretty misguided and boring from the first few sentences.

Anyway, the world is full of good used bicycles from all eras. And even though modern bicycles are actually a lot better and more economical there's no shortage of great old rides for everybody's taste. You just might have to look beyond your local bike store.

As "for function not bling". I love old bikes for the bling, love new bikes for the function.
Old 01-26-07, 09:19 PM
dijos
Walks with a limp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, man, try some Decaf. I agree with some of what you're saying, but new ultra-modern bikes have their place.

BTW, the main bike i'm riding tight now is a 85 schwinn world tourist, 10 bucks. Love it.
Old 01-26-07, 10:10 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by Rabid Koala

S. J. Perelman
Old 01-26-07, 10:39 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by dijos
I agree with some of what you're saying, but new ultra-modern bikes have their place.
Yep, under the butt of someone with more money than taste. My newest road bike is I beleive 85, or is it 86? How do you date a Maruishi? I love vintage bikes, the new stuff just seems so cookie cutter and antiseptic!,,,,BD
Old 01-27-07, 01:27 AM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
My newest road bike is I beleive 85, or is it 86? How do you date a Maruishi?
Throw me a serial number, BD. I know mine is an '87, based on former component and dropout date codes.
Old 01-27-07, 06:10 AM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Let me, too climb on the bandwagon, and beat the paragraphs drum!
Old 01-27-07, 07:25 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
Let me, too climb on the bandwagon, and beat the paragraphs drum!
Paragraph breaks are fine, but that assumes someone has something to say. Let me put in a good word for conciseness!

Neal
Old 01-27-07, 09:06 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Gee, I always thought bling was was a non-functional feature - pure eye candy. If anything, the vintage steel bikes are the bling bicycles, with their fancy cut lugs and chrome lugs, forks and stays. And all that engraving on those highly desirable Camapgnolo Nuovo Record and Shimano 600 Arabesque derailleurs is pure bling. And then there are the fancy cutouts in lugs, stay caps, fork crowns and bottom brackets that the C&V crowd find so appealing.

I find that modern bicycles have less bling than the vintage models. The vast majority of those modern technological innovations add true value, in my opinion.

As for bicycles with a relaxed, touring geometry, there are literally dozens out there, you just have to look. Some other posters, have cited some excellent examples.

The bottom line is that there is a certain consumer that bling appeals to. It has always been there. Always will be. I can appreciate the appeal of both pure function and bling, whether it is modern or vintage. I guess I'm in the minority.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 01-27-07, 09:09 AM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Yeah "I hate new bikes mainly out of ignorance" would have been a much more concise way to say the same thing, and wouldn't have required any paragraph breaks.

As for the assertion that there are no modern bikes with touring geometry, there are plenty. They call them touring bikes. You might have to look in more than one bike shop. If you want a new bike, but hate STI, sell your STIs and put on barcons. You'll come out $ ahead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.