Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ship or Fly?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ship or Fly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 04:51 PM
mcallaghan

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Merlin Titanium Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ship or Fly?

Dilemma here. I am going overseas to do a Tour, and am wondering if I should ship my bike ahead of time (to my Uncles house) or fly with it instead?

The only other overseas tour I did was supported etc and we all flew with our bikes in a box. This time around its unsupported so I am wondering what my best option might be in this case?
Old 06-26-12, 05:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IDK, OP devoid of specifics [again] from where to where?

Accompanied Luggage ,
bikes with some airlines get a deal, others they nail you heavy..

international Air freight is never cheap.
Old 06-26-12, 05:05 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcallaghan
Dilemma here. I am going overseas to do a Tour, and am wondering if I should ship my bike ahead of time (to my Uncles house) or fly with it instead?

The only other overseas tour I did was supported etc and we all flew with our bikes in a box. This time around its unsupported so I am wondering what my best option might be in this case?

Have you checked with the airline luggage policy yet? Some international airlines do not charge for a bike.
Old 06-26-12, 05:24 PM
mcallaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From CO, USA to the UK.

Its expensive enough shipping a bike out here from the East Coast. The airlines out here...I would imagine they charge a fee. Its a Ski Resort town, though, so lots of oversized luggage.
Old 06-26-12, 07:27 PM
DFleming

Bikes: 1992 Koga-Miyata Prologue, 2003 Cannondale T2000, 1980s Bureley Tandem Touring Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shipbikes.com

check and see if they help. It weighs the oversize fee, i payed 70 from florida to germany.
Old 06-26-12, 08:11 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Almost always cheaper to fly with the bike. You will most likely have far less customs issues too.
Old 06-26-12, 09:42 PM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which airline are you flying with? British Airways treats your bike as a piece of checked luggage- if everything else is carry-on, the bike is your one free piece of checked luggage (Economy Class). If the bike is your second piece of checked luggage, you pay the fee for a second piece, etc., etc. Go to the website of the airline you are flying with, find out what their rules are, and print out a copy of the rules for when you get to the check-in counter. FWIW, British Airways is about as bicycle friendly an airline as you are going to find IMHO, and they have non-stops from Denver to London.

I've done 3 bicycle tours in the last few years that involved using BA to get from Denver to the tour and back, and had no problems worth mentioning. PM me or post here if you want to pick my brains about getting from Colorado to the UK with a bike.
Old 06-27-12, 08:51 AM
mcallaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am contemplating flying directly from Denver and either finding some one to drive me to Denver (3+hrs from here) or pay ~$150 for the CME to drive me out there. It offsets/equals flying from the local airport to Denver, and avoids flying on one of the Express Routes (which would charge me extra for the bike due to luggage compartment). Would make flying much easier too (and less flight time) so might be the way to go. A lot of the flights go Local-LAX-Chicago/EastCoast-London...which is just way too much flying in the wrong direction, makes me wonder how its cheaper.
Old 06-27-12, 09:42 AM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depending on how long you're going to be gone, it just might be worth your while to just pay the long term parking rate in one of the economy lots at DIA. DIA's shuttle lots charge $7/day, and there are private parking options outside the airport that charge even less. All of these lots have a shuttle to the terminal, and I've taken an unboxed bicycle on plenty of parking and rent-a-car shuttles.

A one way car rental can be a good option, depending on what kind of deal you can get. I would at least go to a few auto rental websites and get price quotes for your travel dates. coming back from my tour a few weeks ago, I rented a mini-van from Hertz, one way from DIA to Frisco, and paid just under $100 for the rental. A small car would have cost less, but getting my touring bike and my gear inside any of their small cars would have been close to impossible.

Does CME's price include the bicycle? The last I heard, their bicycle charge was equal to the cost of the passenger fare.

BA's non-stop from DIA to London is the way to go, IMHO. If nothing else, a non-stop gives the airlines fewer opportunities to lose your baggage.
Old 06-27-12, 12:13 PM
mcallaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own a car, and know for a fact that there are no car-rental places close-by. The CME pricing says $103-per-person, with an additional fee for a bike. I was assuming that wouldn't be anymore then $50. With a little luck, I can get a friend to drive me out there. I'll be gone for about a month. The less stops on my flight, the better - like you said, less chance of lost luggage plus less stress on day of flight. I do need to make the Irish Decision though - do I do my proposed Tour of Ireland (add on 18 days or so) or just stick with the UK.
Old 07-03-12, 07:55 AM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget that it doesn't matter for which airline the ticket is printed (e-mailed). The fee is assessed by the carrier with whom you check in/fly at the beginning of your flight.

E.g. if you have a Lufthansa ticket and are leaving from an US airport most likely you will be checking in at the United counter (and flying a United airplane). Especially from smaller airports. The United Airline fees for bicycle (and any other luggage) will apply, not the Lufthansa fees.

Just keep in mind to check what company you are actually flying with when shopping for tickets. Also, if you are flying a small regional jet and have a full sized bicycle (not a folder), you may want to call the airline and ask them if the plane can take a boxed bike.
Old 08-17-20, 02:42 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Louise Simmons
It depends which airline you choose. Why do I think so? There are many nuances you may encounter when sending your bike in advance or when riding with it specifically. It's all about money and I don't know how much it's worth overpaying when sending your bike in advance.
geeze, louise! methinks op has probably already finished his tour by now.
Old 08-17-20, 03:12 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
geeze, louise! methinks op has probably already finished his tour by now.
Hah, I'm all like UK, Ireland, flights? How can this be? Checks date... ZOMBIE!!!
Old 08-17-20, 06:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Even if this was not an eight year old thread, not sure where someone in USA could fly to considering that most countries are blocking people with USA passports because of uncontroled Covid.