Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2014!! How was your commute today?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2014!! How was your commute today?

Old 01-14-14, 07:34 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Bonus commute for me this morning. I thought I would end up driving today because the forecast called for lots of rain, but the radar this morning showed a nice "window" with no showers about the time I normally leave for work. So I went for it and made it to work with only a few sprinkles and light mist, although the roads were still very wet from showers overnight. The front that is causing all of the rain is supposed to pass through in the afternoon, so it's supposed to be clear by the time I ride home. Hopefully that will be the case because I don't want another soaking like I got last Friday.
Me too! Roads were wet, and it was starting to drizzle a bit for the last mile, but I had a nice ride in. Perfect temperature for riding: about 47F. It's supposed to be clear for the ride home. This marks the first two-in-a-row for 2014.
Old 01-14-14, 07:59 AM
thrllskr

Bikes: Fuji, Ridley, Bianchi, Charge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great morning to ride. After yesterday, 25mph headwinds and 25 degrees, I felt like I was in riding heaven. Saw a coyote, the smell of pinon buring fireplaces, and no wind!
Old 01-14-14, 08:21 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice weather for the 14th of january, it's not normal. 4° celcius with a nice tailwind but light rain. I took my summer bike this morning and I managed to get to work in 1h01, it's a good feeling after a few ride in 1h40 on ice and snow with the winter bike.

So far I've been bike commuting 50% of the time in 2014 (3/6). It's not bad.
Old 01-14-14, 10:04 AM
OrionXavier

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
Kudos to the folks posting in this thread riding with such low temps. Worst I contend with here are upper 20's. Still we get some crazy inversion layers when I go up and over the hills that can lead to 15-20 degree temperature swings. That kinda sucks when you're in winter gear with a backpack and suddenly the temps are in the low 50's.
Lol I used to have that on my old commute. It was 45-60 minute one way to work, the last 1 mile was one giant hill, then the remaining 0.5 miles crossed 2 bridges over water. The temp dropped drastically over the bridges. Combined with 15 MPH headwind, wind chill (when standing still) of -10F, and going downhill at >25 MPH.. it was terrible. By that time my feet and hands already felt like they were in vices and then suddenly it feels like I was dipped in liquid nitrogen lol. I did that for 2 Winters. Thankfully now my commute to my new job is 10 times easier so I don't have to go through all that. I was amazed I didn't get frostbite, especially as a Type 2 Diabetic with not so great circulation in my feet.

It was almost 50F yesterday. I did some biking around town to run some errands, get groceries. The rolling resistance in the snow tires and having to push through snow for a week seems to have really increased my leg strength, because I was biking faster than I ever have before. Of course my bike chain decided to get a stiff link which ruined my fun. I ordered a chain breaker tool to hopefully fix it.
Old 01-14-14, 10:08 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Almost hit the leader board on a Strava segment. I don't usually go hard in the AM due to no showers at work, but just couldn't let that atypical tailwind go to waste.
Old 01-14-14, 11:12 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Heatwave didn't last, 25F this morning but clear roads and skies!
Old 01-14-14, 03:07 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dramiscram
Very nice weather for the 14th of january, it's not normal. 4° celcius with a nice tailwind but light rain. I took my summer bike this morning and I managed to get to work in 1h01, it's a good feeling after a few ride in 1h40 on ice and snow with the winter bike.

So far I've been bike commuting 50% of the time in 2014 (3/6). It's not bad.
Your doing better than I am. With either hard rain or well below 0degF and having to drive to remote sites for job assignments, I haven't commuted much yet this year. Planning on it tomorrow morning though if nothing gets in the way. I will still use my winter bike because of ice.
Old 01-14-14, 03:29 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After 13 days of being stuck indoors with the flu, today's second day of commuting to work was a huge sigh of relief with nice weather and temps in the mid teens (Celsius).

Also during the extended stay at home, I got around in changing my tires and the "new" ones (have around 500 miles on them) feel a-lot faster than the old nylon CST Marathons which had a harsh ride.
Old 01-14-14, 03:37 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
42 F and some headwind. A little occasional spittle, first ride in weeks without studded tires, spinning like Supaman.
Old 01-14-14, 04:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Got ice cream brain freeze on the first downhill. (This is a problem unique to me, I think, the product of a sinus surgery in my twenties.)

Saw what might have been a California Spotted Owl.
Old 01-14-14, 04:40 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10degC (49F), dark and cloudy, but not raining. (ground was wet though)

I was late so I pushed hard fo 10mi (17kms). First time pushing hard on the knee since the bmx crash late November. Right quad is visibly smaller than left due to muscle wasting.
Old 01-14-14, 06:24 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droy45
Your doing better than I am. With either hard rain or well below 0degF and having to drive to remote sites for job assignments, I haven't commuted much yet this year. Planning on it tomorrow morning though if nothing gets in the way. I will still use my winter bike because of ice.
The fact that I only worked 6 days so far in 2014 is helping a lot to keep a not-so-bad average so far.
Old 01-15-14, 06:09 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foggy Foggy Foggy, a nice ride in actually. 39F 4 C.
Old 01-15-14, 06:14 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
little bit wet but OK nonetheless.
Old 01-15-14, 06:43 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride.
I played leap frog with a freight train. I heard it and it's horn as I left the house. I dug deep to beat it to the crossing in Bellevue (Old Harding Road). I was well past when I saw the crossing lights/bars drop in my mirror. At the next point It was ahead of me as I rode the Music City Bikeway (Post Road section), then I passed it again on the Richland Greenway. We got to the crossing (overpass) at the corner of Ackland and Nebraska at the same time, at which point it headed on over toward Charlotte Pike and I headed toward Centennial Park and downtown.
It was fun but i can a feel a little extra muscle burn.

temp was right at 30 degreess F, mostly a clear sky and dry for a change.
Old 01-15-14, 07:11 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Felt pretty good. 27 degrees and dry although there were a few icy patches to watch out for. If the winds don't shift, the headwind I had this morning will turn into a nice tailwind for the ride home.
Old 01-15-14, 08:10 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My bonus commute yesterday was negated by heavy fog today. I don't do fog of the pea-soup variety, which is what it was today. My commute route is entirely on roads, some of them heavily traveled, and it's not worth the risk riding in thick fog. That, and I can't see through my eye glasses after a few minutes.
Old 01-15-14, 08:27 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
23F and snow, but the pretty kind not the evil kind
Old 01-15-14, 08:35 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two days in a row with the summer bike. It looked a bit icy (black ice) from my window so I switched the pedals to the Platform pedals so my feet would not be stuck if I start to fall. Finaly it was more wet then icy. Beautiful sun, a mild -1° celcius.
Nice ride.
Old 01-15-14, 09:51 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rained last night and was foggy and just below freezing this morning.

Wasn't until I was almost all the way to work that I realized how slippery it could be.

Fortunately, it was slippery enough that when I was sliding on my side on the road, the asphalt just let me keep sliding and didn't get too bad an abrasion.

Today would have been a good day for me not to ride in. Oh well.
Old 01-15-14, 09:58 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The January thaw continues. Black ice in places but mostly just wet. The shoulders of the road have returned to almost normal and the MUP section is clean of snow. 33degF and a very pleasant commute this morning. Just found out we are moving the business to another office space in a couple months and it looks like it will be much closer to home for me. I am hoping I can go back to an easy 10 mile commute like I had for years prior to changing jobs. My present 15.5 mile one way trip has been a time consumer especially in the winter. Things are looking up, hope its not a disappointment.
Old 01-15-14, 10:31 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drove in today because I had to drop my trombone off at the shop. I still can't figure out a good way to transport the trombone on my bike.

Super thick fog, and many reports of accidents due to black ice earlier in the morning.
Old 01-15-14, 11:25 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
When I started forty pounds ago, I used to catch the bike rack equipped Cheater Shuttle for part of the ride. In three years working here I have gotten thinner, and fitter, and today I beat that bus to the stop I used to take it to.
Map approximately to scale

Originally Posted by spivonious
I still can't figure out a good way to transport the trombone on my bike.
Hands free, playing Sousa all the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BeatTheBus.jpg (76.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 01-15-14 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 11:27 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
When I started forty pounds ago, I used to catch the bike rack equipped Cheater Shuttle for part of the ride. In three years working here I have gotten thinner, and fitter, and today I beat that bus to the stop I used to take it to.
Nice!
Old 01-15-14, 11:49 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
Drove in today because I had to drop my trombone off at the shop. I still can't figure out a good way to transport the trombone on my bike.

Super thick fog, and many reports of accidents due to black ice earlier in the morning.
Most families I know in CPH have a box bike just for moving objects!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.