Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike GPS

Old 11-09-19, 07:32 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Bike GPS

Looking around at finally pulling the trigger on a GPS. I've been doing alot of reading and seems like wahoo computers get great reviews. The wahoo element bolt gives a lot of bang for your buck. The wahoo roam seems like a lot of extra money it would be the upper end of my budget as well, but seems to have a few nicer fearures. The garmin's devices seem to have mixed reviews. Anyone thoughts and experiences would be great. Hoping for some sales for the holidays. I'm not a competitive cyclist by any stretch, I commute, want to be able to track or plan with turn by turn, speed, distance, tracking climbing etc, nothing crazy beyond that. Dont care about my heart rate, cadence or intervals.
Old 11-09-19, 09:04 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris!
Looking around at finally pulling the trigger on a GPS. I've been doing alot of reading and seems like wahoo computers get great reviews. The wahoo element bolt gives a lot of bang for your buck. The wahoo roam seems like a lot of extra money it would be the upper end of my budget as well, but seems to have a few nicer fearures. The garmin's devices seem to have mixed reviews. Anyone thoughts and experiences would be great. Hoping for some sales for the holidays. I'm not a competitive cyclist by any stretch, I commute, want to be able to track or plan with turn by turn, speed, distance, tracking climbing etc, nothing crazy beyond that. Dont care about my heart rate, cadence or intervals.
I don’t think you can go wrong with the wahoo element bolt. I have a Garmin edge 520 plus and it works fine for me and I’m used to the garmin ecosystem.
Old 11-09-19, 09:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Bolt is a good choice for what you are doing, especially as it has seamless integration with RideWithGPS, which can track your rides as well as let you generate on-line routes that allow navigation with Turn-By-Tirn direction.

The Garmin Edge Explore also a good choice, rock solid unit, a big larger, better maps (if that’s important), can use the Garmin Connect on-line course/route generation software, also easy to get onto the device.

Both units are $249.
Old 11-10-19, 03:47 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
All I use is RWGPS and my LG phone and it seems to be working pretty well. I'm sure something like a Bolt would add functionality and maybe fun, but my budget is somewhat limited these days and I'd prefer to put that bike computer cash into something like new wheels, or to help defray the cost of a new rain jacket.
Old 11-10-19, 06:50 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
All I use is RWGPS and my LG phone and it seems to be working pretty well. I'm sure something like a Bolt would add functionality and maybe fun, but my budget is somewhat limited these days and I'd prefer to put that bike computer cash into something like new wheels, or to help defray the cost of a new rain jacket.
I try to keep things simple on my bicycle. I use my iPhone apps and paper maps. I have been using a high end Garmin on my motorcycle for the last eight years and it has always been a love hate relationship.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 11-10-19, 11:30 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I have too many friends that complain about their Garmin in one aspect or another. Bought a Bolt. Extremely happy with it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-10-19, 01:38 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Why not just use a free app on your phone?
Old 11-10-19, 02:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Why not just use a free app on your phone?
Many do that. Many others find a number of issues (phone dependent) when desiring a h-bar mounted unit, battery life, poor screen image in sunlight, most phones are not water or shock resistant, desire to keep the phone functional for emergencies, etc.... many, many posts on this subject and the advantages/disadvantages go both ways.
Old 11-10-19, 05:44 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
The Wahoo will give you turn by turn directions, which the phone can't do without a paid subscription. And the Wahoo battery lasts 17 hours. Don't try that with your phone.

Any Wahoo user will tell you they're easier to use than Garmins. Everything is done using the companion app on your phone. Loading rides is as easy as pinning the ride on RWGPS, then sync'ing the device.
Old 11-10-19, 06:01 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
The Wahoo will give you turn by turn directions, which the phone can't do without a paid subscription. And the Wahoo battery lasts 17 hours. Don't try that with your phone.

Any Wahoo user will tell you they're easier to use than Garmins. Everything is done using the companion app on your phone. Loading rides is as easy as pinning the ride on RWGPS, then sync'ing the device.
I agree that setup via companion app is certainly easier. With that being said, it’s not rocket science on the Garmin device. And Ridewithgps just added their app to connect iq and it’s easy to send routes to your Garmin device.
Old 11-10-19, 06:18 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I use my iPhone and MapMyFitness.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 11-10-19, 08:25 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
I have a Lezyne Mega XL that I’ve been using since spring. Looking at the above posts, I think I made a good choice. The Mega XL only cost $200, does turn-by-turn and has a battery life that is up to 48 hours (I’ve only gotten it up to about 30 hours). I used it on a 3 day bikepacking trip in August and never had to recharge it. Considering that I was camping without access to power, that was a plus. I could probably get 5 days or so out of it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-10-19, 09:03 PM
Chris!

As others have stated about the phones. 1 and most important I would like to save battery in case of emergency. I looked into and really liking the Lezyne Mega XL . Backcountry currently has them on sale for 159.99.
Old 11-10-19, 09:21 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

As others have stated about the phones. 1 and most important I would like to save battery in case of emergency. I looked into and really liking the Lezyne Mega XL . Backcountry currently has them on sale for 159.99.
I think the Lezyne would work fine for you. I had one of their smaller models. It was fine. There was some data field related to normalized power that I was used to having on my Garmin that they didn’t have. But overall it worked well.
Old 11-10-19, 09:25 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
garmin is way over priced wahoo is the way to go....
Old 11-10-19, 10:23 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
I don’t think you can go wrong with the wahoo element bolt. I have a Garmin edge 520 plus and it works fine for me and I’m used to the garmin ecosystem.
The ELEMNT and Bolt assume you'll use your phone for navigation and don't work well for it.

They don't display street names, scroll while zoomed in so you can see where roads go (roads suitable for cycling disappear when you zoom out), or switch to the map screen showing which of several options you should turn on.

In an emergency they can't route you to the nearest water source or bike store.

I returned mine for a Gramin Edge 810, which I returned for a refurbished 800 because the 810 software crashed on roundabouts.

I installed the openfietsmap.nl maps, which start with the Open Street Map cycling maps and adjust road weights for better routing.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-10-19 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 03:45 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
I bought a Garmin Edge 705 in 2008 which, after some minor teething troubles, served me extremely well for many years. In fact it's still working but in comparison with modern GPS units is quite big and clunky and very slow to get a lock to I decided to upgrade it last Christmas. In order to benefit from some perks offered by my life insurance provider I had to go with Garmin again and so got a 520 Plus. I have to say, however, that I'm very happy with it. The only quirk I've come across was related to the old GSC10 speed and cadence sensor on my bike. The magnet fell off my back wheel so it was only getting the cadence data and, weirdly, it got really confused and locked up a couple of times. Once I'd worked out what the issue was and replaced the magnet everything was fine again.

With the 520 Plus you can create a route on the PC and upload it to the unit. I've only done it the once as it's not something I have a lot of need for, but it worked pretty well.
Old 11-11-19, 04:47 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Put me down as Team Wahoo.

Running an app on a phone requires carrying an extra battery and some kind of waterproof mount for the phone. Adding those two things are still cheaper than a GPS bikecomputer, but just more weight and stuff to carry.

I was Team Garmin for many years, have found Wahoo more reliable and better battery life (in real use, not just claims.) Garmin used to have the advantage in on the fly re-routing, Wahoo has that now. The remaining advantage of Garmin is not something I don't need - the ability to run apps on the device to have a wide range of 3rd party devices integration.
Old 11-11-19, 06:37 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by robnol
garmin is way over priced wahoo is the way to go....
This is becoming a needless Garmin vs.Wahoo war. Note that an Edge 520 Plus is down to $200 (thats a good deal), Wahoo Bolt is $249, Garmin Edge 520 is $249, Edge Explore is $249, Edge 530 is $270, Wahoo Elemnt is $300, Wahoo Roam is $380, Edge 830 is $400.

So comparable prices across the range of devices.
Old 11-11-19, 06:40 AM
Chris!

..... lots of good info. Part of me is having a hard time pulling the trigger in anything. I'm super cheap. I have a basic speedometer tracks mph, distance etc. Thinking I'll either do Lezyne Mega XL, or a wahoo at this point. Gonna keep me eyes out as we get closer to the holidays.
Old 11-11-19, 10:19 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
The remaining advantage of Garmin is not something I don't need - the ability to run apps on the device to have a wide range of 3rd party devices integration.
I'm curious about that, actually. I've looked through their apps and have rather been left scratching my head. I'd like to know if anyone on this forum found anything that's remotely useful?
Old 11-11-19, 03:23 PM
Steve B.

[QUOTE=jgwilliams;21204086]I'm curious about that, actually. I've looked through their apps and have rather been left scratching my head. I'd like to know if anyone on this forum found anything that's remotely useful?[/QUOTE

I use a better weather app that shows wind direction, plus the RideWithGPS app that allows me to access recent and pinned routes I've created for a very easy download to the device. Others who use a lot of power, HR or cadence functions have access to some really nice apps that do a better job of displaying those metrics than what Garmin has to offer. TrailForks is another one that gains access to the best of the mt. bike single track trail routes. I only tried it once had issues but didn't attempt to troubleshoot.
Old 11-11-19, 11:45 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Buy the 530 over the 520 or 520+.
Old 11-12-19, 05:11 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I'm curious about that, actually. I've looked through their apps and have rather been left scratching my head. I'd like to know if anyone on this forum found anything that's remotely useful?
The one I am tempted by is actually supported on my Wahoo Roam as well: the Garmin Varia radar taillight is now supported by Wahoo as a device. Seems like fun to play with, if I can figure out a way to have a stable mounting point since the simple blinky light I use just hangs on the rear loop of my saddle bag and I don't have any seat post room.

Every year I try to find a biking toy to suggest to wife to buy for me for Christmas, since she says she can never figure out what to get me - that will probably be this year's toy.

But, just demonstrates don't really need a Garmin head unit to run an app.
Old 11-12-19, 06:12 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
You might also want to consider other activities you do.
I wanted something that covers a bit of everything (golf, hiking, cycling, racing) and I got a fenix5+ as it was phased out and loaded with maps.
Since then, I added free cycle maps and a cheap cadence sensor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.