Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tubeless commuting tire

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Tubeless commuting tire

Old 10-29-19, 09:55 AM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Tubeless commuting tire

Thinking of going tubeless on my vaya, but having a hard time finding a good commuter tire that can be used tubeless. Need something in 700x35/37. Any suggestions? So far my leading prospect is the WTB riddler
Old 10-29-19, 11:22 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Generically that is classified as a "gravel bike" tire based on size. Most any gravel tire can be used tubeless. Many of them are slick or semi-slick. Is that what you want? Panaracer, WTB, and Schwalbe make some great tires that are slick (or close to it) for gravel bikes in that size range.

I use a Schwalbe G-One. That WTB would be similar. They just announced a 700c byway (slick) that might be better for you if you don't want tread. Panaracer Gravel King slicks are probably a little lighter and faster, but not so durable.
Old 10-29-19, 01:10 PM
Maslin

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I run WTB Horizons tubless on my 650b Journeyman. Looks like that tire is 650 only, but the Byway or Exposure look very similar. My commute is 16 to 18 miles a day, love the tires.
Old 10-29-19, 01:14 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I have a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires on order now. Unfortunately I won’t be able to fit them up for a couple of months when the bike I want finally comes in. They’re 700x35c and seemed to get good results in rolling resistance tests. These are tubeless ready and (I believe) folding bead. They’re marketed as a touring tire.
Old 10-29-19, 03:44 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Teravail Rampart is my recommendation. they're available in 700 x 38, should fit fine on your Vaya. Great tires for commuting on pavement, super easy to set up tubeless.
Old 10-30-19, 09:50 PM
suncruiser

Originally Posted by well biked
Teravail Rampart is my recommendation. they're available in 700 x 38, should fit fine on your Vaya. Great tires for commuting on pavement, super easy to set up tubeless.
This is actually right up the alley of what I'm looking for, thanks! I'm between that and the Panaracer Gravelking, both with gumwalls.
Likes For suncruiser:
Old 10-31-19, 06:02 AM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Almotion Microskin TLE
Likes For pakeboi:
Old 10-31-19, 11:43 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by suncruiser
This is actually right up the alley of what I'm looking for, thanks! I'm between that and the Panaracer Gravelking, both with gumwalls.
I tried commuting on the Gravelking slicks this last summer, and would advise against them. I had several flats in a few month period between a set of the regular Gravelkings, and a replacement set of the "puncture protection" versions.

I think they're great tires, it's hard to beat their lightness and speed for a wide tire, but they might not offer the best durability for frequent commuting.
Old 11-03-19, 11:09 AM
suncruiser

Originally Posted by Lava
I tried commuting on the Gravelking slicks this last summer, and would advise against them. I had several flats in a few month period between a set of the regular Gravelkings, and a replacement set of the "puncture protection" versions.

I think they're great tires, it's hard to beat their lightness and speed for a wide tire, but they might not offer the best durability for frequent commuting.
Gotcha. That being said, how do they handle (being microtread) on less than asphalt surface? I don't have much in the way of off pavement riding, but there are a few corners on the ride that it's easier to cut across a small dirt section, usually leaned in and relatively quick
Old 11-03-19, 11:44 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Funny, I've had some non-tubeless 28c GKs and they've been great. Only one flat in, I don't know, 4000 miles of riding. Admittedly, it was just a thorn, so maybe I just have a nice bike route. Usually the debris causing flats are screws, nails, or staples that would go through almost any tire.

As for looser surfaces, they are called Gravel Kings. I've done some rides on them that were much more suited for mountain bikes. They were fine on smooth and slightly gravelly double track.

My problems on single track were probably more my lack of handling skills- riding a bit too high up on the edge of the path and losing traction. Beat going off the other edge down the incline.

Edit to add: my only issues on double track were problems with traction on moderately loose but pretty steep sections- stuff where I was having problems climbing in my 34/28 low gear.

Last edited by Geekage; 11-03-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-11-19, 04:47 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts

I just switched to Gravelking SK's - they do make them in a tan sidewall variety too, I believe. Very cool, I wanted them but they had the black walls in stock at my LBS so...

They're a little more beefy than the slicker versions of the Gravelking and are available in 700x38C but you may want to try to get the 700x43C's to fit first because they have two more rows of treadblocks. Currently running tubes to get to work today but can't wait to go tubeless.

Here it is, set up for winter with the new Gravelking SK's (1st ride/1st commute on them) with bar mitts, lights, and fenders. FYI Size pictured is 700x43C on a very standard CX frame WITH FENDERS (bike shop guy said they wouldn't fit, they fit) so you should also try the 43mm size:

Last edited by davei1980; 11-11-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 04:56 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

I replied to one commenter in particular but, in general, if you're spending decent $$ on tubeless ready commuter tires you're not going to wind up with a bad tire unless you're really really trying. You'll get a good tire no matter what, maybe with some trade offs for weight, offroad traction etc. but you will be hard pressed to find a bad tire in this category.

You can buy very bad tires right now but not in the tubeless ready variety and if you can then the price will reflect.

I paid $92 for the pictured tires but they're the only part of the bike that touches the ground so......
Old 11-18-19, 08:52 PM
suncruiser

Thanks for all the info guys! I ended up going with Gravel king slicks, once I get my sealant (muc off) and my new brakes/brake cables I'm going to be sending them to Exhale (LBS of choice) for install. Looking forward to seeing the difference in how my baby rides and looks with the brownwalls (too dark to be gumwalls honestly)

Before pics, with the Nanos. Last pics before I get my vaya upgraded
These pictures don't do the paint justice...
Old 11-19-19, 01:05 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Thanks for all the info guys! I ended up going with Gravel king slicks, once I get my sealant (muc off) and my new brakes/brake cables I'm going to be sending them to Exhale (LBS of choice) for install. Looking forward to seeing the difference in how my baby rides and looks with the brownwalls (too dark to be gumwalls honestly)

Before pics, with the Nanos. Last pics before I get my vaya upgraded
These pictures don't do the paint justice...
Can't wait to see! you're not going to go wrong with the GKs - I love that they're made in Japan, quality tire.
Old 11-19-19, 01:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Thinking of going tubeless on my vaya, but having a hard time finding a good commuter tire that can be used tubeless. Need something in 700x35/37. Any suggestions? So far my leading prospect is the WTB riddler
Hmm. I have raced most of this season's CX series on the WTB Riddler. Great tire for dry grass or hardpack courses, but not what I normally think of as a commuting tire. Unless you're commuting on grass or hardpack dirt trails.
Old 11-20-19, 09:33 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by caloso
Hmm. I have raced most of this season's CX series on the WTB Riddler. Great tire for dry grass or hardpack courses, but not what I normally think of as a commuting tire. Unless you're commuting on grass or hardpack dirt trails.
700*38C Panaracer Gravelking SK
Likes For davei1980:
Old 12-13-19, 07:40 PM
suncruiser

I suppose I haven't held up to my promise of after pics

This thing is so much smoother riding! I've put about 50 miles on it so far with the new tires and brakes and the miles pass by so easy now!

Likes For suncruiser:
Old 12-16-19, 03:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Looks great (I say as a diehard fan of tan/brown sidewalls)!
Old 12-16-19, 10:08 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

I suppose I haven't held up to my promise of after pics

This thing is so much smoother riding! I've put about 50 miles on it so far with the new tires and brakes and the miles pass by so easy now!
Awesome ride!!!! +1 on the tan sidewalls! I kinda regret not getting them on my Gravelking SK tires, but the black walls look good with the black, silver, white aesthetic of my bike, as does the tan with the earthy aesthetic of yours.

My next bike will have disc brakes too - not for the stopping power, but because I want to run STUPID wide tires.
Old 12-16-19, 10:30 AM
KP_Doodie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm a certified Retrogrouch, so I was skeptical of tubeless, until I got a good deal on a new Giant Toughroad. Man, I really love them. I was amazed at how much less trouble they were, and I live in Utah where we have goathead thorns every inch or so even on pavement.

Very sharp bike, those tan sidewalls are sexy!
Old 12-16-19, 12:26 PM
suncruiser

Originally Posted by davei1980
Awesome ride!!!! +1 on the tan sidewalls! I kinda regret not getting them on my Gravelking SK tires, but the black walls look good with the black, silver, white aesthetic of my bike, as does the tan with the earthy aesthetic of yours.

My next bike will have disc brakes too - not for the stopping power, but because I want to run STUPID wide tires.
So far the rear brake on mine is needing adjustment, I want a little bit more power out back and it feels like they're not grabbing as well as I want. Little adjustments I think still. On the other side, I can't get these tires to break grip. They grip like a sonofa***** on pavement. I'm so pleased with this setup it's not funny
​​​
Likes For suncruiser:
Old 12-18-19, 03:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
So tubeless is all that, huh?

How do you get tires to break grip normally? I barely ever feel mine slip unless it is disastrously, and I don't ever try to make it happen.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-18-19, 03:46 PM
suncruiser

Originally Posted by noglider
So tubeless is all that, huh?

How do you get tires to break grip normally? I barely ever feel mine slip unless it is disastrously, and I don't ever try to make it happen.
I've been trying to get the front end to lose grip, mostly ripping the bars side to side to create enough sideways force on the tires to get them loose, or I lean hard into corners and push them by getting into sharper turns. I have yet to even slightly lose grip. All so I know the upper limits of the tires grip, which I apparently haven't quite found yet

All that AND a bag of chips I'm finding out
Likes For suncruiser:
Old 01-08-20, 11:20 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So far the rear brake on mine is needing adjustment, I want a little bit more power out back and it feels like they're not grabbing as well as I want. Little adjustments I think still. On the other side, I can't get these tires to break grip. They grip like a sonofa***** on pavement. I'm so pleased with this setup it's not funny
​​​
I wonder if the disk could use a cleaning, or the pads a light cleaning or very fine sanding? Maybe a little oil is on the disk.
Old 01-16-20, 02:41 PM
suncruiser

Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
I wonder if the disk could use a cleaning, or the pads a light cleaning or very fine sanding? Maybe a little oil is on the disk.
I'm thinking at this point it may have been just needing a bit more break in time and very minor adjustment. Turned in each pad about half turn, made little difference, however a nice long descent dragging the rear brake on and off seems to have cured that. I have it so it won't quite lock in the rear under most braking unless I'm on the front brake too, but there's enough power in the rear brake to accomplish what I want
Likes For suncruiser: