Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Old 12-03-19, 08:53 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Let It Die! Time To Start A New Thread!

After 1225 posts dating back to 2004 it's time to let this thread die a vainglorious death!

Notice, the background is in Celeste...

There is a lot of good information in this thread, the problem is scouring though 15 years of messages! It takes too long.

BG, you're an enabler... Don't encourage the newbies.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 12-09-19, 04:40 PM
PlanetaryDrive

Bikes: 83 Lotus Pegasus ATB, 86 Lotus Triomphe, 82 Bianchi Special,2010 GT Transeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hilarious but somewhat true, it is hard to find info buried within the thread. As a newbie I lurk in the background checking out and enjoying other folks machines. A dewey decimal system for blog post would be a huge help.
Old 12-09-19, 07:49 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexZBikes
Hi cycling peeps.

unfortunately I cannot attach pictures or a link

I recently purchased a Bianchi Minimax due to arrive this week from eBay/Italy. This project is a nostalgic endeavor. It’s meaningful as this is the era when I began racing road bikes.

Mostly I’m curious of its year and origin. I’d like the components to represent the frame date as accurately as possible. It’s pretty rough but it might just need an overhaul, frame detailing, headset and saddle.

I’ve spent hours looking up the serial number, model year, catalogs from Bianchi and Campagnolo... and although I’ve found some info there’s lots of conflicting information. I’m thinking this was a “minimax ‘91” frame purchase that took previous model year Campy “c record ‘88” I believe.

Here’s some info that might help: Sticker on chainstay “Costruita nel reparto corsa”. Bb shell is stamped Bianchi on nondrive side. Bianchi paint signature on rear toptube drive side.

SPECS—
frame: Bianchi Minimax serial A.1700 on the bb
size: 54 stamped on the bb
fork: Columbus EL
seat post: Campy Record 27.2
headset: Shimano 600(replacing w/ C-Record)
crank: Campy Record 170 39x53
brake/levers: Campy Delta
shifters: Campy Record friction
rear derailleur: record version? 7speed
front derailleur: record
wheels: Mavic hubs, SUP rims
freewheel: Regina 7 speed
saddle: unknown(replacing with model year race)
chain: unknown
pedals: campy toe clip

Thank you in advance for any support,

AlexZBike
hello and welcome to the forums. The MiniMAX was sadly a very short lived frame, like the MAX, and was only available in 92 and maybe 93. It was a fabulous frame made from EL OS but then ovalized like the Max tubeset.

don’t be in a huge rush to change out the headset. If it has a 600 on it now the fork may be too short to accept a taller CampI HS.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-11-19, 09:00 AM
6Speed
Professional Wrestler

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone help me with this one - serial number A770 on bottom of BB.
Old 12-17-19, 02:02 PM
AlexZBikes

Bikes: Many...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchigirl,
Thanks for the info. I have the minimax with record and just acquired another bike. Eddy Merckx MX leader-Telekom with duraace. Might be swapping parts to have them set up like team replica bikes...when I can find the time.
Old 01-04-20, 01:07 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by lukedunk
Hello all, contemplating my first vintage, or maybe neo-vintage project. Would love some help with ID of this particular frame, and suggestions on component spec.

Questions:
1. Can you ID exact model and year?
2. Anyone know with certainty the seatpost size? Definitely smaller than 27.2mm, but I measure anywhere between 26.5 and 26.8.
3. Exact headset and crown race size? The crown race currently on the fork is wrong size. Seems to be 1" steer tube but with a step out at bottom?
4. What are your thoughts on finish? I thought about repainting vs. stripping to a bare finish.

What I know:
- Made in Japan and Piaggio stickers suggest maybe Ishiwata tubing?
- S/N on bottom bracket = MH08461
- Rear spacing is 120mm, dropouts are stamped Shimano-*something*
- Fork spacing is 100mm, dropouts are stamped Tange-*something*
- Only model sticker I can read is "Super..." on both sides of top tube
- BB is BSA threaded (the bottom bracket partially installed was just to verify the threading and not original)
- I don't have any original components, acquired it as a frame/fork only

Pics attached, thanks for any help!
Edit: Can't post pics yet, album is here:
photos.app.goo.gl/gF6Baf7JLPRM7sGH7
Originally Posted by becave7
Hello. I picked up a Japanese Bianchi Super with serial number MY07581 and would like to know the make an year. Is this a 1975 or possibly an 85. Has Shimano Arabesque shift levers and derailleurs. VeloBase.com says the Shimano Arabesque group was make from 1978-1984 so I'm leaning towards 85. Very light bike but not my size so it's going to get cleaned, serviced and then gifted to a tall friend.
Originally Posted by SomeDuskyOne
I need help identifying my bike, but the "administrator won't let me post pics for a while." My Bianchi does not say Bianchi on the seat tube, it has increasing size hash marks on it in the middle. All Shimano 600 equipment, 2 x 6 gears, maroon and gold paint, made in Japan, shifters on downtube, brake levers say Dia Comp, It does have the Piaggo sticker on the seat tube as well as one that says CrMo. S/N is MA01117
These are all Bianchi Super models. The frames were made by Tsunoda of Japan.

From the serial numbers, the first letter "M" indicates the year of frame manufacture as 1981. The second letter in the serial number is for the month of manufacture.

The letters used in the serial number by Tsunoda for year and for month were not consecutive or in alphabetic order.
Likes For Hummer:
Old 01-06-20, 04:59 PM
KColeman32

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bianchi Identification Help

Hi Bianchi peeps. Would love some help here... I'm trying to determine the age and model of the Bianchi I rode for several years. The number underneath BB on drive side is "C1811." It is "costruita nel reparto corse Bianchi" on the chain stay tube. Colombus TSX Ultralight tubing. "Made in Italy" sticker, "Bianchi" stamped on top of non drive side bottom bracket. Underneath the BB, on non drive side is "57." Is that the size, seems smaller than 57cm to me. There is a stamping on the inside of both dropouts. It appears to be "TI14." Bianchi signature sticker on top tube. Sticker on headtube says Fabbrica Italiana Velocipedl. It has a pump braze-on on the head tube. For it's worth, it is all Dura Ace, six speed indexed shifting on downtube, I think Dura Ace 7400 series.

I'm also interested in knowing the value if anyone wants to opine. I'm going to post over in the Value & Appraisals board, but I need to take more pictures of the paint damages on the frame. Looks like I can't post pictures (it says can't post URLs), even though the posting rules say I "may post attachments." Is this the ten posts thing, and do edits count?
Thanks!
I think (hope) I've surpassed the ten post rule and can not post pic.s

Last edited by KColeman32; 07-01-20 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-14-20, 01:11 AM
Vintavelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
1962?

Originally Posted by John E
If you can figure out Bianchi serial numbers, Vincent, you are a far better man than I!

If anyone else is interested, we can start our own a Bianchi serial number database. I'll start with my two entries. To participate, just copy the body of the message and paste in your own entry. Let's try to keep it organized by year, then by model.

date
purchased model S/N

Dec. 1962 Corsa 2F51703

ca. 1981 Campione d'Italia 1M9914
Hi! Keep reading everything I can trying to find out what bike serial # 2L04932 is? The 2F Corsa is closest to anything I’ve found. 2L (58cm) Any input’s really appreciated.
Old 01-14-20, 08:21 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintavelo
Hi! Keep reading everything I can trying to find out what bike serial # 2L04932 is? The 2F Corsa is closest to anything I’ve found. 2L (58cm) Any input’s really appreciated.
That format is pre-1980s. It indicates the frame was manufactured very late in a year that ends in a 2 and would be a model for a year ending in a 3. Statistically speaking, a 1973 model is more likely than 1963. If it's 1973, the S/N would be stamped on the front collar of the top head lug. Pictures would be needed to try to determine the model.
Old 01-14-20, 10:27 AM
Vintavelo

1973?

Old 01-14-20, 10:37 AM
Vintavelo

1973?

Thank you much T-mar! Do you know how many 73 colors were avail. Going back to orig. go w/red decals, gum, Brooks & blue? - Record?
Old 01-14-20, 04:05 PM
T-Mar

Definitely not a high end model. A high end 1963 model would have used an integral headset. A high end 1973 model would have used forged rear dropouts with an integral derailleur hanger. To me, it looks like a 1973 model, a Rekord 71 or possibly a Strada frameset. I've seen the Strada in royal blue and red, while the Rekord 71 is typically cleste. What's the seat post diameter? I assume those lugs are just polished steel? That's a huge chainring - 54? Crankset, and rear derailleur would be too high end for either model.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 01-14-20, 05:18 PM
Vintavelo

71-73 Strada?

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Definitely not a high end model. A high end 1963 model would have used an integral headset. A high end 1973 model would have used forged rear dropouts with an integral derailleur hanger. To me, it looks like a 1973 model, a Rekord 71 or possibly a Strada frameset. I've seen the Strada in royal blue and red, while the Rekord 71 is typically cleste. What's the seat post diameter? I assume those lugs are just polished steel? That's a huge chainring - 54? Crankset, and rear derailleur would be too high end for either model.
Yes polished the lugs & everything I could.
Yes 54. Also Regina Oro. Looks like crankset, BB, shifters, brakes, stem & bars were original?
Post diameter? Idk? Have seen those plate dropouts on 62 Rekord? Wondered if somebody didn’t put those on? Thought about switching them to a good Campy D/O. Guess I’ll look ahead for sumpin else to build - All Campy; Cinelli? I like the Celeste green w/red, just says Italiano! Bellisimo!
Old 01-14-20, 05:29 PM
Vintavelo

Bunk (RED) Bike

Pat yr 78 Nuovo Record (really nice) - Also F/D appears to be a match NOS w/box. I’ll run the old matchbox (looks good w/shifters)
Thnx fer yer imput - 1st build, hooked on brass, braised, steel, polished lug, Campagnolo equipped, road bikes!
Old 01-16-20, 10:45 PM
Dr Bianchi

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Wow really nice red bianchi,
Likes For Dr Bianchi:
Old 01-16-20, 10:59 PM
Vintavelo

Red Bianchi

Originally Posted by Dr Bianchi
Wow really nice red bianchi,
Thanx! Do you happen to know what it is? A knowledgeable member here said “Strada” - Too nice, original components say otherwise? Rear “plate” D/O throws it off?

Last edited by Vintavelo; 01-16-20 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 01-17-20, 08:21 AM
T-Mar

Yes polished the lugs & everything I could.
Yes 54. Also Regina Oro. Looks like crankset, BB, shifters, brakes, stem & bars were original?
Post diameter? Idk? Have seen those plate dropouts on 62 Rekord? Wondered if somebody didn’t put those on? Thought about switching them to a good Campy D/O. Guess I’ll look ahead for sumpin else to build - All Campy; Cinelli? I like the Celeste green w/red, just says Italiano! Bellisimo!
Yes, I've seen those rear dropouts on circa 1962 Bianchi too. But if you look at the head lugs from that era, you'll see they are a different pattern, with spear points and bell shaped openings for the cups of an an integral headset (see attached picture). Those dropouts were still being used circa 1972-1973 and the Agrati, lugs, conventional headset and serial number placement on your frame all point towards a 1970s model.

We know the rear derailleur is not a match based it's patent date and the serial number. Consequently, there's a good chance that some other components were also updated. I don't think that the crankset is OEM. The bars. stems, brakes and front derailleur could be original. Speaking of the front derailleur, based on the position of the cage mounting screw, it's a Valentino, as as opposed to a Gran Sport. The Valentino wasn't available in 1962-1963 but was in 1972-1973. A picture of the body, showing where the push rod exits, will also us to conclusively determine the model..

Changing the dropouts is is a lot of effort and money, if you're not a skilled brazer. Frankly, it's not worth it, if is the level that I believe it to be. My first step would be to measure the diameter of the seat post, which would indicate the grade of tubeset used in the frame.
Old 01-17-20, 09:32 AM
Vintavelo

72 Strada

Yes, I've seen those rear dropouts on circa 1962 Bianchi too. But if you look at the head lugs from that era, you'll see they are a different pattern, with spear points and bell shaped openings for the cups of an an integral headset (see attached picture). Those dropouts were still being used circa 1972-1973 and the Agrati, lugs, conventional headset and serial number placement on your frame all point towards a 1970s model.

We know the rear derailleur is not a match based it's patent date and the serial number. Consequently, there's a good chance that some other components were also updated. I don't think that the crankset is OEM. The bars. stems, brakes and front derailleur could be original. Speaking of the front derailleur, based on the position of the cage mounting screw, it's a Valentino, as as opposed to a Gran Sport. The Valentino wasn't available in 1962-1963 but was in 1972-1973. A picture of the body, showing where the push rod exits, will also us to conclusively determine the model..

Changing the dropouts is is a lot of effort and money, if you're not a skilled brazer. Frankly, it's not worth it, if is the level that I believe it to be. My first step would be to measure the diameter of the seat post, which would indicate the grade of tubeset used in the frame.
Thank you so much! Finally decided to go w/it like this thinking it was fair game as a lower end. It came w/2 sets of Campy chainrings so good call on crankset not being original. Valentino FD not GS, came w/a Nuovo Record matching R. 78,
Appreciate the knowledge.
I’ll start Looking for another frame set.
54.5mm? - 1 in. on seat post diam.
72 Strada! ✌️
72 ReKord w/replaced F&R D’s & Crankset 🚵🏾‍♀️

Last edited by Vintavelo; 01-17-20 at 10:19 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 01-17-20, 11:37 AM
Vintavelo

72 Strada/ReKord - Paint mock up

Thank you T-Mar & Dr. Bianchi!
Old 01-18-20, 09:33 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Seat Lug Numbers

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what date-range Bianchi used seat lug only for serial numbers? And was it even limited to dates or did it differ by models? What would an "A" on one side and number "0241" on the other tell me besides date? Anything? Bianchi serial numbers seem a little odd.
Old 01-18-20, 10:47 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what date-range Bianchi used seat lug only for serial numbers? And was it even limited to dates or did it differ by models? What would an "A" on one side and number "0241" on the other tell me besides date? Anything? Bianchi serial numbers seem a little odd.
A serial number that is split between both sides of the seat lug, indicates an Italian manufactured frame from the Piaggio era (i.e. early 1980s). The drive side typically has a two character, alpha-numeric stamp, which is the date code. You've got the alpha character, but are missing the critical numeral, so all I can say is that it's Italian manufacture from the beginning of a year in the early 1980s. The numbers on other side of the lug is the sequential frame number for the (unknown) date period.
Old 01-18-20, 11:00 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
A serial number that is split between both sides of the seat lug, indicates an Italian manufactured frame from the Piaggio era (i.e. early 1980s). The drive side typically has a two character, alpha-numeric stamp, which is the date code. You've got the alpha character, but are missing the critical numeral, so all I can say is that it's Italian manufacture from the beginning of a year in the early 1980s. The numbers on other side of the lug is the sequential frame number for the (unknown) date period.
Thanks! It is a 1984 Tipo Corsa that I bought and built myself at that time. I was working at a Schwinn shop that didn't carry Bianchi, so I got it at dealer pricing from another shop we were very friendly with. I never really thought about checking its serial number since I took it out of the original box myself!
Old 01-18-20, 11:44 PM
Dr Bianchi

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Wow you got new tire looking good.
Old 01-21-20, 03:14 PM
jendog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to this, have older bianchi, no idea the year but SN: WA80601865A. Classic green, 56" frame Campione. Haven't seen any posts with this long of a number or later alphabet. Any ideas about yr?
Old 01-21-20, 04:57 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by jendog
New to this, have older bianchi, no idea the year but SN: WA80601865A. Classic green, 56" frame Campione. Haven't seen any posts with this long of a number or later alphabet. Any ideas about yr?
Hello and welcome to the forums. Tells us a bit more about it. Is there a tubing decal? What brand and model components are on it?

Does it look like this? It is around an '93 and made in Taiwan, they were pretty nice bikes and I am looking for it's '94 purple sister

This one is heavily modified.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 01-22-20 at 06:25 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.