Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sakae Low Fat pedals.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sakae Low Fat pedals.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 02:30 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Sakae Low Fat pedals.

I never heard of these before, but

apparently, they’re right up there with XT platform pedals. 🤔 These are marked MTP-129, which was the top model of Low Fat pedals, and cost $29.99-ish new. They seem to be in great shape, and I’ve been looking for some nicer platforms, for my Cannondale. 😎

The best part was the price, got these and some XT thumbies (M732) in a bag of stuff, at a thrift store, for $4.50. 😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 01-17-20, 02:55 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I never heard of these before, but

apparently, they’re right up there with XT platform pedals. 🤔 These are marked MTP-129, which was the top model of Low Fat pedals, and cost $29.99-ish new. They seem to be in great shape, and I’ve been looking for some nicer platforms, for my Cannondale. 😎

The best part was the price, got these and some XT thumbies (M732) in a bag of stuff, at a thrift store, for $4.50. 😁
Bikepro's once-great catalog is still maintained partially. Here is their write-up.

That's a good score. Xt thumbies have kept their value over the years.
Old 01-17-20, 03:09 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Nice patina... sounds like you made a good purchase. I never find any sort of bicycle parts at our local fleas.
Old 01-17-20, 03:18 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I remember these from the very late 1980s. Like most quill pedals, they quickly lost popularity when Shimano introduced their off-road SPD clipless pedal in 1990.
Old 01-17-20, 10:14 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Low profile, fat performance!

I use them with toe clips and street shoes. No pedal is easier to flip over wearing sandals. These are my go-to for commuting and tandems, where upside-down use and a fast flip-in is paramount.

The trouble with them (and I can say this, owning and maintaining at least four pair) is that the bearings are smaller than most pedal bearings, so they wear faster. That's the trade-off with "low-profile" that they touted. It's undeniably worth it, from my perspective at least.
Old 01-18-20, 05:09 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
I have a couple pair and really like them.
Old 01-18-20, 04:49 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Thanks for the input. 🙂 I could tell these are pretty nice, but a little reinforcement is always good too. 😉

I’ll definitely repack them, before mounting them, but it doesn’t feel like they really “need” it. Just routine preventative maintenance.

Hey, you guys never told me about the Lost Dutchman’s Mine, somewhere’s here around Phoenix. It looks like a pretty easy ride, from here in Apache Junction. 🤔😁
Old 01-18-20, 08:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The only Sakae Low Fat pedals I've used were the plastic versions that came with my early '90s Univega. They were mediocre and probably a detriment to the reputation of the model name. Probably should have named them something else, like No-Go, or Take-Off-Pronto.
Old 01-18-20, 09:08 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The only Sakae Low Fat pedals I've used were the plastic versions that came with my early '90s Univega. They were mediocre and probably a detriment to the reputation of the model name. Probably should have named them something else, like No-Go, or Take-Off-Pronto.
Yeah, it really is a problem. When I tell people the Low Fats are my go-to, many turn up their noses, and at first I was confused because I'd never seen the plastic version. When I finally found a surviving (albeit broken) one, it became clear. Sakae's '90s bean-counters were coming back like zombies to ruin my credibility.
Old 01-21-20, 10:12 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 218 Posts
Best packaging ever...they first shipped in a milk carton.
Old 01-21-20, 10:45 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Best packaging ever...they first shipped in a milk carton.
Ha, that’s pretty funny. 😁 I obviously thought of dairy products, right away, when I first saw these, but figured it was just my “slightly off” sense of humor. I might have done a cottage cheese tub, if I were in that position. 🤔
Old 01-21-20, 03:54 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by stardognine
Thanks for the input. 🙂 I could tell these are pretty nice, but a little reinforcement is always good too. 😉

I’ll definitely repack them, before mounting them, but it doesn’t feel like they really “need” it. Just routine preventative maintenance.

Hey, you guys never told me about the Lost Dutchman’s Mine, somewhere’s here around Phoenix. It looks like a pretty easy ride, from here in Apache Junction. 🤔😁
I did ride out there yesterday, and grabbed a few pics. I posted those in the touring forum, if anyone’s interested, in a thread called “Superstition Mountain”. Good thing I didn’t go today, it’s raining here. 🙄🙂
Old 01-21-20, 09:15 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I have a black set in my pedals drawer. Have never had them on a bike. They look pretty decent though.