Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 09-12-19, 06:29 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
This Somec has been featured on The Pedal Room for some time , I think it's cool .

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/for-s...-pursuit-19696

Old 09-12-19, 07:29 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Some TT trivia , what is the little lever for ?

Old 09-12-19, 08:08 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
Not sure........lets see if anyone else knows.
I remember this very well! The switch went from indexed to friction shifting. It was Campy’s Response to early ‘SIS’ shimano indexed shifting
Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-12-19, 08:12 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by markwesti
This Somec has been featured on The Pedal Room for some time , I think it's cool .

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/for-s...-pursuit-19696

W
When I get a chance I’m going to take a screenshot of my 1986 high school yearbook where I was obsessed with drawing the “Cicli Somec” logos
Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-12-19, 08:14 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by robbyville
I remember this very well! The switch went from indexed to friction shifting. It was Campy’s Response to early ‘SIS’ shimano indexed shifting
those levers were so beautiful, smooth, sculpted
Likes For robbyville:
Old 09-13-19, 11:56 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts

Cinelli Super Corsa TT.

I can't add too many comments. Fine, not exaggerated shape of geometry. But still, when it leans against the wall, even as if it was rushing

And two Colnago Masters. The first is for the unusual but still great colour combination. The track bike is for its clean, graceful shape.

Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 09-13-19, 02:05 PM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts

A mid 1970s Roberts TT bicycle (built by Charlie Roberts, Geoff Roberts or Derek Bailey - my guess is Charlie) I'm rarely seduced by fancy paintjobs - I've seen what poor worksmanship is often hidden by fancy paint.

First time I have seen hellenic stays on a Colnago

John.

Last edited by hobbs1951; 09-13-19 at 02:09 PM.
Likes For hobbs1951:
Old 09-14-19, 10:24 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

This is a fantastic post. There is so much excellence that it is hard to know where to begin. I will start with my favorite which is the first Colnago Master in the orange cream color. The paint color is gorgeous and the pattern is cool and it makes a great effect. Look at those lugs! It looks almost like the Arabesque....beautiful. This is why lugs are so much a part of the aesthetic of a bicycle. And look at the color of the downtube shifters! And look at the shape of the tubing. Next to really wow comes the disc wheels. They are awesome for their clever design which matches the frame paint patterns and makes the whole bike look sensational.

The second Colnago has an interesting paint job but what stands out for me is that very cool Campy disc wheel with the four holes. It looks very cool and must be very rare I would imagine. I am afraid to see the price tag on one of these wheels. The Cinelli TT is a bit more ordinary looking but is a fantastic bike I am sure...I do not see very many Cinelli TT's. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I love that saddle for sure. Thank you for the fantastic post and please be sure and post some more TT's in the future. It will help make this thread great.

Thanks for your kind words!

From your topic opener fantastic Paletti Ghibli's handlebar tape reminded me of this other beauty what I've seen before.

Colnago Super/Mexico TT

...and a Master track again with same paint work:

I'll push two other beauties here.A Renaissance Bottecchia (after the Florence Cathedral) and a bold Bianchi. These bikes are obviously not as efficient as Moser's 51.151 bike, but they are very attractive in their aesthetics.

Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 09-15-19, 05:53 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Here's an interesting late 90's custom frame. Fork isn't original. I just put it on to show the geometry. Interesting seat stay/chain stay design. Tubing is aero-shaped Reynolds 853. Sort of visible in the second photo.

Likes For AeroGut:
Old 09-15-19, 06:54 PM
AeroGut

That is an unusual frame for the late nineties. Are you sure that it is not from the early nineties? The reason I ask is that I have not seen downward sloping top tubes from the that late. I could be wrong but I have just not seen them. If anyone can correct me please do. Maybe it is because it is custom. As I understand it, at some point the sloping tubes and small front wheel were banned for official races. Does this frame fit a 650 front wheel? Forgive my ignorance please. I love the name "Mako Shark" though!

Well thanks for sharing this bike and please do send more pictures of vintage time trial bikes that you really like. Enjoy the ride.
The reason for assuming late 90's is that Reynolds 853 didn't come out until 95, so if that decal is legit, it's at least 95. As for the front wheel, it's possible it had a 650 front wheel, but that would make for an even more aggressive downward slope. Since I don't have the original fork, I can't be sure though. It wasn't until 2000 that the UCI required both wheels to be the same size, so it certainly could have taken 650 front even if used in UCI-regulated races in the late 90's. As I understand the UCI rule, sloping top tubes were still okay, as long as the wheels were the same size and the frame was a triangle.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 09-16-19, 01:50 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Here is the man from Navarre's Espada.

Likes For hobbs1951:
Old 09-16-19, 02:27 AM
AeroGut

. Interesting that UCI didn't make that tule till the year 2000
Correction: the 2000 UCI rule was for the hour record. I don’t know the timing of the same size wheel requirement for road TTs. For this bike, though, the slope may be just because of the large frame size, since it is sloping even with both wheels 700c.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 09-16-19, 03:40 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
These are very cool and utterly early examples of TT's! Wow. These pictures I have never seen. I love the drama on the faces of the racers. These are very cool bikes and they move the dates back a couple years it looks like. Thanks and please post some more cool pictures. Have a great day. P.S. Can you please post in a reply a link to your sources for these pictures and information. It would help educate me and others. Thanks.
sure, the upper pic is from the Assos company website, and the other i found at a "Textima"-related website. (There are a few but all of them in german i fear)
The history of Textima is fascinating:
Given the very limited resources at hand in the former GDR, what they achieved is nothing short of amazing. They couldn't just buy the newest and best, so they had to be ingenious. They went to wind tunnels, they mixed tubesets, they hand-rolled Reynolds tubes to oval shape and hand-flattened spokes.One of them, Pyttel, is still active with a bike shop in Rastatt near Karlsruhe. He does framebuilding classes in his Textima- and FES-decorated shop which are rumoured to have very long class days ending with story telling. Olaf Ludwig lives nearby and often drops in.

Ludwig, Altig, Pyttel

Cycling legends Olaf Ludwig, Rudi Altig, Christian Pyttel in Pyttels shop. On the wall an German olympic team FES road team TT bike.

Last edited by martl; 09-16-19 at 03:48 AM.
Likes For martl:
Old 09-16-19, 04:34 PM
LDBenjamin

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Haluzak Horizon, Mongoose Brutus, Roland MTB, Sinclair A-Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those Dia-Compe aero brakes are, in my opinion, the most attractive ones from that era, or any era really. I have one on my Schwinn Madison, with a Campy drop bolt to reach the rims as they don't have much room for adjustment.
Likes For LDBenjamin:
Old 09-16-19, 06:25 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 135 Posts
This is a poor picture, but it is stored in an upstairs bedroom. This came from someone local to Osell. It reportedly sat in his shop since new and was never sold. Don't know if that is true, but it doesn't look like it was ridden. The saddle and seat post was mine, but all the 105 components came with it. Cool bike and I want to get it on the road at least once.

Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 09-17-19, 09:34 AM
Rothbj1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the red white and blue. This is a cool example of an American time trial and I think this is a bit more affordable. It certainly looks cool. What is your crankset and how does this machine feel when you ride it?
Thanks for the awesome post and please feel free to keep posting more Vintage TT, Crono, Pursuit, Velodrome, as that would be excellent.

Is that a 650C front wheel, or is it even smaller?
Old 09-18-19, 07:41 AM
jaknudsen

Bikes: 2019 Canyon Neuron, 2014 Cotic Escapade, 2012 Cannondale RZ 120 XLR 2, 2010 Gary Fisher Ion Pro, 2002 Cannondale F800, 1996 Kona Kilauea

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome thread! But still missing the Modolo Kronotech by Bottecchia:

Likes For jaknudsen:
Old 09-19-19, 09:41 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts

Sean Kelly 1983 Time Trial
Old 09-20-19, 09:46 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 135 Posts
If you have any pictures of yourself racing a vintage time trial bike or even perched on top of it please post it on this thread. In the meantime and in the interest of getting these out there before they disappear and because these are great pictures I will continue along the same theme:

What is that handlebar? Does it have just half a bar?
Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 09-22-19, 10:12 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
put a wood surfboard mini fender on the back to troll the surfers on the beach i ride to.
I love this!! I have two pair of Woody's but I don't think I ever saw this on their site

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-22-19, 10:35 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I love this!! I have two pair of Woody's but I don't think I ever saw this on their site
he did this as a custom job for me. part of my riding route is by the surfer end of my local beach, so the idea occurred for a surf board fender! here is a the 2nd one he made.
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 09-23-19, 03:57 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 65 Posts
Nice bikes! I'd love to ride one of those steel ones (Somec? Yes please! :-)) during a triathlon... Would be fun!

Sadly, the wheels need to have the same size nowadays. Even during a triathlon. But still...
Likes For Millstone:
Old 09-23-19, 05:36 AM
Old Fireleg

... And a picture of a earlier time when Moser still hadn't fallen victim to a fatal misunderstanding.

Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 09-27-19, 06:19 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I love this bike and other ones that are like it! So interesting and dramatic. I have not been able to figure out how the bulging front wheel would be helpful as far as air flow dynamics. Maybe somebody could explain that. I love the color on this bike too. I can't even imagine what this bike would cost today as a collector's item. Imagine riding down the street on one of these! Was the frame made of carbon or what? I think the handlebars on this are not original to the bike though. I love FIR disc wheels. Thanks for sharing this most excellent bike. I need one to show up at a garage sale ......ha ha ha.
Look up 'shape effects' on drag', flat plate aerodynamics, etc. I really like the Battaglin!
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 09-29-19, 07:35 AM
SvenMN 

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Enjoying this thread...

Compared to some of these "exotics" my contribution is quite traditional :-) Another Prologue TT, this one from late '87 (if I am remembering correctly).

Had to dredge up a picture from back in 2015, as it has been hanging at the LBS for awhile and now temporarily stored away. Mostly Tricolor, as that is what I had on hand when I built it back from a bare eBay frame.

I like the color and quality of the paint work, and the fact that it is so unusual to ride. Rode one TT on it, as I figured it deserved it. Interesting experience.

Likes For SvenMN:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.