Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

LBS Damaged Our Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS Damaged Our Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-22, 04:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,994 Times in 3,087 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
We got our tandem back yesterday, and the damage looks like what you would expect a top tube to look like when someone put a clamp on it. A couple of dents. The paint is intact. I wonder if it really is worth repairing. Stripping, shipping etc. are just more chances for something to go wrong. I'll talk to the shop owner and CoMotion and see how much this is going to cost. I'm guessing, all told, it could be around a thousand or so, and I don't think the shop owner should be on hook for that considering it's really close to cosmetic damage. If I do decide to repair it, I would chip in something.
I really don't see why you should chip something in? They did something silly and damaged your bike.

If it is purely cosmetic and you are not that bothered about going through all the hassle of getting it repaired (which I can understand) then I would ask the shop for some future credit as compensation. I'm sure they'll go for that as it's less hassle for everyone.
Old 04-28-22, 05:15 AM
Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I really don't see why you should chip something in? They did something silly and damaged your bike.

If it is purely cosmetic and you are not that bothered about going through all the hassle of getting it repaired (which I can understand) then I would ask the shop for some future credit as compensation. I'm sure they'll go for that as it's less hassle for everyone.
Earlier in this thread, a misguided poster implied the damage to my bike was Karma because I (took/brought) it to a different LBS than my regular shop. Although there is no dispute on liability, the LBS is a good person and an acquaintance. Our community is small and tight and none of our independently owned small local bike shops have huge profit margins. As a small business owner myself, I'm open to negotiating a mutually agreeable settlement for the sake of Karma or Good Will. I'll talk to to the LBS and also Co-Motion, and come to an acceptable solution.
Old 04-28-22, 06:37 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7074 Post(s)
Liked 11,153 Times in 4,763 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski

Or let them get it repaired, but then (upon reassembly) pay the shop to do some upgrades and/or routine maintenance. It's a good opportunity to do that, anyway, when the bike is stripped down.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-22, 09:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,357 Posts
it stinks to break stuff. as a young photo assistant, I dropped 2 lenses for two diff. pros. they were not happy w/ me but I didn't have to pay for them & I didn't lose my job. in that line of work, redundancy & insurance are key
Old 04-28-22, 06:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7074 Post(s)
Liked 11,153 Times in 4,763 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
it stinks to break stuff. as a young photo assistant, I dropped 2 lenses for two diff. pros. they were not happy w/ me but I didn't have to pay for them & I didn't lose my job. in that line of work, redundancy & insurance are key
oof.

I once dropped a pro-level Nikon with a 135mm f2 lens off a 15-foot tall stage riser. Even with the insurance, that cost me a fair bit of money.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-22, 07:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
oof
yeah some lessons are learned the hard way
Old 04-28-22, 07:58 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 257 Posts
When I worked in shops back in the 1970's and 80's any tandem that came in, I hooked the front of the seat over the bike stand clamp. I never clamped the stand to the bike. I was taught that the extra strain and weight on the frame tubes or lugs could cause problems. It's good that the shop wants to make good. It's not good that they didn't know how to work on a tandem safely.

Interesting thing is that even today with my own bikes, I still hook my seat over the clamp even though they aren't tandems. The new thin-walled steel tubes just feel like they can't take any pressure. The only time I clamp my bikes is if I have to adjust the derailleurs or true the wheels. And even then, I clamp around the seat post not the frame. I may be paranoid but I've never, not once ruined or broken a bike under my repair.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 04-28-22 at 08:02 PM.
Likes For drlogik: