Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Studded tires in brown slop?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 02-07-20, 08:53 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

We have some snow and sure enough once again the city in its infinite wisdom salted some of the side roads but didn't plow them which means the sale turned the snow and other crap to a lovely thick brown slop that has no traction as it's very much like a thick grease to ride on.

I've read elsewhere that studded tires are NOT much help in snow. Does this also hold true fro this greasy brown slop?

My technique thus far for dealing with this slop is just to reducee the air pressure in my tires some. I use knobby 26" x 2.125" tires.

Thanks and cheers
Old 02-07-20, 10:25 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
It probably depends highly on what's underneath it. If it's ice underneath (probably not if it's salted) then the studs would definitely help. If your tires are 'cutting through' the slop to the asphalt, then your strategy of just lowering the pressure and going slow is likely the best.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-07-20, 10:30 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
It probably depends highly on what's underneath it. If it's ice underneath (probably not if it's salted) then the studs would definitely help. If your tires are 'cutting through' the slop to the asphalt, then your strategy of just lowering the pressure and going slow is likely the best.
No ice under or at least the tires aren't reaching it. What it's like is a thick grease that sits on top of the pavement. This salted deep brown slop is actually worse than riding on ice with the same tires with reduced air pressure. This brown slop just moves around under the tires and can make steering rather interesting.
Old 02-07-20, 10:40 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
That "brown sugar" snow is tough to ride in. Fat bikes are probably the best for it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-07-20, 10:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
studs are good on hard stuff, like ice. I think they might be helpful if your tires can make it down to the pavement

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-12-20 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-07-20, 11:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Miele Man
I only have experience with 26x1.65 Suomi Nokian W-106 studded snow tires, and only the last three winters, and my experience is the studs only help on ice. Deep tread and lower tire pressure help in snow, and lower tire pressure and the softer, grippier compound help with cold, greasy pavement...up to a point.

And for me, commuting in Colorado Springs, the main issue is ice, that lingers in the shadows. I had to think hard as to where I encounter "brown slop", but I know of at least one 90 corner and it is slick even with low pressure and sticky winter tires.

And now that I think about it, it is a perfect storm of crud. Dips and potholes almost ensure many cars bottom out spilling grease and oil. Lower income apartments with fleets of oil-leaking beaters, and an auto repair shop a block away, plus a school two blocks past ensure sanding and plenty of traffic to melt the snow and ice, but it's shady, so not enough sun to evaporate the moisture.

A quarter mile away is an always icy alley on a hill where the studs shine, especially when I pass stuck cars going uphill!
Old 02-07-20, 12:23 PM
Notso_fastLane

It's possible in those conditions that a thin winter tire (similar to a Conti Top Contact Winter) might be the best, but unless you're willing to always swap tires in and out, or have a lot of bikes, you're probably just better off going slow until it melts away.

I ride a 3 wheeler in the winter, so I can handle a lot more sliding and spinning.
Old 02-07-20, 02:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
700x40mm studded tire run at lower pressure would be fine for the conditions you describe. That's what I used early this morning on my commute to work.
Old 02-07-20, 06:27 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
The studs themselves do not help unless there is an ice layer beneath the brown sugar. However, studded tires have aggressive tread, unlike summer slicks. That's why they are good in winter.
Old 02-07-20, 06:36 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
It's possible in those conditions that a thin winter tire (similar to a Conti Top Contact Winter) might be the best, but unless you're willing to always swap tires in and out, or have a lot of bikes, you're probably just better off going slow until it melts away.

I ride a 3 wheeler in the winter, so I can handle a lot more sliding and spinning.
I was thinking along the lines of a thinner tire to cut through as well. If there is no ice the Continentals could be just about as good.

I used to have a set of the 26in. Schwabe studs and seem to remember they floated on top of the snow which caused slipping.

I now run 700c tires with inner Continental Winters. And set of 35c Schwalbe Winters. Only ridden the Schwalbes in a dusting, so dont know how well they cut through.
Old 02-07-20, 08:20 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
Where I am (Ottawa, Canada), there usually is a layer of ice under the "brown sugar". I use studs, but nothing I've tried makes it easy.
Old 02-07-20, 08:44 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

what would that be? One wheel drive?
Old 02-08-20, 03:46 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
It's winter. There's going to be slush and ice and snow and mud and any combination of these that will try to make you fall. No type of tire will be perfect for every one or combination of these conditions. Cycle carefully.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-09-20, 06:07 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve encountered ice under snow, slush, sugar mush and puddle crossings. I use studs and don’t worry about it. Winter rides aren’t about going fast, they’re just about going out. I ride W240’s and Mount & Grounds, the tread patterns seem to help.
Old 02-09-20, 10:16 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by veloz
I’ve encountered ice under snow, slush, sugar mush and puddle crossings. I use studs and don’t worry about it. Winter rides aren’t about going fast, they’re just about going out. I ride W240’s and Mount & Grounds, the tread patterns seem to help.
What he said! Winter rides are seldom one type of snow at all times. Even packed powder isn’t the same at all times. There are hard spots, soft spots, clear spots and icy spots all on the same road and often within just a few feet of each other. Studs aren’t fun to ride but they do just fine in almost all conditions than plain dry pavement. And even there, they work well enough to get you down the road.

That said, I’m not one of the “cut through to pavement” crowd. The times when my wide(er) tires cut through to the pavement don’t result in better control or traction or stability. Rolling over the snow or ice or slush is better than digging down into it. Digging into it bogs down momentum and that makes control, traction, and stability worse not better.

Rolling over the snow and having a suspension system does wonders for that control, traction and stability for the same reasons it makes mountain biking easier for all three of those. A front shock...at a minimum...allows the wheel to roll up and out of ruts rather than be trapped in them. With a rigid fork, the wheel has to counter-steer into the rut but it can’t until the rut changes enough. The suspension fork allows the fork to counter-steer by allowing to climb the sides of the rut. Add in rear suspension and the rear traction is greatly improved because the bike squats down on the wheel and presses it into the snow (or trail).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-10-20, 10:57 AM
Notso_fastLane

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
what would that be? One wheel drive?
Yes. Tadpole configuration velomobile. I'm just running Marathon+s on all three wheels, but I have the luxury of driving if it gets really bad (only 4 days so far this winter).

I would like to eventually get a full offroad capable trike that I can ride on those days.
Old 02-10-20, 01:32 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Not all studded tires are equal. Schwalbe Marathon Winter has a rather tame tread and don’t do well in soft ”snow” of any color.
Nokian/Suomityres W106 are only a tad better.
Nokian/Suomityres w240 has a more ”open” tread and do reasonably well on soft snow.
Whether to try to cut through or float on top can be endlessly debated.
IME, you need some degree of firmness under compression for FOT to work. And some of the nastier kinds of brown slop can be as inclined to try to get away from out under your tires like stepping on wet soaps.
For bad slop conditions I prefer the 32mm wide over the 47mm.
Old 02-12-20, 04:19 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
My studded 35mm tires do nothing in the mashed potatoes the OP described. They just founder and fishtail.

Without my Pugsley, I’d be stuck.
Old 02-12-20, 05:15 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
In my experience there is NOTHING that really helps with brown slushy snirt, especially when the temperature is juuust warm enough for it to be greasy and/or it is more than about 4" deep. Ten degrees colder, it'll crisp up enough to get SOME grip (ish), but mostly I just curse and find a different route (including the sidewalk if that's the only choice), or take the bus.

Twelve years in Calgary - I have used four different bikes with multiple tire combinations trying to find the Holy Grail; 26", 700c, and 29" wheels, Schwalbe Winter and Marathon Winter in several different widths (30mm to 2"), Continental Top Contact Winter (37mm), Schwalbe Ice Spiker in a 2.5" width, borrowed a fatbike for half a day... they all handled ice, packed snow, and moderate amounts of fresh snow pretty well, but six inches of churned up snirt defeated all of them. February is a bad month for it; thanks to chinook cycles we currently have a lot of that crap layered over very lumpy ice, topped off with yesterday's inch of fresh snow. FUN.

My e-bike (with a Marathon Winter 29 x 2" on the front) has actually been handling amazingly well - the extra weight and long wheelbase really seem to help in loose slush/snirt, but I'm not brave enough to really push it in deeper stuff. And today I just hated everything.
Old 02-12-20, 06:48 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
+1
Old 09-05-20, 07:10 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Marathon Winter tires on 20" wheels work well for me in the "mashed potatoes".

Riding in the "Mashed Potatoes"
Likes For sweeks:
Old 09-14-20, 10:42 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
My studded 35mm tires do nothing in the mashed potatoes the OP described. They just founder and fishtail.

Fortunately it's usually too cold in the Twin Cities for that kind of slop.
Old 09-15-20, 03:26 PM
parkbrav

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai

Yeah, I have 700X30C and they do a lot of fish-tailing in these conditions
Old 09-19-20, 12:33 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Fortunately it's usually too cold in the Twin Cities for that kind of slop.
Not true. I live in St. Paul.

After they salt the heck out of the roads, it's all brown mashed potatoes. In fact, here in the Twin Cities is where I learned the term for that kind of dense wet snow.

And the OP is writing from ONTARIO, CANADA.
Old 09-20-20, 02:35 AM
Miele Man

I'm in South Central Ontario, and I detest that brown 'slop' that I refer to as grease. Unless the studs go all the way through that and bite into either ice or the asphalt, the traction is negligible For that crap, I'm seriously thinking about putting on a small 20" side-car like device (that can be folded up to the side of the bicycle when not needed) to stabilize the bicycle this winter.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.