Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Pro Cyclist Suffers Broken Arm During Altercation With Park Rangers

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Pro Cyclist Suffers Broken Arm During Altercation With Park Rangers

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 02:00 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
So often the crime doesn't fit the treatment. The story from most places has been about a discrepancy over the season pass.

If so, I think there should be more clear how to identify the rider. Perhaps give them a sticker for their frame, helmet, saddle bag. Same for a day pass.

If skipping the fee is such a huge problem, maybe there should be a sign up that says "you'll be removed by force and arrested". Don't make it some willy nilly tiny sign and a drop box over in the shadows of the parking lot. Make it obvious and unavoidable on entry. If your system sucks that bad, that's on them.
Old 01-06-20, 02:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Hard to imagine that happening here (Fort Worth, around Benbrook Lake). There's a $2 day fee if you don't have the annual pass. But the park managers are pretty chill about the whole thing. Sometimes they'll wave us through or not even take my money when I offer. At least one of the older fellows at the gate is a fan and keeps up with the local pro and amateur teams. I guess he sees them often enough.

Unfortunately, wherever you go, it takes only one misguided person with a uniform and disproportionate sense of authoritah to make things go sideways. I'd bet most of us have had at least one encounter with the stereotypical overzealous mall cop and his equivalent. Or the irate motorist who dislikes cyclists and tries to play cop. I usually stay as calm as possible, get out my phone and offer to dial 911 to let the real police sort things out. That usually puts a damper on the wannabe's assertions of authoritah.

Old 01-06-20, 02:49 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Hard to imagine that happening here (Fort Worth, around Benbrook Lake). There's a $2 day fee if you don't have the annual pass. But the park managers are pretty chill about the whole thing. Sometimes they'll wave us through or not even take my money when I offer. At least one of the older fellows at the gate is a fan and keeps up with the local pro and amateur teams. I guess he sees them often enough.

Unfortunately, wherever you go, it takes only one misguided person with a uniform and disproportionate sense of authoritah to make things go sideways. I'd bet most of us have had at least one encounter with the stereotypical overzealous mall cop and his equivalent. Or the irate motorist who dislikes cyclists and tries to play cop. I usually stay as calm as possible, get out my phone and offer to dial 911 to let the real police sort things out. That usually puts a damper on the wannabe's assertions of authoritah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rHuinnfVJo
and what role did riders actions have in this?

or does that no matter at all?

obviously we don’t have the video of the entire event (or what happen prior to video)
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-06-20, 03:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There were several witnesses who said the park rangers grabbed the rider's handlebar and knocked him off the bike. When he understandably reacted with shock and anger they escalated the situation. He then complied with them but the biggest ranger broke his arm. That is on video.

When one's only job and source of income is menial, every perceived threat is easily escalated out of proportion.

Or, to butcher a familiar aphorism, when your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a thumb.
Old 01-06-20, 04:40 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Who were the witnesses?

Was the rider rolling into the park without the pass and did not stop for the officer?

lots of questions and also 2 sides to the story (not just one)