Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which bike do you consider "The Holy Grail"?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Which bike do you consider "The Holy Grail"?

Old 12-27-09, 09:57 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by joe englert
does that happen to be jock boyers???? any pics?
This is what I have photowise

Truth be told, I would "settle" for a 753 Lejeune.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 12-27-09 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 08:06 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
Mid/late 70s Masi Grand Crit in orange. I think we all know which one........
Yep, and now I have a certain piece of music stuck in my head again. Thanks! hehe. Also my grail, if you're gonna dream, dream big.,,,,BD

Good thing it's in Itunes

Last edited by Bikedued; 12-27-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 08:20 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
This is what I have...

Truth be told, I would "settle" for a 753 Lejeune.
You have JB's bike! I would almost kill for that frame!
Old 12-27-09, 08:30 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Yep, and now I have a certain piece of music stuck in my head again. Thanks!
Always did like Mendelssohn

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 12-27-09, 08:40 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Not to ride but just to have...Hi-E Cosmopolitan. I'd love to own and ride an A.D. Stump as well. Maybe a NOS NukeProof Reactor MTB or a full Mavic Vitus in Red. A Malvern Star track bike?
Uhm...How 'bout a Somec for a steel racing steed. Preferably the one listed in the gallery at The Vintage Bike Life...The list goes on...But I would sell every bike I own and give 3 months wages for the Hi-E!

Check out my bike blog!
Old 12-27-09, 09:09 PM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
To all of you citing your want of an A/D Vent Noir as your holy grail: What you're really wanting is a 1982 Ultima SL. This frame is a more refined (and better filed) , top of the line, 531SL build, in full smoked chrome that was A/D's only 'best' frame offered in the smoked nickel chrome (just the '82). Sold as 'frame only' and came in it's own velvet lined flight case. Very rare. Very holy grailish.
Old 12-27-09, 09:22 PM
freako
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no "holy grail" of bicycles once your into mid-level and beyond, it's whatever works good for you. I like my 72 Schwinn Paramount; I like my 79 Cinelli SuperCorsa, I liked this bike so much a bought the modern version of in 05; but I also like my 63 Peugeot px10 even though it came with Simplex components I really don't care much for but stuck in the mindset of keeping it as original as possible; but I also like my 99 Cervelo P3 (aluminum not CF frame like their newer versions) but that one is a bit rigid for older bones like mine but it's fast (can't imagine how much faster it would be with 50 year younger legs then mine!); and I like my 04 Rivendell because it's just extremely comfortable and the components have been bulletproof.

Those bikes I bought all brand new; the Paramount I'm debating about sending it to Waterford for a restore; and the Peugeot needs a repaint but decals may be impossible to find so I may just leave it alone; the older Cinelli needs repainting to because the paint faded badly which I learned later that Italian paint was crappy for durability.

So my favorite bikes would be the Cinelli (both years) and the Rivendell because these are just really comfortable bikes to be on, but that's just me and I haven't had every single bike ever made to judge others by.
Old 12-27-09, 10:01 PM
OrangeOkie

Bikes: Canondale LL Bean, Criterium; both MY Schwinn Volare's, Voyageur 11.8; Holdsworth; Bob Jackson; Raleigh Super Course Mk II and Super Course Racing USA; Trek 1500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1963 Schwinn Sting Ray. All of the rich kids had one. It was the year of the Beatles!

Last edited by OrangeOkie; 07-18-14 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 10:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7334 Post(s)
Liked 2,431 Times in 1,420 Posts
I don't really know, but I'm sure I'd like a Frejus. My eye doctor's husband has one that he hasn't ridden in decades. I told him I will help him fix it up, and he says he's not convinced it's worth it. This is a clue he might be willing to let it go. Even if he doesn't give it to me, I'll enjoy helping him fix it up. He told me to wait a few months so he can clean up his basement.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-27-09, 10:36 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
You have JB's bike! I would almost kill for that frame!
Uh, no....edited the original post to clarify

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-27-09, 10:43 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by kpug505
. I'd love to own and ride an A.D. Stump as well. !
I have ridden Art's bike, decades ago, his personal bike, handled like a Raleigh International, which is not bad, his bike was just not that aggressive other than its weight and finish. It was darn light for a leather saddled steel framed bike though...
Old 12-27-09, 10:45 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't really know, but I'm sure I'd like a Frejus. My eye doctor's husband has one that he hasn't ridden in decades. I told him I will help him fix it up, and he says he's not convinced it's worth it. This is a clue he might be willing to let it go. Even if he doesn't give it to me, I'll enjoy helping him fix it up. He told me to wait a few months so he can clean up his basement.
There is a nice red one on ebay right now, with a buy it now price even...58cm? too big for me.
Old 12-27-09, 11:10 PM
colonelclink4
1994 PreTrek Lemond Gan

Bikes: 1994 PreTrek Lemond Gan Team Frame with Full SRAM Rival, IRO MARK V Fixed and Brakeless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bioflamingo
My holy grail is whatever bike I happen to be commuting on. I usually just use any cheap cromo mountain bike/touring frame I can find. My last one was a wrecked Centurion that I bought for the brakes and crank. Decided that it wasn't going to last long anyway so wrecked didn't matter. Wrecked it beyond reconcile when a huge pothole covered by snow snuck up on me. So as soon as the wind dies down my new grail will be a miyata six ten. I thought about making it into a light touring bike, but decided to sacrifice it to the streets instead. But make no mistake, I'll appreciate every ounce of service I get out of it and it really is my Holy Grail of the moment.
Much respect to this post. I would never want to commute on a bike I wasn't completely in love with. Currently a 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert Dave Scott. My first road bike w/ downtube shifters. Clearly a n00b, but loving it so hard.
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
For me it would have to be one of several TEAM bikes from the 1980's. Maybe an orange & white Panasonic Shimano team bike from the 1981 ish Americam race scene. Maybe a blue Gitane team bike like the bike Greg Lemond won his first world championship race with in 83. A silver Hinault 531 bike from 1985. All are pretty much unobtainable. I would love to own any bike ridden by Lemond, Hinault, Kelly, Roche, Fignon etc.
Definitely agree with you on a 80's team bikes. I would want an 88 Crest Team Cannondale. They make me laugh.
Old 12-27-09, 11:12 PM
dudeona3V

Bikes: '69 Raleigh DL-1, '72 Paramount, '75 Eisentraut, '80 A-D Vent Noir II, '82 A-D Inter 10, '83 Motobecane Grand Touring, '83 Stumpjumper, '84 Masi GC, '87 Recherche, '87 Tesch 101, '88 Tesch S-22, '88 Davidson...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyg1
To all of you citing your want of an A/D Vent Noir as your holy grail: What you're really wanting is a 1982 Ultima SL. This frame is a more refined (and better filed) , top of the line, 531SL build, in full smoked chrome that was A/D's only 'best' frame offered in the smoked nickel chrome (just the '82). Sold as 'frame only' and came in it's own velvet lined flight case. Very rare. Very holy grailish.
As someone who owns two VNIIs and an Ultima SL, yes, the Ultima SL is cool for the über-rare factor (i believe less than 50 total imported - I've heard as few as 14 and as many as 49). The VNII, however, is a much more relaxed ride. I think it all comes down to how one defines their Grail. Having worked in an A-D shop in the early 80s, both were Holy Grails for a long time. But as we've said earlier, the Grail does have a way of becoming a moving target. Along the same lines, I really really want a later Ultima Gold (Puch branded) in the collection, but I'd stop short of calling it Holy Grail.
Old 12-27-09, 11:23 PM
TL179

Bikes: 91 bridgestone rb-2, Univega viva sport, 04 masi Nouva Strada,Dave Scott Ironman, Changes like every month

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a few

1. centurion trac ( soft spot)
2. 70's marinoni pista, a couple of my friends have them, blue and yellow 1974. dear lord
3. that yellow and black px-10 from the 80's. I saw one locked up IN FRONT OF A BAR. thanks dad

I built my holy grail. A free pinarello veneto with serotta fork and 9 speed campy. Underwhelming. I also believe that any bike with da track hubs on it becomes a dream bike.
Old 12-27-09, 11:53 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Being that my best biking days were in the 70's, I'd love to have a Cecil Behringer outfitted with Pino Marroni parts. Great stuff put out by these two men in that decade. First time I saw a white pearl paint job was on a Behringer, beautiful.
Old 12-28-09, 12:03 AM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm pretty content with my C/V bikes: a Trek 400, Peugeot PGN10, and Raleigh Sports 3spd. I'm originally and at heart a mountain biker, so the two ultimate scores for me would be a Chehalis-built Klein Attitude with the famous fade paint job and lots of Ringle bits, and a 1994 Specialized S-Works FSR with the carbon Future Shock.
Old 12-28-09, 02:21 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rene Herse Randonneuse - frameset #301 - circa 1948

This long famous bike illustration has become a great source of inspiration for me.

Sixty years ago it was published in Daniel Rebour's first book. It was then represented as the epitome of a state-of-the-art modern fast touring bike - as of 1949. It was a major influence on most all French production bikes subsequently built in a similar style and naturally trickled down to prices which anyone could afford. The actual frameset used for the illustration, and raced in the 1948 Paris-Brest-Paris competition, still exists today. In the 1980s it was purchased from the widow of the owner for whom the bike was originally custom built, and it was finally sold at auction on eBay in early 2005. It now lives in Japan.

Although I dislike the thought of purchasing any custom built bike which had been fitted for someone else... THIS one happens to be in a size which would fit me perfectly. And, it's in a style which I would choose above all others if I were to order a made to order hand built bike today. Yes, I would both restore and ride this bike.

You can read all the details, view larger images of the original illustration, and see the last known photos of this bike here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/strongl...7618749510933/

Last edited by stronglight; 12-28-09 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-28-09, 04:46 AM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Being that my best biking days were in the 70's, I'd love to have a Cecil Behringer outfitted with Pino Marroni parts. Great stuff put out by these two men in that decade. First time I saw a white pearl paint job was on a Behringer, beautiful.
Oh ya! I sooo want the infamous lugged Ti track bike they collaborated on! I have only ever found a set of Pino skewers but I'm almost content with that score...

Check out my bike blog!
Old 12-28-09, 06:22 AM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
My 1st holy grails were the Miyata Elevation 12,000 and the Yeti ARC AS LT. Own(ed) both and trough the years I discovered suspension and space age materials don't do it for me. Taste shifted towards proper steel MTBs like Wicked FAT, Grove Aggressor, Brodie and WTB Phoenix.

Nowadays I am more involved in road riding and the road scene. Something high end Japanese or Dutch makes me happy, like a Panasonic PR-6000 or a Legrand made Presto. A Masi is very appreciated as well, but it would be a bit a oddity in my collection.
Old 12-28-09, 09:05 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I am content, I have 2 of my personal Holy Grail bikes.
Of course I'm talking about my Zieleman, and my Pogliaghi Pista.

I'm thinking an early Carlsbad Masi GC, and an Italian Masi (pre 1973) would round out
my collection quite nicely.

Citoyen, what 2 bikes are you waiting on???

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 12-28-09, 10:09 AM
joe englert

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
my 76 orange masi was my holy grail but since i own one, now i am seeking another holy grail. i guess one is always looking, that is what keeps life fun. by the way, it was an 80s masi used in breaking away although the earlier ones are better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1295.jpg (99.3 KB, 196 views)
Old 12-28-09, 12:19 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by joe englert
my 76 orange masi was my holy grail but since i own one, now i am seeking another holy grail. i guess one is always looking, that is what keeps life fun. by the way, it was an 80s masi used in breaking away although the earlier ones are better
You're looking for one of the 2 Masi's actually used in the movie?
Here's what Bob Hovey has to say about them (and current location):
The Masi that was ridden the most during filming (and was therefore the most
beat up) was given to Steve Tesich, the writer. He kept it for a while then
loaned/gave it to a friend of his who was a racer and was hard up for a bike
at the time. He had it for a few months and got creamed by a lady who ran a
stopsign. The owner took it to a framebuilder who replaced the top tube and
down tube and repainted it. I've got photos of this bike which I hope to
have posted soon.
Unfortunately, the resotration was not very well done.
Apparently the lower head lug also had to be replaced and instead of
copying the old one, the builder reproduced the cutout that is on the upper head lug,
which as most Masi owners are aware, was a much different size and shape. The
paint was pretty sad as well, thick as a candy apple with orange peel and
incorrect decals. As far as I know, the frame is sitting unbuilt on top
of a filing cabinet in the owner's office. I don't think he's too happy about the
restoration work and he will probably have it redone at some point, at
least I hope so.
The current owner (and friend of the late Tesich) says that he was told (by
Tesich) that the movie's star Dennis Christopher wanted one of the bikes and
was given the backup bike (this would be the one the one in the infamous
"small chainring" closeup... notice it has also has a different freewheel and
chainstay decals than the bike in the longshots). It is supposedly still
in his posession.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 12-28-09, 01:49 PM
Citoyen du Monde

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
Citoyen, what 2 bikes are you waiting on???
There are a number of bikes that I have been biding my time about. One was purchased last month after a multi-year wait. Another one that I have been following for over a decade looks like it will finally come true in 2010...

Until I got my own Passoni a while back, it too was on my list. This one on ebay that ends in an hour isn't even that far fetched as far a s price goes. It is missing the all-in-one titanium handlebars and stem and the rims are atrocious...

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320418525465

Last edited by Citoyen du Monde; 12-28-09 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 06:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7334 Post(s)
Liked 2,431 Times in 1,420 Posts
Today, I got me my English three-speed today, which I've wanted for 30 years. No, I haven't been looking continuously for all that long. My search recently resumed. My treasure is a Hercules in bright red, with chrome chainguard and fenders. Pictures to follow in the "saved from the dump" thread.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.