Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

R & A Cycles of BROOKLYN NY...are they that bad??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-05, 02:09 PM
StalkerZERO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been hearing some people have not been happy with the service they have received at R & A Cycles of Brooklyn, New York.
Can someone give me some opinions as to whether they are a good shop or not?
o_O
Old 08-24-05, 02:17 PM
stepon
SuperStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought my bike through them.......I had some young kid wait on me.....cocky as ****....not helpful......he spent more time on his cell phone talking to his friends than trying to help me.

The price was too good to not buy the bike, but if I could have taken my business elsewhere I would have.......and looking back at it, I should have.

if you spend 2k on a bike...(and that's entry level at R&A) I expect quality service.

on a better note.......their bike fitters rock.....very cool and very precise making sure your ride fits your body.
Old 08-24-05, 02:21 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there are a few hate threads about R&A. Search is your friend.
Old 08-24-05, 02:24 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya but is the bike fitters worth it if your getting say a specialized which only has a few sizes?
I dunno.

Roy's Sheapsheads cycles of brooklyn is good but I don't like the shop owners attitude towards others concerning his "pro showroom". He has a back showroom where he keeps the real expensive bikes like a silly museum. And he doesn't like most of his customers to even go and look in there and OMG ....actually touch them!!
I think that would turn customers off.

Do you think R & A is better than Roy's?
Old 08-24-05, 02:58 PM
brooklyn

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
R&A has huge selection for road bikes. Do your research before you go and try not to listen to the sales people. I was there 2 weeks ago and this sales person sounded like a used car salesman trying to sell a car. He went on saying that he rides every single bike in the showroom and he knows what you should buy...don't go by magazine reviews or what other say because he knows whats good and whats bad. The guy didn't look like a rider but some young kid.

Roys is horrible. The owner is what kills the store. The back room is where he keeps all of the high end rides, but as soon as you walk in there he follows you in and watches you like your going to steal something. Everything is on the wall or hanging from the ceiling. When you ask him a question he kinda talks down to you like you don't know sh it.
Old 08-24-05, 03:09 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
R&A is a weird place. i've had all kinds of levels of service, from very good to pretty poor. it's not a place to go for low end stuff, not their speciality. i suspect their internet sales are increasing, as everytime i walk by they are packaging stuff for delievery.
Old 08-24-05, 03:23 PM
wangster
MADE IN TAIWAN

Bikes: Tarmac, Humble, Makino, Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the kid at RA is a ******bag, he gets annoyed when you ask to see something and it takes him ages to help you out. I've had good service there too, I can't remember their names but it's the older guys, not the ones behind the counter but the ones fitting you and putting part on for you. High end is definately their thing, but sometimes you can get mid range parts at a decent price. Good place for checking out nice bikes that'll cost a pretty penny.
Old 08-24-05, 03:34 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See thing is I want to make a high end purchase. But for $2500.00 and up I want the buying experience itself to be the best possible. I don't want to just tolerate the shop and sellers just so I can get the bike. I don't want it to be a stressful experience. In fact, I want the buying process itself to be pleasurable and memorable. I need to test ride different bikes, I need to be fitted properly, I want a nice atmosphere, I want a large selection. I want to be surrounded by informed bike geeks waitin on me hand and foot!

R&A I guess is out. And Roy's sheapshead is kinda funny. He will treat you good on the low end stuff but he won't even let you look into the back room with the good stuff without a nasty attitude.

So I guess neither place will do.

What about Sid's in manhattan? Can i get that type of buying experience there? o_O
Old 08-24-05, 04:55 PM
ericd74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R&A has the best selection of high-end I've seen just about anywhere, but I could not have been more disappointed with my experience there. I went in earlier this summer looking to buy a high end bike (price range of $5k). I did my research, went into R&A, and basically told them that I was motivated to buy...yet still they hardly gave me the time of day. The one guy who did spend anytime with me appeared to be totally hepped up on some sort of upper drug (literally, not an exaggeration) and the younger guy, who I am told is the sales guy, was totally unresponsive. Now, I don't need a LBS to serve me mimosas and give me back rubs, but when I go in to make a serious purchase, I'd like a little bit of personal attention from a non-coked-out employee.

In the end, I journeyed up to Boston (my hometown) to Ata Cycles in Cambridge and received fantastic service and pricing from Hassan, the owner. All in, I dropped around $5.5k on a new Wilier / Dura Ace rig and couldn't be happier, both with my ride and with the fact that I patronized a shop that seemed genuinely interested in earning my business by providing me with an exceptionally high level of service.

R&A has it backwards - almost like we should be honored to set foot in their shop. I won't be going back.
Old 08-24-05, 05:30 PM
mixtery

Bikes: Specialized Allez Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gone to R&A and they have an impressive collection of high end machines. If you plan to spend big $$$ I'm sure the service/knowledge will be up to par. However, I went to Mr. C's cycles in Sunset Park 47th and 7th AVE and found them to be incredibly caring and helpful. They have mostly Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and Bianchi so I would highly recommend them for stuff under the $2500 mark. In fact, I bought a specialized there and whenever I need I just drive in for a tuneup. I think it's 2 years free there! The price he gave me was the same as the best I found on the internet so I was thrilled to get the fitting and extended service as well as other good prices on putting the whole kit together!

Mr. C's has zero ego and will take care of you for life! But if you are a Colnago or Italian bike fiend then you'd probably want to get treated as such at R&A..... IMO
Old 08-24-05, 06:24 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ditto on mr. c's, it's a mom and pop store, mrs. c's kinda cute in her own way, they're both very friendly. Like, in a friendly kind of way, not like pat at bay ridge bikes, who's friendly in a "want to come down stairs to my gingerbread basement filled with campy record and dura-ace parts?" kind of way. Mr. C's also has a great selection of cannondales in their little cannondale corner in the back and they have accessories from god knows where. Some of their bikes might be a bit old (i don't suppose they sell many $4000 bikes in my ghetto neighborhood, i live 3 blocks away) but they'll always order for you if you want.
I'd go to gotham bikes too, those guys let me hang around and warm my toes after I rode an hour in near 0 degree weather w/o my booties, I can eat there, they let me ride around on their bikes, give me free **** sometimes, let me sleep on the floor and they'll turn their back when I molest the customers.
Old 08-24-05, 06:51 PM
AroW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr. C offers free tune-ups?
Old 08-24-05, 07:19 PM
strider

Bikes: Olmo Millenium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're a Big Apple New Yorker or an online buyer for high end racing/road bikes and dissatisfied with R&A check with Ed Cangialosi in White Plains, NY. His web site https://www.repartocorse.com has his product lines, address and phone numbers. Ed helped me with my bike fitting, selection and components via email and on the telephone. I'm in VA, bought my Olmo Millenium from him and couldn't be happier with Ed's service, the bike/product and the price.
Old 08-24-05, 08:04 PM
wannaride
Toughen the pluck up!

Bikes: 1990 KHS Sled; 2004 Specialized Sirrus Pro; 2005 Cannondale Saeco Replica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in R & A on Saturday since I was in NYC for the weekend. Their inventory is incredible. They let me wander around when I just wanted to look drool and pick up bikes. When I needed some help with arm warmers they helped right away. When it came to look at frames a guy named Albert helped me. He brought down several frames and let me hold them. (the new Pinarello f4:13 has a Made in Italy tag but it is not a light frame). Al is a big Colagno fan and was a bit condenscending when it came to almost any other bike but he was happy to discuss the pros and cons of almost any bike. This on a Saturday afternoon no less. If he hadn't confused me so much I might have been riding back to South Central instead of taking the N. I wouldn't have a problem ordering from them based on my limited experience.

What was sad was this memorial which is set up a couple of blocks east of the shop for a biker named Liz Padilla who was killed on June 9 by a truck:
Old 08-24-05, 08:30 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last time I went there, R&A had a great selection of merchandise, and great prices on clearance merchandise. Unfortunately both of my experiences of making purchases there were frustrating and disappointing enough that I've vowed not to shop there ever again. (Detailed in another R&A thread.)
Old 08-24-05, 08:41 PM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have nothing but praise for them. They were incredibly helpful, knowledgeable, and tried to help me build up the best bike possible. I dealt with Al - he was great. When there was a problem, they rectified the situation promptly, properly, and fairly. Give them a shot - walk in, get a vibe, and make your own decisions. If nothing else, you'll get to take advantage of their expertise.
Old 08-24-05, 09:11 PM
Panic
Rocking the roads of Bama

Bikes: Trek 1200, Masi Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Went there in April. Walked in, no one said hello, no one greeted our group of four. We looked at the great selection, I asked some guy about the Cervelo, he mumbled something none of us understood and then went away.

20 minutes later an older guy comes up and says in a gruff manner "You need anyting?" and before I could ask about the Cervelo he walked away. So in my attempt to buy this bike in 2006, I will be going to Boston or seeing if my LBS can get it for me.
Old 08-24-05, 10:35 PM
brooklyn

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was at mr c's this past weekend. Specialized tarmac pro under $3000(with dura ace crankset) tarmac comp for around $2000. speak to Carlos, real nice guy. If you want a trek i would check out verzano bicycles and speak to thomas. He has high end treks and specialized. He is a busy guy but willing to talk to you and give you a deal.
Old 08-25-05, 02:49 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so what is up with this Pat lady over at bay ridge is it? Where is that shop exactly? Anyway, why is everyone creeped out by her friendliness? :|
Old 08-25-05, 07:43 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StalkerZERO
Ok so what is up with this Pat lady over at bay ridge is it? Where is that shop exactly? Anyway, why is everyone creeped out by her friendliness? :|
She's kinda pushy when it comes to buying it, like she'll tell you exactly how you should have it or she won't offer that many opinions (at least with me). So one day I go over there, leave my $300 specialized hard rock there, no ID, nothing, and she's like, take this $1500 road bike around the block, in the middle of new york city.
Old 08-25-05, 09:00 PM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only had good experiences at R&A and I'm not buying high end stuff either. Usually either Albert or Felix have helped me out. I usually try to go to Recycle a bicycle because the staff there is very down to earth and friendly, but you can't beat the selection at R&A.
Old 08-26-05, 08:54 AM
brooklyner
Urban Biker

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe (2005), Cannondale Bad Boy (2001)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R&A sucks. fun to browse, but their service sucks ass. i had to beg to test ride a $2k bike around the block. i ended up buying from canal street bikes, who were pretty cool. bay ridge bicycle world is pretty good - they have a better selection than is immediately apparent. the woman there may seem a little pushy, but she might cut you a good deal. sid's bikes on 34th street is also nice. for service, bicycle station on vandebilt ave in brooklyn is fantastic.
Old 08-26-05, 01:31 PM
StalkerZERO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyner
R&A sucks. fun to browse, but their service sucks ass. i had to beg to test ride a $2k bike around the block. i ended up buying from canal street bikes, who were pretty cool. bay ridge bicycle world is pretty good - they have a better selection than is immediately apparent. the woman there may seem a little pushy, but she might cut you a good deal. sid's bikes on 34th street is also nice. for service, bicycle station on vandebilt ave in brooklyn is fantastic.

If you bought from canal street bikes then they must be something special. What kind of place is it and do you think its worth it for me to go there? o_O
Old 08-26-05, 03:14 PM
brooklyner
Urban Biker

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe (2005), Cannondale Bad Boy (2001)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StalkerZERO
If you bought from canal street bikes then they must be something special. What kind of place is it and do you think its worth it for me to go there? o_O
not that special, they just happened to have a special bike in stock - the sarthe. i didnt choose the shop i wanted to buy from - i researched every bike out there and chose the bike i wanted - then just went to where i could get it. the guys there are very laid back and generally helpful. however, when i took the bike back to get a wheel trued right they didnt do such a great job and left greese on the bike.
Old 08-26-05, 05:26 PM
syda
One tall SoB

Bikes: 2005 Giant TCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R&A sucks. I met a kid named [edited out] who works there, he even told me to buy the bike I wanted elsewhere. If you want a real good shop -go out to Bay Ridge Bicycles on 3rd ave and 90th st or so. My friend who I graduated HS with - his family owns the shop - so I get great deals for myself and of course anyone I send in. So if you want, just ask for Anthony or Patrice and let them know the really tall guy Amar sent you - and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

**no this isn't spam. lol. realized that sounds like an advertisement.

I just found it a pain to find a bike that fit my size and my buddy who owns the shop really went out of his way to get me a perfect fit as well as cut all my friends great deals -- if you say you know me you definitely won't pay anywhere near MSRP.

Last edited by syda; 08-26-05 at 10:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.