Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Back Surgery and Riding- Forumite Needs Experiences

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-05, 01:01 PM
strider

Bikes: Olmo Millenium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Diamondever, a forumite from Portugal, has had recent back surgery. She is still riding her bike but has post ride discomfort which causes her to lie down for an extended period to recover from the ride. She posted to the "Introductions" forum (see A rider from Portugal thread) looking for others who may have had back surgery and wanted to know about their post operative bike riding experiences. She has some fluency in English and would be interested in reading anyone's story or advice. I have exchanged PMs with her because I am somewhat fluent in Portuguese and told her I would post her situation to other forums. Thanks in advance for any replies that could help her.
Old 09-05-05, 07:06 AM
RowSen

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strider
Diamondever, a forumite from Portugal, has had recent back surgery. She is still riding her bike but has post ride discomfort which causes her to lie down for an extended period to recover from the ride. She posted to the "Introductions" forum (see A rider from Portugal thread) looking for others who may have had back surgery and wanted to know about their post operative bike riding experiences. She has some fluency in English and would be interested in reading anyone's story or advice. I have exchanged PMs with her because I am somewhat fluent in Portuguese and told her I would post her situation to other forums. Thanks in advance for any replies that could help her.
Haven't had surgery, but I had a car accident in which I broke two vertebrae (T2 and T3) which is a world of back problems, believe me. I found it very useful to stretch and strengthen the back using basic forward and back bends and spinal twists which are widely used in yoga, pilates, physiotherapy recovery plans etc...
The thing is to start out slowly and try to discover what your safe limits are in exercising the back without hurting it.
To start with I would recommend:
1. cat stretch for warming up and stretching the back forward and backwards:

2. universal spinal twist for gently twisting the spine:

3. lie on the ground face up and pull your knee into your chest while keeping the other leg extended and straight and your back broad and flat on the ground. repeat with other leg. this takes a lot of pressure and tension off the lower back and will feel really good.
It's best if you can find someone caring and knowledgeable to guide you in the proper technique and show you some more, but these are simple stretches that anyone can safely perform. I would perform them every day (10 x cat stretch slowly and 30 seconds universal spinal twist to each side x 2 and the other one 3x to each side for 30 seconds alternating) and before and after riding if you've got the discipline to do that.
The point is that you need to regularly get the spine moving to keep stiffness out. The reality is that once you have messed up your back, it takes regular maintenance to keep it healthy. You cannot simply pay a surgeon or anyone else to sort it out, you must manage it yourself and monitor it and work on it for the rest of your life. At different times of your life, it will take more or less energy but you must always be aware and in control.
Resistance weight training is also good (if you're careful!). Any activity that safely promotes a supple and strong spine and supporting muscles will really help you if you proceed carefully and gradually and for long enough to experience the rewards.
Don't hurt your back any more! If you're having to lie down after riding, you need to consider if what you are doing is contributing to or hindering your spinal health. Cardio strength and riding prowess can wait, I think it would be better to only ride for shorter periods and wait for your back to strengthen...it will happen, but not if you keep injuring it. There is light at the end of the tunnel; my back is really strong and healthy now and I perform a lot of strong yoga poses and ride for hours without any problems at all.
Good luck.
Old 09-05-05, 07:09 AM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My advice is to seek the help of a physical therapist who can actually diagnose the problem and provide an exercise program specifically for her. By the way, she made her own post on this board. Her English was as good as 99 percent of the native English speakers who are posting here. I wonder why it disappeared.
Old 09-05-05, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It didn't disappear. She only posted in the introductions forum.

Koffee

Old 09-05-05, 08:43 PM
strider

Bikes: Olmo Millenium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the event she did not see your posts, I sent her a pm and advised her to check this forum. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-05, 03:30 AM
diamondever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
My advice is to seek the help of a physical therapist who can actually diagnose the problem and provide an exercise program specifically for her. By the way, she made her own post on this board. Her English was as good as 99 percent of the native English speakers who are posting here. I wonder why it disappeared.

Hi blackberry
Nice nick by the way.
Thanks for the kind words about my english, but i bet 99% is too much.
I thank you for the advice, and the truth is i felt so good after surgey, after being in bed for 2 months without a single movment on my leg, guess did it all wrong.
Forgot the physical therapy because i felt so good.
Just now, after starting riding i find it impossible.
Hugzzz
Diamondever