Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Touring with Sleep Apnea

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 01:02 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Touring with Sleep Apnea

Hey guys. I know some of you asked about how to tour with sleep anea and how I took the cpap with me.

Here is the review and write up.

Just know that it IS possible to tour with a small cpap machine and it worked wonders.
Old 06-18-13, 05:25 PM
professorbob

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have the same issue. I just got an oral device designed for sleep apnea. It doesn't work as well for me as the CPAP, but it's much better than nothing. I was expecting that result when I went in on it, and so for the few days (maybe a week at a time) when I camp, it will suffice. However, your battery operated device looks pretty interesting. When my insurance allows, I might look into it.
Old 06-18-13, 06:33 PM
Tandem427

Bikes: Rans F5 Pro 700c, Lightfoot Bigfoot fat-tire, Greenspeed GTO trike, Rans Screamer tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent, thanks for posting! I'll have to check it out.

It's been 20 years since I last went touring, before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. But at least when I snored it scared off the bears and other critters.
Old 06-18-13, 07:40 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It looks like you use a full face mask. ResMed just came out with a new, lighter full face mask, the Quattro Air. I bought it about a week ago. It is a substantial improvement over other full face masks and the light weight is a bonus. https://www.resmed.com/us/products/qu...ml?nc=patients
Old 06-19-13, 05:39 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldfinch
It looks like you use a full face mask. ResMed just came out with a new, lighter full face mask, the Quattro Air. I bought it about a week ago. It is a substantial improvement over other full face masks and the light weight is a bonus. https://www.resmed.com/us/products/qu...ml?nc=patients
Gold: Thanks for the tip. Can you weight it for me in ounces or grams? Just curious if it is worth being able to purchase or not. Its almost time for a new mask anyway.
Old 06-19-13, 05:55 AM
slowride454

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - Soma Double Cross Disc - Pivot Mach 429SL - Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy - Specialized Carve SL - Trek Farley 7 - GT Dyno VFR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how well does that light weight mask seal? I had the nose piece one for a while but I could snore with it, so I've been using a full face. I can not get the thing to stay sealed over night. it can make my eyes really dry if it leaks on the bridge of my nose. I took my CPAP for an over nighter. Mine can detach the humidifier, it is fairly compact without it.
Old 06-19-13, 06:22 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The lightweight mask has mixed reviews, like all masks. It might pay to go to your medical supplier to try it there under pressure. What I like, for me:

---they improved the design around the nose so I don't get pain/irritation at the top of my nose due to pressure there. This is major for me.
---the light weight
---I have no problems with seal and no more leaks than any other full face mask. The surface of the seal area is somewhat different than the usual silicone, it has a texture to it. This is supposed to help with the the seal.

What some people seem to have mixed feelings about or dislike is that there are no clips to attach the headgear and that it takes a bit of fussing to get the tension of the headgear correct. I do not have a problem with no clips. I figured out how tight I need the straps over a couple of nights of use, then the straps stay where they are, and I can loop them on the mask with no fussing at all. I actually like the system better than clips, which I find to be an unnecessary complication.

Chef, I'll weigh it and the headgear when I get off the road.
Old 06-19-13, 12:13 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowride454
how well does that light weight mask seal? I had the nose piece one for a while but I could snore with it, so I've been using a full face. I can not get the thing to stay sealed over night. it can make my eyes really dry if it leaks on the bridge of my nose. I took my CPAP for an over nighter. Mine can detach the humidifier, it is fairly compact without it.
It might be a bad seal so it might be worth going to a local shop to chat with them about it. I find shops that actually carry products more helpful then the place that issued and did my sleep study but that was only my experience.

It could also be the type of strap you are using for the full face mask.

There are some wonderful CPAP forums out there that I have leveraged before which were helpful. That might be a nice route to go down if you need to explore some more ideas.
Old 06-19-13, 12:14 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tandem427
Excellent, thanks for posting! I'll have to check it out.

It's been 20 years since I last went touring, before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. But at least when I snored it scared off the bears and other critters.
lol. I hope you find the information helpful. That was my biggest barrier to go tour and do over night hikes.
Old 06-19-13, 12:52 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have sleep apnea too. I use the quattro air mask. Works perfect for me.