Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding with prescription glasses

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding with prescription glasses

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 09:11 AM
tajar66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I hate wearing my glasses during sports. I use contacts, another benefit is you can use any sunglasses out there
Old 06-04-17, 06:53 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never heard of wearing them outside helmet straps. Learned something new today. Always worn them inside the straps, and for the last few years I've worn a skullcap too. Annoying in the rain... and these days I'm starting to wonder if I'm burning out cells by not wearing prescription sunglasses (been too cheap to buy another set--been meaning to buy some from Zenni). Never has a problem with them sliding around though--once adjusted they seem good to go for a few years.
Old 06-04-17, 08:15 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That "thrown clear" rationale for wearing glasses outside the helmet straps makes as much sense as not wearing a safety belt in a car, so you can be "thrown clear".

IOW, no sense at all. Certainly not with safety glasses.

I'd rather have those in front of my eyes rather than "thrown clear".
The issue is not the lenses breaking and doing damage, but rather, the edges of the lenses cutting your cheeks and forehead. I've seen it happen, still, my eyes are more important than my cheeks.
Old 06-05-17, 01:18 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I usually wear my sunglasses outside the helmet straps, regular glasses, when it's cloudy or at night, inside the straps.
My sunglasses usually fall off when I take my helmet off because I can't seem to remember they have to come off before the helmet. Just a slave to fashion.
Old 06-05-17, 06:31 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by tajar66
I hate wearing my glasses during sports. I use contacts, another benefit is you can use any sunglasses out there

Can't believe it took over two pages of posts before someone mentioned contacts!

I always where contacts when I am physically active outdoors. Glasses are a PITA. Aside from slipping you have fogging and in the event of rain, rain on the glasses.

If I am out riding or sailing or whatever and it starts to rain, I still get rain on the sunglasses but I take them off and I am good to go. I could not do that with my glasses because I would be blind.
Old 06-06-17, 07:38 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Contacts are not always an option. I tried them for running and cycling, but my vision was still blurry, tried different kinds but ultimately was advised against them. So, back to glasses.

I had prescription sunglasses until a few months ago, when a car hit me my glasses broke so I got a cheap pair of cycling glasses with an optical insert (if the frame bites the dust I can simply change it). They have a rubber nose band so they don't slip.
Old 06-06-17, 08:12 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Lanyard. I can't believe this question is even being asked.

https://croakies.com/product-categor...ort-retainers/
Old 06-06-17, 10:03 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
I usually wear my sunglasses outside the helmet straps, ....
My sunglasses usually fall off when I take my helmet off because I can't seem to remember they have to come off before the helmet. Just a slave to fashion.
I noticed that too. That's why I advocate wearing them inside the straps as you do with prescription glasses.

And just to be sure I wasn't biased, on one of my rides, I wore them both outside the helmet straps. Yes, at the end, I almost forgot about them being outside the straps until they were falling off my face as I undid my helmet. Then I ended up juggling two pairs and the helmet trying not to drop anything.
Old 06-06-17, 10:08 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried contacts once but in the end it was $110 to determine that I don't like touching my eyes. Ick. Last eye doc appointment I was told I have the start of a cataract in one eye. Maybe I'll wait another 10-15 years and when that gets removed I'll have my vision corrected.
Old 06-06-17, 10:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
57 years with glasses. Currently Progressive Transition lenses with helmet straps outside of arms. 2011 bike crash resulted in fractured C6 and right clavicle and compression with slippage of C5-C6-C7, helmet remained on and glasses flew off and broke.

I was at mile 11 of a half marathon and managed to trip. Nothing holding glasses on and managed a left side face plant forcing broken arm mount almost through earlobe.

When flying, on boat or coaster rides I have a split strap with Velcro allowing easy on/off. Will not use Croakies since I can't stand the strap hanging down on back.

Glass lenses have prevented many bugs from hitting eyes.
Old 06-06-17, 10:34 AM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supton
I tried contacts once but in the end it was $110 to determine that I don't like touching my eyes. Ick. Last eye doc appointment I was told I have the start of a cataract in one eye. Maybe I'll wait another 10-15 years and when that gets removed I'll have my vision corrected.
People who can wear contacts, don't seem to understand that other people with vision problems can't wear them for one reason or another.
Old 06-07-17, 02:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
My guess is that you don't wear prescription glasses, that you don't need them to see. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if those who don't wear prescription glasses can understand the level of anxiety those who need them to see live with on a daily basis. Every time they come off my head they get smudged or twisted, or set down and forgotten, or fall on the floor, or shoved in a pocket...

It is far less stressful to just keep them on my face where they belong and allow the helmet to go on and off without messing with something which I am blind without.

-Tim-
Yes, I would hate to have my glasses fly off to who knows where in an accident, and then not be able to find them. That would be worse than the near-impossibility of cutting my face with my plastic lenses.

I was once working out in the yard piling up brush from a tree we had to cut down. A stick whipped by my face and knocked my glasses off. I was afraid to walk around trying to find them because I was sure I would step on them. And being nearsighted I didn't have much luck seeing them laying on the ground. I actually waited until my wife got home to help me look for them. Thinking about my glasses flying off my face in a bike crash and being lost forever doesn't appeal to me, especially since even if I were uninjured I'd have a hard time making it back home.
Old 06-07-17, 02:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
My wife wraps rubber bands around the ends of the temples (is that what they're called) to make her glasses grip her head behind her ear.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-07-17, 02:54 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Lanyard. I can't believe this question is even being asked.

https://croakies.com/product-categor...ort-retainers/
Yes, that's just what I was going to suggest. Back in high school for playing basketball I had an adjustable elastic glasses headband that kept my glasses right on my face where they needed to be.
Old 06-07-17, 02:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Garilia
People who can wear contacts, don't seem to understand that other people with vision problems can't wear them for one reason or another.
A few years back, my optometrist asked if I had ever considered contacts-- I said that I had, years before, but my eyelids are really tight and I have tremendous difficulty getting them in. He said, "Nonsense, I'll put them in for you." So he put in a trial pair, then turned to me and said, "You know, you have very tight eyelids." No kidding.

I also work in dirty/dusty environments, and have astigmatism in both eyes which requires weighted lenses, so I'm sticking with glasses. Also not a candidate for Lasik, as I (apparently) have far better-than-average night vision, and Lasik just completely wrecks that-- daylight becomes VERY bright, and nighttime becomes VERY dark.
Old 06-07-17, 03:19 PM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have the same issues, but contacts don't work for me either. People with bifocals and trifocals have a hard time with many contacts. And it's not like contacts don't fall out.
Old 06-25-17, 09:19 PM
Nevermore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yes, I would hate to have my glasses fly off to who knows where in an accident, and then not be able to find them. That would be worse than the near-impossibility of cutting my face with my plastic lenses.

I was once working out in the yard piling up brush from a tree we had to cut down. A stick whipped by my face and knocked my glasses off. I was afraid to walk around trying to find them because I was sure I would step on them. And being nearsighted I didn't have much luck seeing them laying on the ground. I actually waited until my wife got home to help me look for them. Thinking about my glasses flying off my face in a bike crash and being lost forever doesn't appeal to me, especially since even if I were uninjured I'd have a hard time making it back home.
Losing your glasses in a wreck and not being able to see to find them is horrible. I had this happen a few months ago (car wreck, not bike, flipped 3 times and airbag to the face). After having that wreck I don't worry about my glasses being broken doing sports, I figure if I can have an airbag deploy and not have my glasses do too much damage to my face then falling won't do much damage except for maybe some scratches. The airbag caused the nose pieces and the arms of my glasses to go "flat" (as in the arms almost straight out to the sides) and broke my nose (which probably would have happened anyways from the bag), my black eye and lacerated eyelid were a result of me punching myself in the face when the airbag deployed.

For the OP - if your glasses don't have the rubber nose pieces have them changed. Most come with a clear slightly hard nose pieces that are rather slick, I always get them changed to a softer kind of rubbery nose piece that doesn't slip as easily.