Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cross me off It hasn't happened to me list

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 03:15 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

I just started riding again for the first time in about 40 years last year. I got a hybrid bike,a basic computer, helmet and away I went. About 2 weeks ago I mentioned to a co-worker who rides that while at lunch I was going to pick up a computer with a cadence app. He then asked the question "do you have a tire repair kit". I said no. (I never had a flat in over 2000 miles) . After looking at the surprised look on his face I went out and bought one. Going out early this morning toward Long Beach NY and then on my way to Breezy Point the rear tire went flat about 20 miles from home. I have not changed a flat on a bike in over 45-50 years while I was making reasonable progress with my 10 thumbs I really appreciated the couple of cyclists who stopped and offered some pointers. I liked the fact that they did not jump in to help because to get proficient in anything you have to do it yourself.30 minutes to change the the tire and 15 minutes to get all the grease off me! I know I am slow as Mollasses. I will have to add surgical gloves to my kit.I am bringing bagels into work to thank the co-worker who made a most sensible suggestion

Last edited by StanSeven; 07-23-17 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Removed profanity and edited with replacement wording
Old 07-23-17, 03:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Some clincher tire & rim combinations are a witch to pry apart on the road. That's another reason for my going tubular on most bikes.

Rubber gloves in my small saddle bag? = YES. And a small rag.
Old 07-23-17, 03:50 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I wouldn't take bagels to work to reward the 'sensible suggestion', the bugga pointed you out to the puncture fairy!

Funny how things happen isn't it, though usually it's the other way around, it's the day you DON'T take your repair kit that you get caught. I'm personally of the 'carry a spare tube' way of thinking because it's just quicker and easier to put in a new tube, if I want to mess around doing repairs I'd rather do it at home, on the road is for riding. But I also carry a repair kit because you can get more than one puncture.
Old 07-23-17, 05:34 PM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
lol Yea he did probably set me up for the puncture fairy, but he is trying to lose weight so bagels with butter or cream cheese will make us even.
Old 07-23-17, 06:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My first flat a couple of years ago, when I'd resumed cycling after a 30-year hiatus, reminded me to be better prepared.

I had a floor pump, but had to budget carefully and couldn't afford a portable pump until the next month. I considered carrying my floor pump but decided it wouldn't look cool. Oh, it wouldn't add to the weight -- my bike already weighed 35 lbs. It would just look dorky strapped to the back rack.

On my first "long" ride -- a whopping 3 miles from home -- I got my first flat. Goathead burr, natch. Typical autumn road hazard, just after a long hot dry summer crisps the burrs to tack sharpness and hardness.

Fortunately a fellow in that rural neighborhood was heading my way and gave me and my bike a ride home in his pickup. I still ride by and wave or stop to chat with him occasionally.

For the next year I carried a full tool kit and enough junk to build a new bike from scratch. This year I've finally pared it down to the essentials. But I'm always tempted by those larger capacity saddle bags and the lure of total independence. I never take a long ride without considering whether I can haul the bike and myself back on foot.

Even when I fell back in February and busted up some ribs and could barely breathe I declined a friend's offer to drive me the 10 miles back home. I wanted to tough it out just to see if I could ride without breathing. Made it, just barely. Next time, I'll accept the ride.
Old 07-23-17, 07:39 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Good job!
Old 07-23-17, 07:48 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
If you'd been riding over the last 40 years you probably would have seen folks pulled over fixing flats... the worst is on a busy road where it is so loud you cannot hear the hissing (you've got to hold the tire up to your lips and fell the air on your face). You're skilled when you can fix 4 punctures with a single patch (need Swiss Army knife scissors for that)... sometimes it's easier to just carry a spare tube.
Old 07-24-17, 05:48 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I narrowly averted a flat yesterday. I was running a mis-delivered magazine to a neighbor a half-mile away when I nearly ran over a 1 1/2" upholstery nail standing up in the shoulder. I've always said shoulders were flat zones! Anyway I went back and picked it up, along with another nail a few feet away. Bikes ride on this route all the time.
Old 07-24-17, 08:24 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Some clincher tire & rim combinations are a witch to pry apart on the road. That's another reason for my going tubular on most bikes.

In my 28 cycling seasons on clinchers, the only time I've had trouble getting either wire bead or Kevlar beaded tires on a rim, is right out of the box.
Old 07-24-17, 08:32 AM
SamRod

Bikes: 1999 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my tool kit contains : 3 pry bars, 1 spare tube, 4 surgical gloves. and I have used them all many times. In fact just this week I had my chain break. so out came the surgical gloves. picked up the failed chain at least My hands aren't greasy black! but yea many flats under my belt. its gonna happen.
Forgot to add. 1 C02 cartridge.

Last edited by SamRod; 07-24-17 at 12:39 PM. Reason: add to carry list!
Old 07-24-17, 10:25 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by justtrying
I am bringing bagels into work to thank the co-worker who made a most sensible suggestion [/I]
(You are giving me wistful thoughts about NY bagels...back when I lived in NY and still consumed gluten. Lord, I miss a good bagel)

Fixing flats gets easier with practice and you'll likely improve your gear. I went from a lousy hand pump to CO2 cartridges to a very great hand pump (Topeak minimorph). I learned to carry tire levers. I don't worry about flats any more.
Old 07-24-17, 10:57 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I carry 2 tubes, a patch kit, a boot kit, and a light spare tire. When I flat, I put on the spare with one of the spare tubes. Very quick, no need to find the leak on the road. Takes 5-10 minutes total depending on proficiency and pump. I carry a Topeak Road Morph G pump on a bracket which fastens on beneath a bottle cage so the pump is beside the cage. Unfortunately, the sillies at Topeak don't include this bracket, so we have to order it off the parts section of their website.
Old 07-24-17, 12:41 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
In my 28 cycling seasons on clinchers, the only time I've had trouble getting either wire bead or Kevlar beaded tires on a rim, is right out of the box.
I should send you my vintage G.Fisher with Araya rims next time it flats. Unless you (like me) have purchased an 8" steel tire lever.

edit: In 30+ years of riding, it is the only rim where I have had to cut off a tire, before a mechanic introduced me to the mother-of-all-tire-levers.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-24-17 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 01:38 PM
dazevedo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also carry 6 or so packets of these in my bag.
https://www.amazon.com/Purell-9022-1.../dp/B01N07VKTJ
Have handed out more then used but they take up little room and clean of chain gunk better then a rag.
Also a sandwich bag to throw the used ones in after use.
Old 07-24-17, 01:59 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Tis far better to have a kit, and not have a flat, than to have a flat, and not have a kit...

My emergency bag has two tubes and a patch kit. I usually just change tubes, and leave patching for when I get back home. Allen keys, multitool, pressure gauge, and spoke wrench round out my kit. I've needed the spoke wrench twice now, for broke spokes (I've now pointed that fairy at you!), to get me back home without brake pad rubbing.