Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New Hybrid Recommendation/Opinions

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 10:06 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got an offer of $450 for my 2018 Diamondback 29ner MTB, although I love the look of MTB, I really want to be able to ride on roads as well as going about 10 miles up and down small hills without having to get tired, this is why I'm looking at hybrids, since I am not comfortable with the handlebars of road bikes. My budget is less that $600, so far I'm looking at the Giant Escape 2 Disc 2020 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-2-disc-2020 ) which is $580 or Diamondback Haanjo (https://www.diamondback.com/haanjo-1-d41 ) which is $600 however that $600 includes assembly.
Old 08-13-19, 05:40 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Both are nice looking bikes. If you can, ride both before plunking down your $$$.

I also like the looks of MTBs and seriously considered one for booting around the city, paved paths, etc. In the end I decided a rigid Hybrid fit my bill best and ended up with a Norco Indie3 I found in a Pawn shop for cheap and like new.

Let us know what you end up with......
Old 08-14-19, 05:55 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I haven't looked at the specs, but I'd tend to prefer a Giant over a Diamondback ( having recent issues with Diamondback customer service, and specifically a Hanjo, in fact). And, if nothing else, Giant has a better reputation than Diamondback, meaning it probably will have better trade/resale potential, which is something I always factor in when buying toys.
All that said, you might consider just putting some road-friendly tires on your 29er mtn bike. Some 1.75" semi-slicks will really nimble-up the ride on the pavement, while retaining the mtn bike look, and being able to handle some off-roading, pretty much giving you the best of both worlds.
Old 08-14-19, 07:23 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
I haven't looked at the specs, but I'd tend to prefer a Giant over a Diamondback ( having recent issues with Diamondback customer service, and specifically a Hanjo, in fact). And, if nothing else, Giant has a better reputation than Diamondback, meaning it probably will have better trade/resale potential, which is something I always factor in when buying toys.
All that said, you might consider just putting some road-friendly tires on your 29er mtn bike. Some 1.75" semi-slicks will really nimble-up the ride on the pavement, while retaining the mtn bike look, and being able to handle some off-roading, pretty much giving you the best of both worlds.
If the op's bike is something like the current Diamondback Overdrive 29 series, this ^^^ is excellent advice.

OP's bike likely has a 29er version of old-school NORBA mtb geometry -- pretty much like a current front-suspension hybrid. Put some decent semi-slick or even full-on wide road tires on there, and the result is an extremely useful/versatile bike at very little expense. Continue riding it while figuring out what kind of bike might best suit in the longer-term.
Old 08-30-19, 09:06 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Do you have a Fuji dealer near you? I only ask as I'm the type (as many I know are) that would not buy a bike without riding it first. The Fuji Absolute 1.7 is a nicely spec'd bike-list is $700, a little over budget, the next lower priced one-the 1.9 lists at $520. We do have a dealer that carries them and when I was considering a hybrid, went and test rode the 1.9. I would probably go for the 1.7 for the specs, but was impressed with the 1.9, especially for the price.

Last edited by freeranger; 08-30-19 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 09:36 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I just bought a Jamis Coda Sport, it was $540.00 so far I really like it.
Old 08-30-19, 03:58 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I just bought a Jamis Coda Sport, it was $540.00 so far I really like it.
Nice bike! I almost pulled the trigger on a CodaComp (with the carbon fork). Love the ride of the Reynolds 520 double-butted chromoly frame

Op.....if you haven't bought a bike you owe it to yourself to test ride a Coda.......
Likes For Speedway2: