Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cadence problem with cateye CC-CD300DW- please help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 03:27 PM
cyclemania

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My cadence is not working. THe unit is 6 months old and the cadence started going in and out about 2 months ago and for the past 5 weeks it gets no reading at all. I have reset the entire unit, checked all sensors, bought new batteries, etc. and still no cadence reading. All other reading work just fine. Any ideas????

I would hate to tear if off my bike to send to the company...what a hassle for such an expensive computer!

Mel
Old 07-27-05, 03:32 PM
MsMittens
Virtulized geek

Bikes: Modified Davinci (single speed) and custom Gunnar Rock Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up on my Cateye CD300DW after getting into the same issue with Cadence and speed/distance. Best I can figure it, something to do with humidity and/or other wireless devices (particularly in urban areas).

Call them first (don't try email since they rarely seem to respond) and see if they have any suggestions.
Old 07-27-05, 04:25 PM
samp02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sent my back to performance after 2 months of innacurate rading,reseting and everything else.
Old 07-27-05, 09:12 PM
strider

Bikes: Olmo Millenium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh!!! I just bought one and installed it today. Hope I don't run into the same difficulties down the road. I'll have to save my invoice/return slip from Performance just in case I have to return it.
Old 07-27-05, 10:40 PM
OB1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Four things I've would consider. Sounds, however, like you have already tried at least three of these.
1. Position of magnet to the sensor is very important. Make sure the gap is as small as possible.
2. The sensor may need to be reset so the computer can identify it. There is a small button on the sensor which causes the sensor to send a unique identifier signal to the computer. Put your computer next to the sensor and press this button until the computer recognizes the sensor. If your speed is reading ok, I would rule out this as a possibility.
3. The battery in the sensor may be weak. Maybe you got a bum replacement. Likewise, if your speed is reading ok, I would rule out this as a possibilty.
4. Try is stonger cadence magnet or orient the cadence pickup opposite from where it is currently position (eg up versus down)
Old 07-27-05, 10:58 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or you could get a wired cadence computer and not worry about it.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 07-27-05, 11:18 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After two wireless units (Mavic Wintech and a Flight Deck), neither of which worked all the time I gave up and bought a Cateye Astrale 8. I would rather have wires all over my nice bike than have a computer that only worked when it felt like working. The Cateye works great by the way!
Old 07-27-05, 11:24 PM
jplavnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up a Cateye Astrale 8 today after getting rid of my wireless that wasn't working properly. Excited to set it up...except for the wires.
Old 07-27-05, 11:51 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jplavnick
Just picked up a Cateye Astrale 8 today after getting rid of my wireless that wasn't working properly. Excited to set it up...except for the wires.
Yeah the wires do suck but my bike's black so it's not so bad. Great computer, you should love it.
Old 07-28-05, 01:12 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After three months, my CD300DW is still great. Head (main) batteries needed replacement, but that is to be expected with a new unit.

The only problem I ever had was a loss of sync. Doing the reset process fixed that.

Now, just in case ... I would try using a pedal magnet if you are not. This allows a much closer positioning re the sensor. Take the cadence magnet out of the plastic case, and mount it in the hole in the pedal axle. Should hold by itself, but you can use a drop of glue if you want to. Then make sure the sensor - the target line on the sensor - is directly opposite the magnet position.