Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giro Pneumo Helmet

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giro Pneumo Helmet

Old 08-14-05, 11:15 AM
Nashville Man

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro Pneumo Helmet

I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my 6 year old mountain bike helmet that I've been riding with. I like the ventilation it has, plus it seems to have a good fit. I originally bought a Bell Sweep first, but I could not get it adjusted to where it felt right on my head. So I'm returning that one and considering the Pneumo.

Is there anyone that currently uses the Pneumo that would care to comment on it? Any issues with the loc system in the back over the long term?
Old 08-14-05, 11:47 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Monza and a Pneumo. I prefer and love my Pneumo!!! It is a great helmet with great ventilation. Even though the stated numbers show my Monza to be lighter than my Pneumo, the Pneumo feels lighter. I have not had any problems with the loc system on any of my Giro helmets. The locking system is my preference of all of the helmets that I have tried on.
Old 08-14-05, 12:11 PM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hi,

I just bought one last week and love it. Much better ventilation then my old GT or Specialized (both high end helmets in thier day). The Pneumo fits great, I also like the Monza, but the colors of the Pneumo look awesome. Performance has some killer deals on last year models right now $90 - 20% off, $0.99 shipping, and another 10% in team points.

John

P.S. I went ahead and bought the '05 in red for the color...

Last edited by R900; 08-14-05 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-14-05, 12:14 PM
si2k2000

Bikes: Giant OCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got one love it, light enough for me, with plenty of ventilation. Go for it.
Old 08-14-05, 01:05 PM
Joedigity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Pneumo and it fits great. I like the look of it compared to other helmets because it seems to sit lower on my head than the others which seem to sit like 5' off the top of you head. Nice looking helmet and well worth the $120 or whatever they are going for now a days.
Cheers
Old 08-14-05, 01:15 PM
tribe3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny how heads come in all shapes. I tried the Pneumo and couldn't get it to feel right; On the other hand the Bell sweep fitted like a glove
Old 08-14-05, 01:31 PM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Big fan. Great ventilation. Very light. No problem with the locking mechanism and I have riden about 8K miles since I got mine in November.
Old 08-14-05, 01:43 PM
4SEVEN3

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love mine! I have a tendancy to overheat quickly, and it keeps tons of air moving across your head! The fit is right for me, and the build quality is excellent! Excellent choice!
Old 08-14-05, 01:46 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also a big fan. Very light, great fit, great ventilation (I rarely even notice I'm wearing it), and great colors (it matches my bike perfectly). On the other hand, it does give me kind of a mushroom-head look.

- Warren
Old 08-14-05, 02:23 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I first tried a Bell and it didn't fit right. My Pnuemo is great. And for some reason the sweat drips off the front of the helmet, away from my glasses, forehead, etc.

Of course, because of the title of this thread and your request, your probably only going to get Pneumo owners who love it. I.e., not too many people are going to admit spending over $100 on a helmet and hating it.
Old 08-14-05, 02:35 PM
Nashville Man

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. Order has been placed. 105 at Performance.com, less the 20% discount. Seems like a pretty good price.
Old 08-14-05, 04:32 PM
samp02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best helmet I have ever worn...enjoy.
Old 08-14-05, 05:26 PM
shnapper
Speed Junky

Bikes: The nice ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only problem I've had is the padding separating, but I called bell/giro and they sent more of the funky shaped pieces.

It separates in a way similar as if you were peeling the backing paper off a sticker. The cloth separates from the foam. I rinse my helmets off after every ride, gently with plain water. I actually fixed the padding by hand stitching the whole perimeter of each piece and I still have the replacement pieces they sent as spares.

Other than that it's the best helmet I've worn and would buy it again. My wife and I both have the red/white and blue and the pod cases they came in that we never use..........

Old 08-15-05, 12:30 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out if I should remove the blue "funky shaped pieces" from time to time and wash them with the rest of my cycling clothes. I think I should!

- Warren
Old 08-15-05, 12:52 PM
dahvaio

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heard good reviews... so I just purchased one from Peformance the 2005 in Carbon color and it came to $92.66 after 20% and $0.99 shipping... awesome deal...
Old 08-15-05, 12:59 PM
kunsei83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I originally got Rudy Project Ayron helmet, and that didn't fit me right. So I returned that and got Bell Sweep, but that didn't quite fit my head either so I returned that. Then, I tried the Pneumo and the Atmos. Atmos felt a little better for me b/c it seemed to be little wider.
Old 09-16-05, 04:17 AM
Savas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An LBS showed me the Pneumo and I balked at the price until I put it on. It felt just right, like it was custom made for my dome. I found a black one on the internet for a hundred. These are very high-margin products / the LBS wanted 140.00
Old 09-16-05, 05:44 AM
lrzipris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chroot
I'm still trying to figure out if I should remove the blue "funky shaped pieces" from time to time and wash them with the rest of my cycling clothes.
I do. Never a problem. But hold down the pieces (velcro?) that are glued to the helmet when removing the blue pads, so you don't inadvertently peel them both off. I think that, over time, sweat dissolves whatever is used to adhere the velcro to the helmet, so be careful not to disturb that seal or adhesion.
Old 09-19-05, 03:38 PM
free_pizza
later

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shnapper
. My wife and I both have the red/white and blue and the pod cases they came in that we never use..........

Want to sell me your pod?
Old 09-19-05, 03:49 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one for two years, then crashed on my head and cracked it from ear to ear. Great helmet while I had it. Replaced it with a Catlike which fit better and had a true eurotrash look to it.
Old 09-20-05, 09:50 PM
strider

Bikes: Olmo Millenium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great helmet. Tried several but liked the fit of the Pneumo best of all.

The bad: those funky pieces of cushioning foam that kept falling off the helmet. Problem solved by using some good Scotch double sided foam tape used to hang things on walls. The noise from air flow/ventilation seems to mask sounds essential to riding situation awareness. Then again I could just be hard of hearing!!

That leads me to the good: Ventilation - excellent airflow keeps perspiration under control and aids in its evaporation; light and thus comfortable on long rides and easy on the neck muscles; fit - hardly know I'm wearing a helmet.
Old 09-20-05, 10:02 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I will also jump into the fray and say that mine is about two years old and is a fine helmet. I have been using Giro since the Airblast circa 1990 and they are good helmets. Fortunately, I have never had to really see if they do more than just flow air. If you do crash, I believe that they ask for you to send the helmet to them for evaluation so that they can see how it held up. I also seem to remember that they would offer you are replacement at a discounted price. None the less, if you do crash, always replace that helmet and hang the old one on the wall as a trophy.
Old 09-20-05, 11:46 PM
craign04
Fahren auf den Autobahn

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, 2004 Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pneumo is a nice helmet, i like the atmos a little better though feels like almost nothing is on your head...
Old 09-21-05, 12:04 AM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love mine, but noticed part of the "framework" inside was popping out of it's little holding hole, I'd keep popping it back in, but it would come out, making the strap looser and making me wonder if the lid would stay on if I used it as well as it should. So, mine had zip-ties on each side holding that part, some American practicality mixed with its great French style :-)
Old 09-21-05, 12:07 AM
F1_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Pneumo... it's about due for replacement (due to UV exposure) and I'll be replacing it with the same. Unfortunately, it's the USPS colour scheme which isn't made anymore. I just liked the colours and not the fact it was USPS.

My friend recently crashed (at a good speed) and whacked his Pneumo hard. The helmet has at least 7 major cracks and isn't round anymore but it all held together and did it's job. It'll be replaced with the same thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.