Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi from another Virginian

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 07:50 PM
k_in_va

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been lurking here for a while and I finally decided to register. I see that there are a lot of other Virginians here!

My name is Kerry and I live in the western part of Northern Virginia (past Loudoun, for all you NoVas). I got into biking about 7 years ago when I lived in Reston very close to the W&OD trail and I rode a lot on the weekends on my fairly inexpensive but fun Bianchi hybrid bike. I put away my bike when I got pregnant. After my daughter was born in 2002 I bought a nice road bike on sale (Giant OCR1) and a bike trailer so I could exercise with her, and they both sat unused in my garage gathering dust until this summer. Tired of being tired and out of shape and not having any physical activity, I decided that I wanted to ride again so I've been slowly building my strength and doing 2 or so rides a week. I am loving it!

I am not too far from the end of the W&OD so I've been riding there some when I pull my daughter in the trailer. If I am riding alone, I usually explore some of the local bike routes that are all on secondary roads around here. I'm still somewhat of a nervous rider when it comes to roads but they are fairly low traffic and scenic. The other morning in the middle of a ride, I pulled off the road and looked at the lush green hills, sheep grazing in the grass, mist rising around the top of the far-off mountains, and I couldn't believe what I'd been missing out on - it couldn't BE more beautiful country to cycle in! I see so much more of it from the bike than from a car.

I'm still working on some comfort issues with my bike - I've been to a bike store for a proper fitting and we're still tweaking things (the latest is ordering a new, longer stem to help with my shoulder pain). Overall though a lot of the problems have been solved and I am looking forward to slowly building up my mileage and improving my speed. I also have a lot of weight to lose and I think this is one of the most fun ways to do that. I've also "persuaded" my husband to buy a bike and he's going to be biking with me on the weekends with our daughter.

Thanks so much for being part of this forum - I've learned a lot and I enjoy it!
Old 09-08-05, 09:37 PM
strider

Bikes: Olmo Millenium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Kerry! That's beautiful country out there and many clubs have rides in that area of VA.