Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone use a recumbent exercise bike during winter?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-19-06, 12:03 PM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife has been expressing interest in doing something to get herself in better shape. We tried all kinds of exercise equipment at a few local sports stores and the nicer recumbent bikes seem to be a good fit (at least in the store) I explained to her that she'll need to ride it at least 20 minutes a day, pretty much every day to have it do any good. I kind of liked the better units myself as far as comfort, but does anyone here have any experience with these for longer durations? I can ride my Fluid2 trainer, but thought this might be a nice change of pace or wifey and I could ride side by side to take away some of the boredom...

Thoughts??
Old 09-19-06, 12:24 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
the ones in the gyms (i.e. Lifecycles) are abysmal in my opinion. I've been forced to use them on occassion on business travel. They hit different muscles, and just don't feel right. I've found it almost impossible to get a decent aerobic workout on them , and I can't spin a decent cadence on them. Anyone I've ever seen use one was working at a pretty low level. My take is that if you want to do 20 minutes at 125 watts at 60 rpm while you watch TV, and the alternative is sitting on the coach watching TV, this could be a good exercise option. If you want to train to ride a bike forget it.
Old 09-20-06, 04:24 PM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear ya. My wife has been through breast cancer, chemo, surgery and basically feeling the worst she has felt in her life over the last year or so. She's finally feeling well enough to try some exercise and I'm just not thinking that putting her bike on my trainer is going to cut it. Saddle sores, etc will stop her from doing it for any length of time (I think). I need something she'll actually use and not sure where to turn.

Thanks, Merlin...good info.
Old 09-20-06, 04:30 PM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I 2nd merlin's opinion.

When I was 290 lbs, I used the 'bent stationary alot, because using the treadmill hurt my knees and sitting on the bike hurt as well.
Old 09-20-06, 05:03 PM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
the ones in the gyms (i.e. Lifecycles) are abysmal in my opinion. I've been forced to use them on occassion on business travel. They hit different muscles, and just don't feel right. I've found it almost impossible to get a decent aerobic workout on them , and I can't spin a decent cadence on them. Anyone I've ever seen use one was working at a pretty low level. My take is that if you want to do 20 minutes at 125 watts at 60 rpm while you watch TV, and the alternative is sitting on the coach watching TV, this could be a good exercise option. If you want to train to ride a bike forget it.
It's definitely different. My gym has both the regular exercise bikes and the recumbent exercise bikes. While I hate the 'bents... i try and switch my workout up and the recumbents are good for at least that... as far as not getting a good workout with them, I'd say that it's what you put into it i guess.
Old 09-20-06, 06:02 PM
jhglaw
Lawman

Bikes: Spec. Tarmac Expert SL4

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get cardio exercise four times a week almost every week. I am age 56, aerobically fit with a tiny VO2 max and better than average core strength. I try to ride on the road for 2-3 hours twice a week. I use stationary cardio machines for exactly 60 minutes a session for my other cardio. I have a lot of time on LifeCycle uprights, LifeCycle recumbents, Climax stairclimbers and lots of treadmills. I like walking fast on a treadmill on a 13% slope best. I also like the LifeCycle recumbent, warming up at 70 rpm and increasing to 85 rpm.

As long as you use a pulse monitor, a 70 to 80% max pulse rate and go at least 40 minutes; I think you can get an excellent workout on a LifeCycle recumbent or quality treadmill. I think cyclical trainers and stairclimbers require more core strength than someone on a new exercise program is likely to have. I think upright LifeCycles place too much weight on the butt and hurt just like comfort bicycles do on long rides. I think the reclining LifeCycle is easiest on the core. I can easily ride the recumbent LifeCycle when my lower back hurts.

I think a recumbent LifeCycle is the best cardio machine for someone who wants to get in shape. You can watch TV or listen to an Ipod. I agree that it is different from riding on the road. I like it, in part, because it is different.
Old 09-20-06, 06:21 PM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, JHG...I'm hoping she'll use it as it doesn't seem like an easy thing to return... I plan to use it for in between rides at night just to do "something".
Old 09-22-06, 08:56 AM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...picked up the Schwinn 213 from Sears last night. Based on reviews (over 50 of them) this is *the* best value recumbent under $1000. The bikes I really wanted were $2000+, but I'm not willing to spend that until I see this thing getting serious use... Won a consumer reports best recumbent also. 40 minutes assembling it and I have to say it appears well designed and built. Lots of nice touches like haevy powdercoating, chromed hardware, silicone gasketing to reduce vibrations, etc. Computer has a ton of built-in workouts including recovery tests, BMI (like that works), etc. This thing is as smooth as my buddie's $2300 recumbent (we'll see if it stays that way) Anyway, I did 10 miles on it last night watching TV and it was really comfortable, completely silent and not at all boring (yet). When you change resistance the speed reflects the new "gear" so if I'm pedalling at 85 RPMs and go up a step in resistance, the speed goes up accordingly. Nice feature that I didn't even think about when looking...maybe they all do that..dunno...anyway, seems pretty nice for the $$. Sears offers a 10% off if you use a Sears card, 110% pricematch and another 5% if you don't take their no interest till APril 07 dealio so I got a great price. 90 day return policy also so if it isn't getting used, it goes back.

I'll report back in 89 days
Old 09-22-06, 09:02 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
My wife has been expressing interest in doing something to get herself in better shape. We tried all kinds of exercise equipment at a few local sports stores and the nicer recumbent bikes seem to be a good fit (at least in the store) I explained to her that she'll need to ride it at least 20 minutes a day, pretty much every day to have it do any good. I kind of liked the better units myself as far as comfort, but does anyone here have any experience with these for longer durations? I can ride my Fluid2 trainer, but thought this might be a nice change of pace or wifey and I could ride side by side to take away some of the boredom...

Thoughts??

I ride my MTB on snowy days and take the occasional spill. I wind up on the ground. That's recumbent. Does that count?
Old 09-22-06, 09:32 AM
42x16
Up to no good

Bikes: Steelman EuroCross, Gunnar Streetdog, Independent Fabrications Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mom has one of those at home and professed to like it, until she came for a visit and tried my wifes bike on the Cycleops. Guess what's going up for sale on ebay?
Old 09-22-06, 09:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by gurana
as far as not getting a good workout with them, I'd say that it's what you put into it i guess.
My problem is that at the cadence I can spin on the thing, to get at a decent workout level I'm working at a high resistence using different muscles, and my joints and muscles hurt before I begin to get aerobic. I guess this would be different if you got used to it. IMHO, it's probably an ok piece of fitness equipment, particularly for people that aren't looking to totally torch themselves (and hence may be a good choice for the OP's application) but not much of a training device for bike racers or fast bike riders.
Old 09-22-06, 09:46 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

EXACTLY!!! They suck, you can't get any RPM going without bouncing all over the dang place. Constructed specifically for the general Gym population:

Fat people who don't want to break a sweat or actually exercise, but want to think that they are....
Old 09-22-06, 09:50 AM
rick1

Bikes: 2010 Giant tcr advanced SL - 2016 Giant TCR advanced SL - 2014 Giant XTC 29er - 2019 Giant TCX cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thoughts??
Take a look at the Lemond recumbert.... hands down the most comfortable recumbert made. I believe they only make one model as of now. Everything they did on this recumbent is well thought of in regards to human biomechanics and comfort.
Old 09-22-06, 10:04 AM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
EXACTLY!!! They suck, you can't get any RPM going without bouncing all over the dang place. Constructed specifically for the general Gym population:

Fat people who don't want to break a sweat or actually exercise, but want to think that they are....

At one point last night I was spinning at 105 RPM for about 5 minutes. I wasn't bouncing around, had my heart rate in the 60% zone and felt pretty comfortable. It's not the same as my 5500 and being outside, but c'mon..what is?
Old 09-22-06, 10:22 AM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rick1
Take a look at the Lemond recumbert.... hands down the most comfortable recumbert made. I believe they only make one model as of now. Everything they did on this recumbent is well thought of in regards to human biomechanics and comfort.
Looks beautiful, but at $2400, I need to see if my wife is going to use this thing. I've found that in that price range there are several really good recumbents. I did not see the Lemond before now. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-22-06, 01:15 PM
rick1

Bikes: 2010 Giant tcr advanced SL - 2016 Giant TCR advanced SL - 2014 Giant XTC 29er - 2019 Giant TCX cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks beautiful, but at $2400, I need to see if my wife is going to use this thing. I've found that in that price range there are several really good recumbents. I did not see the Lemond before now. Thanks for the tip!
Yea, lots of these things end up as coat hangers.
Old 09-22-06, 01:18 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a decent experience with one of the Schwinn Recumbent bikes (2 models up from the bottom I think). Here is what it looked like if I remember correctly (sold it to buy a treadmill -- which I use more; then just sold that for Kreitler rollers. Yes, i can't make up my mind!! haha)

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-213-Re.../dp/B000BGI5CI
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 09-22-06, 01:41 PM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcycl
I had a decent experience with one of the Schwinn Recumbent bikes (2 models up from the bottom I think). Here is what it looked like if I remember correctly (sold it to buy a treadmill -- which I use more; then just sold that for Kreitler rollers. Yes, i can't make up my mind!! haha)

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-213-Re.../dp/B000BGI5CI
That's the 213 and the one I just bought. Like I said..probably the most reviewed recumbent out there and seems to be well liked. But...if no one gets on it and rides it..well..my kids think it's cool.
Old 09-22-06, 02:06 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used mine for about 5 months Biggziff -- I think you will really like it as I know I did. And, I had ridden actual recumbent bicycles in the past also. So, I had some idea of the differences to expect from a DF upright compared to a recumbent.

It was quite sturdy, heavy, and well-made. I hope I get as good or better workout from my new Kreitler rollers now that I have those instead of a exercise bike or treadmill!
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 09-22-06, 05:21 PM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like it might be a good option for what your wife needs. I'm currently using one at the gym since I can't ride outside and I'm able to keep a cadence of 85-95 rpm, though most of the other people as I look around are spinning much more slowly. It's definitely not comparable to riding outside, but it might be more comfortable for her. Good luck!

Wheels Rolling
Old 09-24-06, 08:24 AM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Brandy. I too noticed that most people seem to spin in the 50s. My wife was doing the same thing. I gave her a few tips and she go into the high 60s and immediately felt the difference. She did 20 minutes last night and felt pretty good about it so, one small step......
Old 01-25-17, 04:37 AM
Edgar001

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 months before I purchased Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike for my wife which is more comfortable than regular bikes.It really helped to burn her calories and tone legs and glute muscles.Studies show that 20 minutes every day spent on a recumbent bike workout can increase your heart rate and make you more resistant to coronary heart diseases.
Old 01-25-17, 12:06 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

this thread needs more bikinis cervelos and flip flops
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-25-17, 12:24 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jhglaw
I think upright LifeCycles place too much weight on the butt and hurt just like comfort bicycles do on long rides.
I agree to a point, but I've been using the Planet Fitness upright bike this winter for 20 & 30-minute sprint interval sessions...and for that long, I can stand it, and it gets me a good workout. It's different position than my road bike, (it has elbow pads and exended bars that put you in a very high, non-aero Time trial position)....but close enough to work most of the same muscles.

I'll use the recumbent for a recovery day, but the upright for High-intensity intervals.
Old 01-25-17, 12:25 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Edgar001
Studies show that 20 minutes every day spent on a recumbent bike workout can increase your heart rate
I don't believe this. Show me the data!

Just kidding. Kudos on getting your wife into a workout she enjoys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.