Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 06:19 PM
Jeff82

Bikes: Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Giant Roam 2 Disc for me, Cannondale Althea 3 for her.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No. But I'm on several meds.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I feel slower than I was but I'm now starting to feel better by riding.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Biked as a kid. Then nothing until just now.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
So far just 5, 8, and 10 milers. Plan on going up to 20 - 25.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Once a week or so. Don't know mileage yet. Estimate based on last month would be about 400 miles this season.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
54 for me, 52 for the missus.
Old 05-21-18, 10:16 AM
drPhilGandini

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
NEO Ultimate CF road bike
6KU Track fixie

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Yes, Vit D

I have slowed down, mainly to smell the roses.

38 years, with good (thousands of miles) and bad (hundreds of miles) years.

Recently short rides just to get back into it after a bad year last year.

Every day, sometimes twice a day. 20-30 minute rides on my fixie.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
61 years old.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-18, 10:37 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Please tell us your age.

I bought a Raleigh Talus 2.0 after I had my stents put in in 2012.
I picked up a Cannondale Raven V700 last weekend off craigslist.

Glucosamine and a multi-vitamin.. saw palmetto for prostate health.

Between 96 and 2011, quite a bit. Kids were into horses, (Clydesdales), so I was tasked with driving the truck & trailer to shows.. cleaning harnesses, tacking up.. other than that, I sat in a camp chair. After my stent, I was active for about 4 years, but then the kids moved out, and I slowed back down. Until Christmas of last year.. I saw my cardiologist and weight 295lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I went keto, started working out once a week. I'm down 50lbs, and feel fantastic.

After I got my dirtbikes when I was a teenager, I rode pedal for a few years in the mid-1990's.. then nothing much until 2012, when I got back in.

Mainly short rec rides.. 15, 20 miles.
I want to do the Century at Indianapolis next year for Tour deCure.
My daughter and son-in-law have done it a couple of times.

As weather allows. 48 hr workweeks, plus barn chores & repairs come first.
Around 1000 miles a year. Going to be a little low this year, winter hung on until the second week of May.

56. I share a birthday with Bob Dylan, Mayor Jayne Byrne, and Germanicus, the Roman General.
Old 08-11-18, 03:43 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
So the AARP sent me an invite and the DR called to schedule a prostate exam

might as well fill this out:
Cannondale R1000 circa 2008 of CL and a Kona Jake for hauling

BP meds.

I need 7-8 of sleep now. I don't recover as quickly from injuries and I need to focus on staying in shape because getting in shape is starting to be a real drag

As a kid- 30s. not so much from 42 till now

I like windy country roads and MUPS. back up to 20 miles max.

several times a week for 40-60 minutes

50 as of July 30th.
Old 08-12-18, 01:49 AM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like I've been away for awhile (over two years) and I don't find I answered these questions.

Surly Pugsley fat bike
Kona Rove gravel bike
Jamis Renegade gravel bike (kept in US)
Salsa Pistola road bike
Raleigh Team USA Sport Touring road bike (kept in US)

+50 multivitamin, calcium, and krill oil

Overall average speed is down about 2 mph from five years ago, and I find I'm more likely to blow off a day's ride.

I learned to ride a bike when I was about 5, regularly used a bike for for transportation into my 20s, started longer rides in my 30s, rarely rode in my 40s, back to daily bike commuting at 55.

Just about everything except technical mountain biking

I tried to ride every day and have managed at least 250 days (with minimum of at least 6.22 miles/10 km ridden) per year for the past 11 years. Over that time period my annual mileage has ranged from 8,000 to 14,000 miles/year. I'm at just over 6400 miles for 2018 so far).
Old 08-16-18, 10:38 PM
trimmerman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+

I ride many different bikes. Apollo, Kawahara, Raleigh, Schwinn, Triumph, Precision, Custom, and more…

I take a diabetes load and vitamins. Mostly B complex and calcium.

Slowed down? Yes and no. Some ways I am in better shape now than before and some ways I feel A typical for my age.

Biked as a child of course. Not so much between 16 and mid-twenties. Rode then quite a bit. I always had a bike but I didn’t ride much for 20 years. Started back regularly about 4 years ago.

Rarely go on long rides. Mostly about an hour or so. Non-competitive.

I prefer good weather so most of my riding is in the summer. Let’s say one K/year.

Weight lifting, Tennis, Ball Hockey

Last edited by trimmerman; 08-16-18 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Copied someone else's and had to remove it.
Old 08-20-18, 03:49 AM
Misteraz1003

Bikes: 82 Schwinn Superior - 74 Falcon Olympic - 73 Raleigh Competition - 82 Voyager 11.8 - Lemond Zurich - Lemond Sarthe - Lemond Saturn Maillot Jaune - Peugeot PH10LE - Peugeot Bordeaux - Raleigh Competition GS - Schwinn Tempo - Trek Madone - Fuji S12SLTD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Insight on us 50+ Folks

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
We have identified 46 of us who are 50+, including 9 who are 60-64.

I will be 65 soon, so I almost fit the next category. 65-69.

A couple of thoughts on some place (forum, thread, whatever) dedicated to folks 50+

1. Folks who are 50+ and who are considering starting a fitness program are at times quite unsure about themselves, what they can do, what goals might be appropriate, training techniques, etc. When they discover a forum such as BicycleForum in their search for answers, it may be comforting to see that they are not alone - that there are others engaged in similar pursuits.

I see a number of introductory posts like "At 52, I am old, but want to start getting exercise. etc., etc." Some folks think they are way over the hill at 50, likely because they feel that way. A senior place allows them to discover what other folks their age and older are doing in the way of fitness.

2. Some of the younger folks on the forum believe that someone 50+ is "elderly" and pretty much also over the hill. Likely this is the example that they have at home in their own family. I think it is eye=opening to some of them to see that folks 50+ go on centuries, tours, can ride Litespeeds and Airborne and bent's (not just "comfort" bikes) and bike 1000's of miles each year. Some weight lift, run and do other things. It is nice to have a place where they can see the combined "force" of 50+ riders at least in this forum, and may also give the younger folks the impetus to get their own family non-exercising members involved in some fitness activities.

3. Much of the perception of what folks 50+ can and should do fitness-wise, in the fitness world, in the press, in MD's eyes, is generally very light modified exercises - that kind of thing. The things that folks 50+ do as expressed in this forum just blows that concept away.

But anyway, these are my thoughts.
I think you are spot on about how youngsters perceive oldsters. My children are 27yo & 25yo and treat me like I'm ancient. I surprised them a couple years ago when I was asked to participate in an infomercial for an exercise program I was involved in. I lost 30lbs and looked quite ripped. Part of my personal training outside the program involved cycling 20 miles at least 3 times per week. One of my kids couldn't keep up with me at all. I'll be 60 in October.
Old 08-26-18, 05:06 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Please tell us your age.
A gentleman never asks a lady this question.

Judging from the thread, all types! But you probably mean, what am I riding?
A Novara Trionfo from 2007. AL6 frame, carbon fork, Ultegra Gruppo & brakes. 53/39 x 12-27T.
In the past:
* Motobecane Super Mirage
* Peugot XP-10; wheelset hand built by Sheldon Browne before his death. Kicker - I had no idea who the grumpy old man at the bike shop in West Newton was, but apparently that suited him fine. He insisted on building the wheels because I walked in with a '72 Peugot that still looked new in 2005. I'm not a hardcore cyclist, but enjoy knowing I have a teeny bit of history in the garage. Also, they're really nice wheels.

Carefully increased my alcohol intake, over time.

An awful lot. Literally, 3-4 mph. But I had a seizure last year, and also had a nightmare personal situation the previous six years that led to utter dissolution. I gained 35 pounds and lost a lot of fitness. We shall see how far back I can come. I have a goal of returning to rock climbing, ice climbing and mountaineering, which is the outdoor activity closest to my heart.
To be honest, every day I walk without assistance makes me quite grateful.

Started at 4-5 years old. Biked a lot in my teens. Biked more in my 30's/40's, for fitness. Grew up around and in Cambridge, MA, so always around / exposed to bike culture.

I am now a teacher and ride only in the summer. I ride 27-45 miles 4-5 times a week. I feel joy when my body works better vs. not, and I keep close track of stats on Strava, etc. But my only real competition is with lack of wellness. I can't picture racing, and frankly laugh at bike-weenies who don't realize that their highly competitive nature is simply addressing unmet ego needs. Learned that from the climbing world.

I am lucky to be here; a nice day, a good friend and a bicycle feel like tremendous treats to me.

At the moment, my annual mileage is around 1,000 - done over the 10 weeks of the summer. I don't really want to ride year round (I think); but I do want to figure out a Zwift life for myself so I don't get old and feeble (or, rather, I hope to get old and feeble later rather than sooner).

I am always and forever grateful to those who encourage others. I have no idea where I'd be without the kudos on Strava from internet strangers, or the waves from other MUP regulars, or my good friend who rides with me now and again. It would not be a good place. I am here to remind myself I am not alone, and hopefully I could help others realize the same.

Last edited by Danhedonia; 08-26-18 at 05:08 PM. Reason: clarity, definitely not brevity
Old 08-26-18, 07:55 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Misteraz1003
I think you are spot on about how youngsters perceive oldsters. My children are 27yo & 25yo and treat me like I'm ancient. I surprised them a couple years ago when I was asked to participate in an infomercial for an exercise program I was involved in. I lost 30lbs and looked quite ripped. Part of my personal training outside the program involved cycling 20 miles at least 3 times per week. One of my kids couldn't keep up with me at all. I'll be 60 in October.
Echo that. I'm almost 61 and in the best cycling shape of my life. Took some time and discipline, and it will take more to maintain. I've got my sights on the Trans Am Race, if the good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise.
Old 09-03-18, 04:36 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I turn 50 next July. I haven’t noticed any slow downs, just a period of time when I stopped altogether tonhave kids and basically give up on sleep, exercise and good nutrition. Then a restart when I found out that if I didn’t move my body it would have a tendency to lock up temporarily.

I didn’t want it to lock
up permanently so I started riding again. That’s when I discovered that I’d slowed down; I could not recuperate like I used to.

Nowadays i still ride the same bike I got right before having kids. It hasn’t aged well either for the same reason I didn’t: neglect. Time for a new one.

Do i I take supplements? Yes. Mostly omega 3 because I want to stay off statins for as long as I can. I also take multivitamins and a couple tbsp of Apple cider vinegar diluted in water but not consistent enough to report any results. Other than that I try to cut back on sugars and processed foods when I can and drink mainly water or green tea - when I’m not drinking beer. Riding certainly helps, though I need to increase the frequency of my rides.
Old 09-06-18, 07:48 PM
johnspack

Bikes: 2012 Giant Trance, 1979 Dawes Echelon, Late 80s Walmart MTB

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Please tell us your age.
56, turning 57 Sept 28
I love my ancient old 12speed mtb, late 80s, that I am currently restoring

Mostly multivitamins, and some back meds for my badly damaged spine.

I have increased speed. I smoked for 40 years, rode my last bike 30 years ago. I live out of town, so I go for a 10 mile bike ride just to get a jug of milk now.
I find an excuse to go for a ride whenever I can. I'm more active now than I have been since I was 12. Just with a lot more back pain ect....

A couple of months, last time was 30 years ago.

My bike is a grocery getter. I don't have a car, so I will be using this.

Pretty much every day. A trip to town and back is 10 miles. Sometimes I go twice in a day.
Old 09-10-18, 12:53 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Well, I only come here occasionally, but since I was able to remember my password today I figure I can put up my particulars:

Please tell us your age. Male, 58.

I traded my old Dawes crit bike a long time ago, so all I have left is a similar-vintage Specialized Stumpjumper FS. 1993 model, the first with front suspension. I'm riding it with a rigid fork nowadays.

Nope. Just lots of water and calories.

I was off the bike for quite a while, no more than a couple of hundred miles a year. But I now commute 11 miles roundtrip, 4-5 days a week, and feel I'm pretty much back to where I was when I bought the bike in 1993.

Someone asked me this the other day while riding, and I could only say, "It's a long story." I now realize that I should have said, "1974" - in retrospect, I'm pretty sure the first oil crisis spurred me to never want to own a car. Then later, in college, hung out with a guy who raced and was pretty serious, and I've never looked back. So, certainly a good 30 years of serious cycling, since I was in grad school.

The bulk of my riding is now in 20-minute, 5.2 miles commutes to and from work. Occasionally I will go out on weekends for 20-mile fun rides with no commuter bags, or longer commutes for doctor's appointments, etc. Would like to do some bike touring again.

As I mentioned above, I generally commute four to five times a week. My mileage last year was 1500 miles, and I should top 2000 this year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Not really. I don't even really do bicycling primarily for exercise. I just prefer being on a bike if at all possible, and if I'm in good shape it's a lot more fun. But other than yard work, some hiking, etc., don't really do much beyond bicycling.
Old 09-26-18, 10:35 PM
surlyprof

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2011 Rivendell Hillborne for road, some trail riding and errands. This is by far the most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned.
2016 Brompton M6R with touring bag for commuting and errands. Fun little workhorse, in lime green for fun.
2017 Ritchey Timberwolf for fun trail riding. Hadn’t had a mountain bike for a few years and got this recently to celebrate a promotion.

Levoxyl due to thyroid cancer 17 years ago
Statins due to genetics

I used to ride over 100 miles at least one day a week in my twenties. Sometimes I’d do it on a mountain bike so I could ride a 16 miles trail route I liked. Didn’t realize I was riding that far. Discovered it recently on Google Maps. These days I could probably do one or the other but not both and definitely not as fast as I used to.

I’ve been riding for about 50 years with a couple of short layoffs. Like many I was a paperboy all through junior high and high school. Bike was my primary source of transportation in rural/suburban Ohio. Bike was stolen my first year of college and I couldn’t afford another until I graduated. My first purchases were an air mattress and a bike.

I used to race after college. First road in the Boston area and then mountain in LA. Now I ride for exercise, some groups rides, bike/train commute, trail riding, trying bikepacking, errands around town, most transportation to destinations under 5-7 miles away. The bike is pretty integrated into my life so I’ve only put 2500 miles on my truck per year for the past 3-4 years.

I don’t track mileage but doing a rough math guesstimate... about 2500-3000 per year.

I’m 55
Old 10-03-18, 10:05 PM
SpindriftEd

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Trek DS 8.3
Specialized Roubaix Comp

Vitamin D to go along with HBP med and a statin

Not sure how to answer this, I'm older so I think it's only natural to get slower.

Rode a lot as a kid, rode a fair amount after marriage. Smoked too much to ride for about 20 years, quit smoking a few years ago and started riding again.

Group road rides, solo road rides, light trail riding, commutes

Almost everyday but longer rides are 2-3 a week.
Old 10-07-18, 04:47 AM
Allez!

Bikes: Canyon road bike - endura-something?

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. Male, 57. New to bike forums - had a shifter problem and got fantastic, quick help on the mechs page and so have been looking around the site. Grew up in texas, moved to Nice, France in my 40s, been here ever since. Expensive area, will probably move to a cheaper area of france for retirement.

I'm now riding a canyon endura-something-or-other (looked it up - Endurace!) i think. Carbon, nice bike. Starting to think i quite like it. Bought it used, the first owner put dura ace on it. I also have a city bike - 70s vintage - peugeot? Or ???

Doing some natural stuff for winter protection, plus gonna get a flu shot this year (caught a difficult pneumonia one year, that started with the flu). Am taking vitamins lately - hadn't done that for years. Definitely feel more susceptible to illness, and am starting to take stuff - anything - to help. Had a "massive" pulmonary embolism earlier this year and am on anti-coagulants for another couple of months. Could have died i guess, but if you survive these things you're not too bothered.

On the bike, or in general? A bit, not that bad. Was always slow on the bike (and in general, as well ). Had an accident a couple of years ago - resulting neck issues kept me off the bike and i'm just finally get back to it. I'm slower, and progress seems harder than when i first took up cycling (a little over ten years ago), but who knows?

I always liked the idea of using bikes for commuting and stuff. But in reality, living in the US, i rarely did this - traffic would get to me. After moving to france in 2004, i did start commuting by bike - but my commute was only like 15 minutes long. I really started riding in 2006. Back problems had made it impossible for me to do much of anything else. Was living in a "cycling paradise" and decided to give that a go. I'd tried a couple of times before, but between traffic and hills, i hated it - i'd always loved sports, but hated trying to climb a hill on a bike! Then i tried again after my back problems, with more determination, and wound up loving it. Got more and more into it. Eventually bought a fancy expensive bike (2k !, ha ha) and got to doing longer and longer rides. Not so long as some people, but long and mountainous. Had a lot of good years, then had that accident.

So nowadays my commute is 27 kms each way. So i do that some, but not every day. Then i do 3 to 4 hour rides on the weekends, and sometimes after work when the days are long enough. Then longer stuff sometimes - especially in the summer - gran fondos type stuff. Have ridden the etape du tour a few times. Some years i was in a club. We had a little group at work for awhile - small and inconsistent, but was fun. We're maybe trying to see if we can get something back going again.

Trying to get back to at least 3 times a week. Used to be between 3 and 5 times a week. Back before i had a long commute i'd do like 6000 kms a year, then i was up to over 10k a year. (so that's like 4k and 6k miles or so)

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Recently tried running with my gf, but my ankle was giving me problems. And we'd run on this circuit where they had outdoor exercise machines. I liked those - would do all the arm and ab stuff. But we seem to have stopped. Recently i've taken up going for a short swim 2 or 3 times a week during my lunch break. So far i'm liking that. I think i'm going to sign up and keep doing that.
Old 10-08-18, 12:51 PM
RogueJay

Bikes: Colnago ACR

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Over The Hill But Not Over Yet

[QUOTE=DnvrFox;590168]This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

(DnvrFox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

DnvrFox, the OP
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

My main bike is a souped-up Colnago ACR. I also have a Scott aluminum and I was just given (yes, given) an old ItalVega that I'm refurbishing.

Vitamin D3 & B12

I've definitely lost power & strength and feel it when trying to power over climbs over 10%. My speed has improved BUT that's because I joined a race team to try and counteract the loss of fast twitch muscles we loose at this age. In fact, I blog about this journey at: cyclingover50.com

I've been riding seriously for over 33 years.

I dabble in racing, like doing long tours (like TOSRV and may try RAGBRAI soon!) and I'm the USA Cycling Coach for JDRF Middle Tennessee so I ride one of their events yearly.

I think I log about 4,000 miles. I ride all year, even in the winter, and I'm more into strength/speed improvements than I am loading up big big miles.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.[/QU
I turn 60 March 2019
Old 10-11-18, 08:36 AM
mrMike88

Bikes: Spalding Blade Vintage 12-speed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Weighing in after enjoying a lot of posts in this and other threads:

Please tell us your age.
I'm 66
I have a vintage Spalding Blade 12-speed. Bought used and have had it maintained by the LBS. (Using the lingo already!)

Just a few - vitamins and some minerals
None.
Yeah, I biked a whole lot till college. I had two "English" bikes: a Hercules one-speed and then a Triumph 3-speed. Great bikes both.
During and after college I had a 10-speed (Columbia? Huffy?) that got stolen - then I was given a Takara 15-speed that I quit riding.
So for 30 years, no biking whatsoever. Had a crazy idea that I might get back into it; bought a Craigslist bike, started riding it, got dissatisfied as I got back my wind and leg muscles.
Then bought the Blade 12-speed less than a year ago.

Short commuting and rec. rides.

3-5 times a week - 3 - 12 miles each ride. So maybe a few hundred miles at this rate. Steadily increasing.

I've gotten into better shape, lost some 30 pounds, and have reconnected with the freedom that bike riding gave me when I was in my teens.
I doubt that I'll ever do any racing or even group rides, but it's been a kick getting back on a bike.
Old 10-15-18, 12:07 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'm 67 years young now and one of my favourite bicycles is my 1980's vintage Miele with the Shimano Dura Ace AX groupset I bought and put on it a couple of years ago. I love that there is no external cable housing for the shfting. Shifting is quick and precise for me.

Cheers

Old 11-22-18, 06:13 PM
Mark W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I ride 3 bikes:
comotion Carrera tandem with s&s couplers for rides with my wife, including touring
eddy Merckx emx for club rides and century rides
waterford rs22 for brevets

No

Some, I don’t mix it up on club rides much anymore. I still ride with small groups and on a few charity rides each year. I still ride distance rides—I did a 400k last month, but that’s my longest ride in a couple of years.

27 years on a road bike, but I also rode a lot as a kid.

yes to all of them. Touring with my wife, usually including a yearly tour in Europe. Short and middle distance rides by ourselves or with small groups on our tandem. Long rides (brevets) on my single bikes, and I’m planning on a brevet series and Paris Brest Paris next year.

i bike 4 or 5 times a week, and ride between 4,000 and 6,000 miles most years. In the last 25 years I’ve had a low of 3,000 miles and a high of 9,000 miles per year.
Old 12-04-18, 12:45 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Turning 50 in April 2019.

Currently riding a 2006 Look 585 and finding that the geometry is too aggressive for me. Also, have a Pure single speed and a home trainer Peloton.

Yes, multivitamin and a few of other nonprescription support supplements.

Just came back to riding after a 4 year break. So in many ways, I am speeding up.

Been biking since the 1990s

Just health rides of 50 miles or less.

Planning on riding outside at least once a week, more if I can. I do ride the home trainer 3 times a week for cardio.
Old 12-19-18, 12:39 AM
swilly100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I am new here and 51 years old. It's inspiring to read about all the "older" riders here. I've been a mountain biker for roughly 25 years. I slowed down quite a bit in my 40's when my kids were young and didn't get out to ride as much. I've recently gotten back into it and have been doing 15-20 mile trail rides pretty regularly. My goal is to do the "Monarch Crest" trail here in Colorado this summer (a challenging, fairly technical, 36 mile ride at high altitude). I did it back in my late 20's and it just about killed me. I hoping I can do it as 51 year old and feel better than I did in my 20's! Thanks for the inspiration all.

Currently I ride a 2018 Santa Cruz Hightower carbon. Also a '84 Schwinn World Sport for around town.
Old 12-31-18, 05:39 PM
BikingTech

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, my turn...

Originally Posted by Jeff82
Trek CrossRip, before that was a Trek Portland.

Nope, do microbrews count?

Depends on my back. Had a nasty car accident, been hit by a car and a bad parachute landing.

Biked as a kid. I was a competitive runner in high school and college. When I quit I had to find an outlet and dusted off an old bike, almost 25 years of riding.

I'm a commuter now. I tried some racing after college. I reached Cat3.

Every single day I can. Mileage? Hmmm at least 8k.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. I am 53 but look much younger. If I didn't have grey hairs, I think I would be carded for adult drinks.
Old 01-09-19, 02:25 PM
kevincgove

Bikes: 1988 Davidson Impulse-updated with current components; 2018 Canondale Topstone Sora

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very cool 15 year old thread. Enjoyed reading through some of the pages. I'll add my data
54 Year old cyclist. Caught the bug from my dad and high school friends. And it was my primary sport/hobby until the mid 2000's

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I ride a Public 8 speed for commuting. And for fun I ride a 30+ year old Davidson Impulse that I bought new and over the year have updated with modern components.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? no unless ibuprofen counts?

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I don't feel I've slowed down but comparing times on rides I used to do the cyclometer does not lie.

4. How long have you been biking? Pretty much my whole life. Took a brief sabbatical and started training and running ultramarathons in the mid-2000's

5. What type of biking do you do? Combination of a 12 mile daily commute to work and 1 weekend ride of about 30-70 miles.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I average probably 4-5 days per week. Last years mileage was 3075.

Last edited by kevincgove; 01-09-19 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 01-10-19, 09:50 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
64 year old cyclist.

Giant FastRoad Advanced -- carbon fiber flat bar road bike. Shoulder surgery and long-term neck issues from a car accident have forced me into a more upright riding position.

Multivitamin, Flax seed oil capsule, calcium, saw palmetto.

Rode 20-22 mph in my 30s, Did half/metric/full centuries at 18 mph in my 40s, now in my 60s I average 14-15 mph. So yeah, there's been a slow down.

4. How long have you been biking?
All my life, off and on. Didn't do much serious or goal-oriented riding in my 50s, that seems to be a decade of work focus.

5. What type of biking do you do?
Now, solo road rides. Have done group road rides, organized century rides, downhill mountain biking in the West, and cruiser riding on the beach. Currently training for a half-century after a lengthy lapse in doing longer rides.

I ride 4 times a week, averaging about 3500 miles per year. I also throw in a few days of gym work each week, specifically to rehab a surgically repaired shoulder.
Old 01-20-19, 06:14 PM
keith_h

Bikes: Rossin Record, Rossin Columbia, Rossin Sprint, Cannondale Topstone, Orbea Opal. Grace, space and pace.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
56yo cyclist. Started again a few years back after a long break owing to life (injury, work, family etc). It took me some time to realise I was not 28 any more, that I weighted far too much and that I should readjust my expectations accordingly. Joined a bike club and discovered I dislike club bunchies. Did lose a lot of weight and got fit. Crashed and broke my hand and discovered smart trainers, found I really enjoy sufferfest and zwift. Discovered Audax and found I really enjoy that. Got a massive dvt and lost the use of one leg, put on some weight but continued riding very slowly.

Two years later the leg is improving the weight is coming off, things are looking up. Its been a bit of a rollercoaster but any day you can ride is a good day.

Trek SLR 1500 on the trainer. Purpose built so I wasn't swapping a bike on and off the trainer.
Orbea Opal for those times you just need to go fast.
Giant Defy Advance Pro 1 with big brakes and big gearing for those times you just need to go far.
Rossin Record for any time you want an epic ride.

Glucosamine and normal multivitamins irregularly.

Heaps but I'm enjoying the riding so its perfectly OK. I'm not going to commit to flogging myself so I can go a bit faster, I'm satisfied with being fit enough to comfortably get where I want to go and back again in good shape. I refuse to become a financial life support system for physiotherapists. Plus "preparing" for certain goals is good motivation itself. Noting that those of us of a certain age prepare rather than train.

Since I were a wee tacker but had a break for some decades at one point owing to life. Not sure what I was thinking at the time but priorities sorted now.

Long rides/randonneuring. 50km is a short ride and I would do maybe 3 short rides a week and a longer ride on the weekend. Love the hills, prefer coming down to going up although you can't have one without the other. Accordingly, have embraced sensible gearing options without shame. Working back up to 200km rides.

Targeting 6000km in 2019. Its been around 4000km while I had my leg issue. I need to work on my getting out of bed on cold days technique this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.