Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Could you be completely happy with just one bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 01:30 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts

I was thinking about my bike situation earlier today. I have had several very nice classic bikes in the past. Going through the riding rotation, happy with each one but not totally satisfied. After selling, buying and building different bikes, I finally bought a Merckx corsa extra off Robbietunes, built it up with campy 10 speed. After riding it for awhile and not riding any of my other bikes I sold them all except for the Merckx. I honestly have no desire to buy another bike right now. Yeah theres a few on my must have someday list, but more for a collective value. Finally I am completely satisfied with one main bike. Ok I do have a fixed gear for commuting, but thats all I ride it for I have clipless pedals on the merckx. So how about you, could you be satisfied with just one, if so which one. Thanks, Its a slow day today at work.
Old 08-02-14, 01:49 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If I were space constrained, one bike would suffice, at each of 3 homes. It would include a touring bike in Mi, a hybrid in NJ, and a MTB commuter in the ADK.

i have too many now, both personally and flip inventory. Hope to gain back space to park a car indoors!
Old 08-02-14, 01:53 PM
Don Marco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Funny... I bought a Corsa Extra off of Vonruden and now don't care a fig for any of my other bikes and wish they would turn into money by some miracle.

I'll feel differently when the weather turns and pull my old 84 Trek 520 out again but for now am very happy with the Merckx.

I've even stopped shopping CL.
Old 08-02-14, 01:59 PM
sloar 

The Corsa Extra is a magical bike.
Old 08-02-14, 02:02 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I had one bike for years before I got a road bike. I never thought to have two. You can only ride one at a time.
Old 08-02-14, 02:19 PM
Uncle Randy

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour, Fuji Newest 2.0, Fausto Coppi Torino,Bridgestone RB-2, CB-1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The low prices I see on vintage bikes is very tempting. Project bikes are a great way to learn the fundamentals of repair which saves money in the long run. I'm looking for bikes that sold for over $600 during the 1990s. I don't want any more bikes with 27" wheels and suicide levers.
You need at least one back up bike.
Old 08-02-14, 02:43 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
For a single all-rounder, I suppose I would choose a traditional road bike with touring sport touring geometry and generous tire and mudguard clearance. The Capo fits this description nicely, although I would use 700Cx32, rather than 700Cx28, tires, and I would fit it with a period correct Pletscher mousetrap rack. However, it is a bit too nice-looking to lock-and-leave just anywhere or to press into daily driver service. I think four is a good number:

1) mountain bike (my Schwinn -- great for shopping and errands as well as for trails)

2) beater -- nothing like a rusty old UO-8 for this application

3) sport-touring or all-day bike, a bit relaxed in geometry -- Capo

4) something fast, tight, fun -- a fair weather friend, male midlife alternative to an Italian sports car -- Bianchi
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-02-14, 02:50 PM
sloar 

I honestly can't live with my Merckx being my only bike. I also have a nice fixed gear as my everyday beater bike. My Merckx is for when I go out in the morning to get some long hard miles in. I don't have time to mountain bike anymore, but hopefully someday. And I have plans to do some track racing next year. But if I had to I could live with just my Merckx, I would just need a second pair of pedals.
Old 08-02-14, 02:57 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
My self control ends at being completely happy with my spouse. Bikes have too many roles to play in order to have just one.

Certain rides beg for a jaunty C&V bike, whereas sometimes I just want to hammer. Mountain biking is a whole other thing as well. Even gravel roads prefer a different type of bike (I know that's getting kinda over the top, but I don't have a cross bike or I would just use whatever that was). Then there's the bike with racks that can haul adult beverages home.

Why, because I can. It has gotten to the point, in the past, where it becomes too much. Then I cull the herd and wind up building nicer bikes to fill the same roles. Winters are long, and having a project really helps keep the enthusiasm right out of the gate when the weather improves.

I have one that's the top of the pile, but when it needed repair I was happy to have another really nice road bike to use.
Old 08-02-14, 03:36 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
I've spent twentyfive years without any bike and was pretty happy. But then I was spending my time, space and money on old cars. I just need stuff to tinker with and drool over.

Old 08-02-14, 03:47 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
My self control ends at being completely happy with my spouse. Bikes have too many roles to play in order to have just one.
I couldn't agree more. It's difficult to fully convince others (who aren't 'into bikes') that there really are different jobs which require different tools.
Swiss army knives are heavy and don't do any one thing terribly well.
Old 08-02-14, 04:08 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 228 Posts
My Salsa Vaya and Giant Halfway Folder would get the job done for riding but I love having a couple of ongoing projects to satisfy my "tinkering" gene.
Old 08-02-14, 04:20 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
I don't think I can ride just one. I have one that I ride more than others. My Serotta Atlanta gets the most miles. I can't say enough good things about it. There is a weight penalty when I take it out with the carbon crowd but no matter. If I get on the CAAD 10 after the Serotta there is the instant acceleration the stiffness provides but it can also feel like riding a log compared to nice steel.

I have toyed with rigid frame mountain bikes with quality steel frames and riding a sport tourer Trek 412. Had a Trek 620 but also but going pedal to the metal is what I like.
Old 08-02-14, 04:22 PM
AAZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel I need a backup when I do not have the time to fix/optimize my favorite one.
Old 08-02-14, 04:26 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Only my Monstercross bike is underused due to better bikes at hand. All my other bikes are used regularly.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-02-14, 04:31 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Nope. Have to have a "toy" in addition to the commuter ride. I could easily do with just the two. But why?
Old 08-02-14, 04:43 PM
JBC353

Bikes: Some Raleighs,some Schwinns and an Azor

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No, no way. Which is OK because bikes are small and light and can hang just about anywhere. And nice CV bikes are cheap, especially compared to cars, motorcycles, boats, airplanes and other toys.
Old 08-02-14, 04:50 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
...and speaking from direct experience, that particular Merckx is indeed a very magical bike.
Old 08-02-14, 05:00 PM
xuwol7

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have asked myself this very question many, many times, what if there was a law that you could only have 1 bike (perish the thought..lol).
The question I ask myself is which one??
I am a Peugeot fan and currently have 4:

1. Crazy Horse MTB which is used in the winter with studded tires, fenders, rack, coaster brake etc.

2. Canyon Express MTB which I use when I want to tear it up off road.

3. Urban Express which is used for commuting, grocery getting etc with full luggage, rack etc

4. PX-10 when I want to go FAST...

Love this thread
Old 08-02-14, 05:07 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
No
Old 08-02-14, 05:10 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
three is the best number.

i have five now, which means i must sell two of these:

- '73 pr10
- '80 moto gj
- '84 davidson

just not sure which. they're all so different. and beautiful.
Old 08-02-14, 05:18 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I was thinking about my bike situation earlier today. I have had several very nice classic bikes in the past. Going through the riding rotation, happy with each one but not totally satisfied. After selling, buying and building different bikes, I finally bought a Merckx corsa extra off Robbietunes, built it up with campy 10 speed. After riding it for awhile and not riding any of my other bikes I sold them all except for the Merckx. I honestly have no desire to buy another bike right now. Yeah theres a few on my must have someday list, but more for a collective value. Finally I am completely satisfied with one main bike. Ok I do have a fixed gear for commuting, but thats all I ride it for I have clipless pedals on the merckx. So how about you, could you be satisfied with just one, if so which one. Thanks, Its a slow day today at work.
I always have about 10 bikes, most are vintage Schwinn cruisers. Then I have 2 inexpensive fixed gear bikes that I ride mostly. If one has a flat, I dont have time to fix it I have another one to ride. I dont have any desire for a very expensive bike. I ride a lot, I sometime leave my bike where it can get stolen, locked or not. I want another fixed gear a little better quality than the ones I have, I will probably build one if I find a good frame. I also ride all winter in Michigan

One bike wont do it for me.
Old 08-02-14, 05:44 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I had a similar conversation with a bikey friend. The question was: "What bike would you keep in an apocalypse (could only keep one)?" I narrowed it down to a 26" wheel bike, steel of course, friction shifters (I could fix), good stopping power, could take racks & haul stuff, etc. I decided it would be the Fuji Sundance - lugged steel, roller cam brakes, ratchet friction, etc. Possibly the Sekai, because the paint already looks like it's been through an apocalypse so would fit in, but it's 5 speed & the Fuji is 6. It was pretty much a toss up.

This conversation came about around the time of the bike disaster relief trials. A 30 mile course (FEMA is involved with this as is emergency services) where cyclists have to pick up certain "supplies" (to emulate vaccines, gallons of water, etc.) and has to carry their bike (typically some sort of cargo bike) over a 3' high obstacle. Anyway its supposed to emulate how bikes will help in the event of a catastrophic emergency where cars, buses, etc. won't be running.
Old 08-02-14, 05:49 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Yes, I could be happy with one bike. But it would have to be the one PERFECT one.

SP
OC, OR
Old 08-02-14, 05:51 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I have four bikes. But I'm thinking of selling two of them. I could live with two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.