Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else not use the drops in their handlebars?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does anyone else not use the drops in their handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 11:05 PM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Have you thought about bullhorns?
Old 02-04-06, 11:47 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
If I'm riding real easy, I don't use the drops much. But if I'm pushing hard, I'm in the drops.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-04-06, 02:37 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
The OP said that the drops on his bike are collecting dust.

I'll suggest you start riding faster!

If they start growing moss, then cut 'em off.
Old 02-04-06, 02:50 PM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even people who hardly ever get down in their drops are real happy to have them when facing a big headwind on the ride home.
Old 02-04-06, 02:50 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It took me a year of riding my first bike with drop bars to get used to them, but I did eventually. While I don't use them even half (1/4?) of the time I am riding, there are times they are indispensable. Have you tried putting the bike on a trainer and using the drop position in a lower risk, get the feel manner? I am a big fan of this for most "get used to it" bicycle things. Might help.

I don't use my pinky much, but I wouldn't cut it off until I was really certain I wouldn't ever be needing it. Just my two cents.
Old 02-04-06, 03:03 PM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by khan
(...)and most of the bars nowadays (at least in this shop's stock) have a very short flat for the drop. They expect you to ride in the curve if you're going to be in the drops. I'm up there if I'm sprinting but at the front of a line or into the wind just cruising, I was alwasy on the flat of the drop just kind of relaxing. What happened? Did everyone change the way they ride in the drops nowadays?
Yes, I'm not the only person that is bothered by the lack of a flat section on the drops. I need some thing to replace my stupid "ergo" bars. The bars on my dads Varsity are so comfortable because the have a super long flat section. But yes I still use my drops probably 45% of the time 50 on the hoods and 5 on the tops (no big hills here, bummer)
Old 02-04-06, 11:03 PM
veneer
What's your Fetish, eh?

Bikes: 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simplyred
2 Things
1/ Your balls may be too big & you need a cutout.. LOL
2/ You bars/drops may be too low & you need to raise it up a couple spacers...

Try it out man
That's what it's all about

-simplyred
ok ok... i've got big balls.. damn red.. now you know my secret.. lol

i've gotta play with the spacers.. perhaps even flip my stem upwards.
Old 02-04-06, 11:18 PM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by khan
Check overall bar height. The drops should not be so low that they are too uncomfortable to ride in. Of course, now that everyone is cutting off their steerer tubes that adjustment may be a bit more of a hassle than it used to be.
I recently bought new bars for a new frame I was building up. Didn't really notice it until the first ride but, when I went down to reach for the drops, whoa, there was nothing there. Went back to the shop to swap out bars and most of the bars nowadays (at least in this shop's stock) have a very short flat for the drop. They expect you to ride in the curve if you're going to be in the drops. I'm up there if I'm sprinting but at the front of a line or into the wind just cruising, I was alwasy on the flat of the drop just kind of relaxing. What happened? Did everyone change the way they ride in the drops nowadays?
Get some nice modolo bars from nashbar, they still have the sprinting flats.

I think people have gotten lazy and stopped sprinting...
Old 02-04-06, 11:25 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the drops every now and then. Especially when riding into a strong headwind. They are invaluable in that situation...that and high speed decents.
Old 02-04-06, 11:30 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn_mojo
Anyone else ride in the drops the majority of the time, or is it just me?
For me, it depends. I try and switch around as often as possible. However, on some rides, I never hit the drops but on other rides, I find myself never out of them. Lately, I've been trying to do more climbs from the drops. I feel that moving around helps to relieve fatigue as you're using different and all muscle groups by doing so.
Old 02-04-06, 11:36 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by catatonic
Heck I rarely use the hoods at all...I found the bend where the horizontal and initial bend portion of the drops meet is the most comfortable spot for my hands ever...it's like my hands were made for that spot of the bars, I can ride there all day long.
I like that position too for liesurely cruising. That's why I like the bars with a straight yet angled section there such as the older Easton EC90s or Modolo X-Tenos 8-bend.
Old 02-04-06, 11:40 PM
rOOster14
anything but last

Bikes: Cannondale caad9 full duraace`, trek soho singlespeed...cross bike coming soon.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i use them to ride into headwinds and when i feel like i need to calm myself down and get a sense of rhythm back
Old 02-04-06, 11:43 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Damn, that thing looks comfortable as hell. I wonder if it's possible to fall asleep from being totally and completely relaxed and unjostled while riding that around. Those MUTs sure have really rough terrain..
If you're used to road bikes, it'll be uncomfortable as hell. Combine the speed with wind resistance, the awkwardness of lack of leverage, and the lack of proper hand positions would make it unrideable for me...
Old 02-05-06, 12:03 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by bccycleguy
Even people who hardly ever get down in their drops are real happy to have them when facing a big headwind on the ride home.
Funny you should say that, because that's just what happened. I hit a headwind (and to top it off the asphalt was worn and rocky) and I swear I wasn't moving. I forced myself to ride the drops and there was an advantage, but its still not comfortable, mainly in the neck. I'm going to ride the drops on my trainer until my body is used to it.
Old 02-05-06, 04:43 AM
biker7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drops aren't the same for everybody. If your bike is small relative to your body size, your drop position is likely too severe and why many find them uncomfortable.
To me, a bike is sized properly if the drops are comfortable.
George
Old 02-05-06, 05:32 AM
trmcgeehan

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 67, my old neck won't permit me to get down to the drops very long. It's hard to keep my head up to see where I'm going. The only time I do get down is when it's really windy and I am trying to get a bit more areo dynamic.
Old 02-05-06, 06:22 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Drop bars were designed to give a number of riding positions. If you don't use them your set up needs tweaking. Experiment and raise your bars slightly, (change stem or spacers as needed) until you find something that it reasonably comfortable. Allow your body to adjust a bit at a time and you will find that you enjoy the added position. Like many others posting on this topic the lower position is essential for long rides into a headwind, unless you have added aerobars.
Hockey
Old 02-05-06, 06:24 AM
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some good points here. i spend almost all the time in the drops. mtn mojo is right; i think most people have their 'bars too low. raise 'em and the problem is fixed. it may hurt your neck initially, as some have said, but in less than a month your neck is trained and you don't notice it. and i also agree with khan; why is the flat section behind the bottom of the drops so short? and if your knees are pounding your gut, the problem is either 1.) lose the gut, or 2.) your hip angle is too compressed
Old 02-05-06, 03:48 PM
Ironwoman

Bikes: Trek 5200, Calfee Tetra Tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn_mojo
I think I'm almost the opposite of the original poster...I ride in the drops almost the entire time I'm on my bike. I'm not sure if this is "correct" technique, but when I'm on the hoods it's because I'm either climbing, starting from slow/stopped at a light, or just coasting along taking it easy. I guess I just really love spinning along, all tucked in while in the drops.

Anyone else ride in the drops the majority of the time, or is it just me?

I, too, ride in the drops most of the time (or on my aerobars).