Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advise for complete novice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 07:49 PM
boshk

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR3, Diverge DSW (retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All

Just want to ask for some suggestions.

I live in Hong Kong and want to take up cycling for health reasons.
I haven't cycle before, only rentals maybe once a year.

Hong Kong is mainly paved cycle path, so most of my riding will be on paved road and paths. As to forest trails etc, I don't even think there is any like what you guys have in US and Europe.

I've been to a few LBS and they mainly carry Giant, Merida, Cannondale, some Scott, Norca and Trek.

They asked me what type of bike I want and I couldn't even answer them, Road or MTB.
I know I don't want a full road race bike. Also, there is no try-out/demo bikes, they don't do that here.

I've heard MTB are easier to ride, less aggressive positioning but if I ride on paved, the front shock is pretty useless, Road bikes easier to get speed but thinner tires and way more aggressive but they do offer several riding positions/grip.

So far, I've seen a Scott Cross hybrid
https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...ss-30-Men-Bike

Giant Fastroad SLR2
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/bikes-fastroad-slr

Giant Anyroad 2
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/bikes-anyroad

Merida Big 7 500
BIG.SEVEN 500 - Hardtails - Merida Bikes International

Any opinions on these?
Old 01-09-17, 07:59 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Eliminate bikes with suspension.

1 advantage of a road bike with drop bars is the multiple hand positions. You could get a road bike that had room for wider, more comfortable tires, like 28mm or 32mm.

The Giant Anyroad looks good at first glance

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 01-09-17 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-09-17, 08:05 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I recommend that first figure out if you prefer road or flat handle bars. Do more calling around to find a store that will let you test ride. Explain to them that you would be much more motivated to spend your hard earned money on a bike if you could at least try it first to see if you like it. Let them know what time frame test ride you are talking about. Make sure that there is more seat post showing than head tube size. Usually more than 9" of seat and post.
Old 01-09-17, 08:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
IME, both as a rider and years selling bicycles retail, most new riders are happier with upright bars. I also think that the low end shocks we see on entry and mid level bikes are a poor value, so like Homebrew, I suggest going without.

So, look for a decently light upright position hybrid, either with 26" road style tires or 700c. This kind of bike is comparable to family coupes or sedans in the auto world and the right thing for most riders. After riding a while, you'll either decide you want something sportier, or try a more dedicated mtn bike (assuming you can find a place to ride that), or you might stay with this first bike, with minor upgrades and changes as you go along.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-09-17, 09:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
I'd say that for someone who wants a bit of comfort and isn't concerned with flat-out speed the Anyroad seems the best choice ... but so much ... depends ....

Is the OP planning to ride five or fifteen miles at a time or fifty or 80? (Sorry, ten to 30 km, or 100-150 km at a a time?) Will s/he be riding though traffic or crowds of people? Will these be leisurely walking-pace cruises or a little more rapid and vigorous rides?

For any sort of distance over 15 miles I'd go with a drop bar. The rider can raise the bar as high as needed for comfort, but multiple hand positions are a plus for any ride more than about half an hour.

The hardest part about putting novices on drop-bar bikes is that their legs and core muscles aren't strong enough, so they lean on their hands and it hurts. Setting up the bike properly and learning to ride it properly alleviate these issues.

I say all this as a person with many, many years of commuting on a flat-bar bike and about as many years and miles on drop-bars.
Old 01-09-17, 09:47 PM
MikeinFL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can't imagine not trying a bike before I buy it, because the bike must fit you and feel comfortable for one thing. see vids on frame size fit to start
Old 01-09-17, 09:49 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Paved cycle paths? Hybrid/upright position. At minimum, flat bar no suspension MTB.

Picking your way through cycle traffic in a road position that has you looking five feet in front of your front wheel is not the best way to start cycling.
Old 01-09-17, 09:57 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I lived in HK for a couple years in the 90s on an expat assignment - looks like there's been quite an investment made in bicycle paths since then. If it were me, I'd get a folding bike - a Brompton specifically which will is nearly as convenient as wheeled carry-on luggage in terms of taking it anywhere. HK public transportation is excellent between the MTR, buses, and cheap taxis, think of how fun it would be to take your bike to ride the best spots, yet avoid the hellish traffic, dangerous narrow roads, and crazy steep mountain roads. There's a lot more too... best city bike there is.
Old 01-09-17, 10:24 PM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeinFL
can't imagine not trying a bike before I buy it, because the bike must fit you and feel comfortable for one thing. see vids on frame size fit to start
Yea, its just the way it is here in Hong Kong. I'll go and visit a few more LBS and see what they say.
Old 01-09-17, 10:45 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I'm a 100% sure I have been in the Specialized store in Kowloon and sat on bike for feel and fit. Might want to try there I think it's off Canton Rd

jbucky
https://www.buckyrides.com
Old 01-10-17, 09:40 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Just looked at Craigslist Hong Kong. One bike. Too bad. Might be good to find a properly sized used bike to see if you are going to stick with it before dropping a bunch of dollars.
Old 01-10-17, 09:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
folding bikes are very popular in the big Asian Cities, because they don't take up much room in small expensive(?) apartments + multi mode getting on trains and busses is possible.

folding bikes are a product. they make 1 size, but with their adjustments, you adapt them to you.

Old 01-10-17, 11:15 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Perhaps the bike shop has a trainer so you can take a stationary "test ride".
If nothing else, you could try out some saddles & the various gear & brake systems, that might uncover some preferences.

Old 01-10-17, 01:09 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Sorry, I won't be contributing to your question but HK may be in my future. What is city cycling like on the island from Shek-O to downtown? I've seen the traffic and it seems a cyclist will get anywhere quickly by filtering through traffic.

I've seen the bike lane in Sha Tin and they look like you have to get off your bike every block to cross the street.
Old 01-10-17, 01:45 PM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar
Just looked at Craigslist Hong Kong. One bike. Too bad. Might be good to find a properly sized used bike to see if you are going to stick with it before dropping a bunch of dollars.
I bet CL is not as popular in HK. For example in Canada CL is no longer go to site, Kijiji pretty much de-facto for regular ads plus various FB groups. I am curious to see what is there on 2nd hand market.

OP, what is the most popular classifieds board in HK?
Old 01-10-17, 06:02 PM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Perhaps the bike shop has a trainer so you can take a stationary "test ride".
If nothing else, you could try out some saddles & the various gear & brake systems, that might uncover some preferences.
Yea, I'll try to ask for one
Old 01-10-17, 06:03 PM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mongol777
I bet CL is not as popular in HK. For example in Canada CL is no longer go to site, Kijiji pretty much de-facto for regular ads plus various FB groups. I am curious to see what is there on 2nd hand market.

OP, what is the most popular classifieds board in HK?
For english, asiaexpat. There are a few chinese ones, am i allow to type them on this forum?
Old 01-10-17, 06:06 PM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Sorry, I won't be contributing to your question but HK may be in my future. What is city cycling like on the island from Shek-O to downtown? I've seen the traffic and it seems a cyclist will get anywhere quickly by filtering through traffic.

I've seen the bike lane in Sha Tin and they look like you have to get off your bike every block to cross the street.
Hmmm, i would rate it as crazy, its a single lane each way, so if u cycle, u block cars and buses. Some will overtake you giving you 2inch space, then you have to deal with the trucks and buses headon in corners.

Then theres the weather, summer is 35C 96% humidity with exhaust thrown in.
Old 01-10-17, 06:10 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by boshk
For english, asiaexpat. There are a few chinese ones, am i allow to type them on this forum?
Yes. You can mention & link to sites that sell bikes etc... provided you are not promoting or trying to sell things.
For example,
If you see a used bike for sale, you can provide a link and ask for advice

Old 01-10-17, 06:19 PM
mongol777

Originally Posted by boshk
So this one is like 230 USD? Hong Kong Expat - Hong Kong apartments, expat relocation, Hong Kong serviced apartments, Hong Kong property, Hong Kong property for rent, apartments for rent
Pretty good deal if it fits you and checks out mechanically
Old 01-10-17, 06:21 PM
mongol777

$420 (how much are they new in HK) Hong Kong Expat - Hong Kong apartments, expat relocation, Hong Kong serviced apartments, Hong Kong property, Hong Kong property for rent, apartments for rent
Old 01-11-17, 01:29 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Paved cycle paths? Hybrid/upright position. At minimum, flat bar no suspension MTB.

Picking your way through cycle traffic in a road position that has you looking five feet in front of your front wheel is not the best way to start cycling.
I concur if you're in a small area like Hong Kong there will be thousands of other riders all around you and as a novice you will need good control not high speed performance. Go with a hard fork hybrid with wide tires and disk brakes. Later if you feel like you need more speed you can get a more agressive bike then.
Old 01-11-17, 05:03 AM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
I went today to Monster Bike shop, guy was very friendly and helpful.

No demo available but he did let me sit on their Merida MTB and a drop bar race bike.

For sure, drop bar isn't for me.....yet, flat handle bars is better at least for my hurting shoulder.

Now its down to more research...
MTB like the Merida Big Seven 500....(but as you guys suggested, suspension is pointless for paved road cycling)
Merida Speeder 300 or 500...city bike
Giant Fastroad SLR
Old 01-11-17, 05:47 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
As a newbie to drop bars I understand they may seem super weird when you're new to cycling, but in my experience it doesn't take that much to get used to them and they're really comfortable on long rides. With a riser stem you can get a more upright position (which is how I regularly ride my bike for commuting).

If you're firm on flat bars, or not planning to do any long rides, how about a hybrid? You get 700c wheels, wide tyres (you can switch between road specific tyres and something CX oriented, in case you want to try off road gravel grinding), no suspension and flat bars and either rim or disc brakes, depending on price. Something like the Kona Dew, Giant Escape, Specialized Sirrus, Merida Crossway Urban, etc

Almost every brand has a hybrid model with different components. The most basic models usually spec a triple crankset, with easy gearing for climbs.
Old 01-11-17, 08:37 AM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Yes. You can mention & link to sites that sell bikes etc... provided you are not promoting or trying to sell things.
For example,
If you see a used bike for sale, you can provide a link and ask for advice
here is one of the chinese/english sites...

**********?? 28Bike.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.