Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork crown too small for headset?!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 01:25 PM
Dan515

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was planning on swapping my unbranded carbon fork for an unbranded steel fork to make my bike "tougher" for commuting, as well as possibly adding racks and full fenders without having to do annoying DIY work-arounds in the near future.

I haven't swapped the crown race yet, but even just by putting the steel fork into the headtube (both 1 1/8" threadless), it looks like the crown of the fork is too small for the headset!

On my carbon fork, the headset would have a "perfect fit" and sit on the crown nicely.

On this steel fork, the crown of the fork is basically "in" the headset, with ~4mm of the headset "hanging over" the crown of the fork.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention it's a Cane Creek Solos headset. The carbon fork's steer tube is not tapered.

The frame is a Kona JTS, approx 2007-8.

Does this mean I can't use the steel fork on my bike? I thought I could basically swap any 1 1/8" threadless fork with another!

Last edited by Dan515; 03-21-13 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 01:33 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does your carbon fork have a tapered steerer tube????

That would make your straight steel steerer too small to fit the lower bearing assy without adaptors.
Old 03-21-13, 01:34 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
you might have to swap the crown race thats pressed down onto the fork.
Old 03-21-13, 01:49 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I'm guessing this is a zero stack headset and head tube.

They look great with a beefy carbon fork sitting flush against them, but all kinds of wrong with a more traditional fork hanging out... but I bet the 1 1/8" crown race is the same on both forks, like the first two in the diagram.

Also, the carbon fork is likely a lot stronger than the steel fork, impact resistance aside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image1.jpg (97.7 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Kimmo; 03-21-13 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 03:32 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Post a couple of pictures. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're talking about.
Old 03-21-13, 04:07 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Many forks, particularly carbon, have a rather wide crown race seat and the crown race will either be completely inside the seat or flush with the edges. I expect your steel fork has a smaller crown race seat and the race hangs over the edges by a bit. Not a problem and, in fact, an advantage since removing the crown race in the future will be a lot easier.
Old 03-21-13, 04:58 PM
Dan515

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I'm guessing this is a zero stack headset and head tube.

They look great with a beefy carbon fork sitting flush against them, but all kinds of wrong with a more traditional fork hanging out... but I bet the 1 1/8" crown race is the same on both forks, like the first two in the diagram.

Also, the carbon fork is likely a lot stronger than the steel fork, impact resistance aside.
I edited my OP - it's a Cane Creek SOLOS headset in a 2007-8 Kona JTS, if that helps any. I don't think it's a zero-stack HS, and I'm almost certain it's not a zero-stack headtube.

As for the reason for swapping forks - I'm worried about the impact resistance since I've got lots of dings on my bike from other commuters locking up next to me, and I'd rather have a dinged up steel fork than a cracked carbon one. Plus, I figure having a steel fork will make my bike less attractive to thieves. I also want hassle-free rack and fender installation in the near future.

Originally Posted by Camilo
Post a couple of pictures. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're talking about.
I'll see what I can do - I took some pics but they turned out really badly and you can't make out what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by HillRider
Many forks, particularly carbon, have a rather wide crown race seat and the crown race will either be completely inside the seat or flush with the edges. I expect your steel fork has a smaller crown race seat and the race hangs over the edges by a bit. Not a problem and, in fact, an advantage since removing the crown race in the future will be a lot easier.
I haven't swapped the crown race yet. The problem seems to be that the steel fork's crown race seat area is so much smaller that if I were to install the fork, the underside of the headset would be exposed to the elements (assuming the crown race fits).
Old 03-21-13, 08:39 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
There should be a plastic cover bridging the gap between the crown race and cup.

Originally Posted by Dan515
I'll see what I can do - I took some pics but they turned out really badly and you can't make out what I'm talking about.
Wow, those pics must be super crappy... we pretty much just need a silhouette.
Old 03-25-13, 04:00 PM
Dan515

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay so here's the best picture I can provide:

This is without any crown race (I haven't managed to get the crown race off of the carbon fork yet...). You can see that there's a small gap between the inner lip of the headset and the crown/crown seat area (not sure of the terminology) of the fork. On my unbranded carbon fork, the bottom of the headset sits flush with the fork crown, whereas here it's "hanging over" the steel fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
101_0091.jpg (93.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-25-13, 07:38 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan515
Okay so here's the best picture I can provide:

This is without any crown race (I haven't managed to get the crown race off of the carbon fork yet...). You can see that there's a small gap between the inner lip of the headset and the crown/crown seat area (not sure of the terminology) of the fork. On my unbranded carbon fork, the bottom of the headset sits flush with the fork crown, whereas here it's "hanging over" the steel fork.
I'm still having a hard time picturing what you are complaining about. Will it work mechanically once you get the race in place? I'm just wondering if its an aesthetic issue or a functional issue? Even if the seal is exposed, will the bearings still ride properly and function? If so then I imagine that you just need to find a headset with a good seal.
Old 03-25-13, 07:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,405 Posts
If I'm reading you correctly, the issue is that the crown race is overhanging the crown front and back.

If that's the issue, there isn't one.

Historically steel fork crowns were made narrow enough for the races to overhang. This made it easier to knock them off with a U-shaped tool. This is the way things were for almost a century. Over the last few decades, crowns got larger, first to accommodate suspension forks, and later carbon forks, rendering the tools that push them out from below obsolete.

All that matters is that the crown seat diameter is adequate to make a press fit except for the split crown centering cones used with some cartridge bearing headsets.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.