Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Biking to school: Good or bad idea

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Biking to school: Good or bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 11:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,435 Posts
I've locked up high end bikes in NYC and Boston, though usually not for long. I have used a cheapo cable to lock the front wheel to the frame. Of course, I use a U lock to lock the frame and rear wheel to something fixed. I have never had a wheel stolen. Therefore, it seems a good compromise between security and convenience to use a cheapo lock for just one wheel. It's easy for a thief to cut the cable and reap the reward of a wheel, but it seems that they just don't do that, for whatever reason.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-27-15, 11:24 AM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're likely going to need some high quality locks (read: over $100) to keep that baby safe throughout the day. My advice is to ride it to school and track stand during lectures to reduce the chances of it being stolen (what's the probability of a bike getting stolen WHILE the rider still clipped in?). The money you'll save (instead of buying a heavy duty lock and/or a cheap beater) can be used to purchase overpriced textbooks that were written by your professor.
Old 01-27-15, 02:20 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could make a thiefproof system but it would cost something like 600$ and wouldn't be hassle free.
It takes about 15min and 2 disks to cut through my security chain using powertools.
Adding to that extra security features and video surveillance using a cheap cellphone or wireless camera (baby video monitor) placed in front of your bike that should allow you to check your bike every 15-20 min.

Last edited by erig007; 01-27-15 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-27-15, 06:57 PM
MathBunny

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auldgeunquers
Riding good. Always. Why wait for summer?

But - since the ideal number of bikes in N+1 AND we have here a near perfect excuse for the +1 ... then here is opportunity knocking at your door. Buy something that works for your commute but is as different from the Allez as possible! Expand your horizons (that's what school is for , no?) and get an alternative ride that interests you, suits the need of the commute, and which would not create hardship if stolen.

Good to strike a balance between a nice patina of age and non-descipt-ness so as not to attract attention with a cool retro hipster vibe and maybe a rack and baskets both to declare your green-ness and increase utility. No need to deck it with plastic sunflowers though, IM(H)O.

Plus - you then have a spare bike for casual rides when someone from out of town comes to visit. As long as you are skilled enough to ride the Allez slow ...
True... n+1 formula shall be used! I might use my mountain bike!
Old 01-27-15, 06:58 PM
MathBunny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm going to go the safe route and ride my mountain bike to school... it's old but I guess it'll work.
Addicted to the 18lbs of my specialized.

I wonder how many people will think I'm weird going to school with a cycling kit though. THANKS!
Old 01-27-15, 06:59 PM
MathBunny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KLiNCK
It's a great idea to commute to school!
Convenient, efficient and good exercise.
However, as per your concern...
A Specialized Allez Elite, surrounded by mountain/commuter bikes, will definitely stand out at the bike rack.
Good idea going with a "multiple lock" scenario.
How bad is bicycle theft at your campus?
What length of time will your bike be parked/unsupervised?
It's scary to know that anyone who really wants your bike can cut through steel cable/lock hasps in seconds.

Here's a minimum recommended U-Lock/cable configuration:

Even with this set-up, your seat/post, handlebars and pedals can be easily scavenged.
There is nothing worse than looking forward to "the ride home" and finding that your bike has been compromised.
Bike thieves are weasels!
And they like the good stuff.
Is there any way you could find a better "monitored area" vs. the public bike rack for parking the Allez?
If not, for campus life, I strongly suggest getting a well-tuned beater bike to "hide within the herd".
A well-sorted beater ($100-$300) can haul!
If you don't want your bicycle to be disappear - don't let it out of your sight.
If you park your bicycle, and leave it unattended... eventually, will be stolen.
IMHO.

Is that "105" or "Sora"?
It is so easy to steal some components such as the seat. True... I wish I could bolt it on or something.
Old 01-27-15, 07:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by MathBunny
It is so easy to steal some components such as the seat. True... I wish I could bolt it on or something.
Most road bikes have bolt on seat posts... or at least they used to.

It was only the MTBs which for some reason everyone decided they needed a QR on the seat.

Just replace the QR with a bolt, hopefully one made for your bike.
Old 01-27-15, 07:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
There's a reason Schwinn called it a Collegiate
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-27-15, 07:38 PM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm going to go the safe route and ride my mountain bike to school... it's old but I guess it'll work.

I wonder how many people will think I'm weird going to school with a cycling kit though. THANKS!
All of them. Bring a pants to pull over your bib shorts when you're walking around off the bike.
Old 01-27-15, 07:40 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Let me give you some real world advice about bikes around universities. I have two kids in a major urban university who both have bikes that are their main form of transportation. Bike theft is epidemic on this campus. One kid is a senior and the other is a junior so that is a combine time of 7 years of parking bikes around universities. For most of that time their bikes have been locked outside on bike racks. We've never had a problem and I don't anticipate that we will either.

The VAST majority of bikes around schools are locked poorly. Usually it's just a U lock to post around the top tube. These don't last long or at least the parts don't. That's good news for you - it's a target rich environment for bike thieves so with a little discouragement, they will be persuaded to look at other bikes.

The Bike:
My kids are cyclists and they like to ride good bikes. It's their primary form of transportation. They have circa 1985 racing bikes that are excellent to ride, are high quality but are not that desirable as a theft option. I would not ride a current state of the art road bike. It's a likely target and it is no where near as durable as the road bikes we're using.

The Locks:
One or two U locks, using the second best (orange) Kryptonite lock. We buy all the locks for our family keyed alike straight from Krytonite. Just call customer server to get them set up that way. When they lock it outside for the night, there is a lock from downtime to front tire and a lock through the frame and rear tire to the rack Sheldon Brown style. When they leave to go to class or wherever, they leave one lock locked to the bike rack and take the other.

They also have pit locks on their wheel skewers, fork and seat post.

Neither bike has been touched although bikes immediately alongside have been stolen or had parts taken. These bikes are typically not as nice as theirs.

Yes, it's a lot of money on locks. But these are nice bikes and the cost in time and money (much of it mine) is worth it. All the stuff is reusable or can be sold when we're done with it. The real issue is the hassle factor not the cost of the bike. My kids are both in challenging majors and I don't want them worrying about their bikes, or chasing around trying to replace them when they should be doing school stuff. Additionally, it's going to fall on me to help them, and I don't want to spend any time on that either. The incremental difference from good locks to great locks is not much at all and a great value.

J.
Old 01-27-15, 07:53 PM
CliffordK

You never mentioned how long your commute was.
People will laugh at you if you put on your full cycling garb (with a dozen sponsor's names on it).
Ride 6 blocks.
Then wear your spandex to class.

You can certainly wear street clothes on a bike, especially for short trips.
Old 01-27-15, 08:01 PM
MathBunny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Let me give you some real world advice about bikes around universities. I have two kids in a major urban university who both have bikes that are their main form of transportation. Bike theft is epidemic on this campus. One kid is a senior and the other is a junior so that is a combine time of 7 years of parking bikes around universities. For most of that time their bikes have been locked outside on bike racks. We've never had a problem and I don't anticipate that we will either.

The VAST majority of bikes around schools are locked poorly. Usually it's just a U lock to post around the top tube. These don't last long or at least the parts don't. That's good news for you - it's a target rich environment for bike thieves so with a little discouragement, they will be persuaded to look at other bikes.

The Bike:
My kids are cyclists and they like to ride good bikes. It's their primary form of transportation. They have circa 1985 racing bikes that are excellent to ride, are high quality but are not that desirable as a theft option. I would not ride a current state of the art road bike. It's a likely target and it is no where near as durable as the road bikes we're using.

The Locks:
One or two U locks, using the second best (orange) Kryptonite lock. We buy all the locks for our family keyed alike straight from Krytonite. Just call customer server to get them set up that way. When they lock it outside for the night, there is a lock from downtime to front tire and a lock through the frame and rear tire to the rack Sheldon Brown style. When they leave to go to class or wherever, they leave one lock locked to the bike rack and take the other.

They also have pit locks on their wheel skewers, fork and seat post.

Neither bike has been touched although bikes immediately alongside have been stolen or had parts taken. These bikes are typically not as nice as theirs.

Yes, it's a lot of money on locks. But these are nice bikes and the cost in time and money (much of it mine) is worth it. All the stuff is reusable or can be sold when we're done with it. The real issue is the hassle factor not the cost of the bike. My kids are both in challenging majors and I don't want them worrying about their bikes, or chasing around trying to replace them when they should be doing school stuff. Additionally, it's going to fall on me to help them, and I don't want to spend any time on that either. The incremental difference from good locks to great locks is not much at all and a great value.

J.
There really isn't much to steal at that point
nice! Maybe I'll invest some money to ride at uni too...
Old 01-27-15, 08:04 PM
MathBunny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You never mentioned how long your commute was.
People will laugh at you if you put on your full cycling garb (with a dozen sponsor's names on it).
Ride 6 blocks.
Then wear your spandex to class.

You can certainly wear street clothes on a bike, especially for short trips.
It is roughly 10km so not long at all. With my mountain bike it takes like 22 - 30 minutes so it's not horrible.
Yes... I once had a dream I showed up to class wearing my cycling clothes but I got kicked out due to "inappropriate wear"

I brought my cycling kit to school for Halloween... and let's just say it was showing how I really only weigh 120lbs I was literally a stick..
Thanks for all the help. I guess I'll try to convince my parents once it becomes 15ºc!
Old 01-27-15, 09:19 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I'm going to go the safe route and ride my mountain bike to school... it's old but I guess it'll work...
Mountain bikes can make great commuters - especially the old-school no-suspension ones. Road tires, fenders and a rack on the back make for a lively and very useful bike. Drop bars if you like 'em better.

Road tires REALLY make a difference.
Old 01-28-15, 08:03 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend who has a second pair of wheels with slick tires that he uses on his mountain bike for city riding. It makes it a bit less of a drag than riding on knobbies on pavement. Might be an option for you.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 01-28-15, 11:17 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
There really isn't much to steal at that point
nice! Maybe I'll invest some money to ride at uni too...
Like I said, it works and you get to ride a nice bike.

J.
Old 01-28-15, 01:04 PM
Dan515

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Kona Jake the Snake with Ultegra 6500 and a carbon fork, drop bars. Rode it on campus and locked it up with a Kryptonite Mini-Ulock and Kryptonite cable for most of my undergrad. I've had a classmate's bike right next to mine stolen which spooked me a bit, but I've never even had my locks tampered with.

I think JohnJ80 is on point when he says that most bikes that are targets aren't locked up well.

It may sound harsh, but see if you can park your bike next to someone who hasn't locked theirs up well (or at all, as the case sometimes is). Better yours than theirs..?

Also, look into bike lockers on campus. My campus had a few secure bike locker cages or bins that you could have monthly access to for a certain fee.
Old 01-28-15, 01:19 PM
StorkDM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute to class at Wisconsin (so another very large university) on an older mountain bike and use a quality chainlock from kryptonite. I am forced to leave my bike locked up overnight as well. I have replaced all my qr components with standard bolt on skewers and a bolt on seat post clamp. After looking at the bikes to the left and right of mine at the bike racks, I highly doubt someone would mess with my bike. People ride much more expensive bikes to class and lock em up with walmart cable locks.

My personal favorite is an old GT mountain bike missing it's handle bars. Its frame is locked with a u lock but I think it's been there all winter and made itself an easy target.
Old 01-28-15, 01:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Definitely invest in a good lock. You'll be able to use it forever. I am using the same Kryptonite that kept my bike safe for 4 years on the Berkeley campus from '85 to '89.
Old 01-28-15, 05:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'm worried that my bike will be a magnet of attention and will get stolen or vandalized.
Losing A WallyWorld bike will be less of a bother , but walking home may be, so lock it up too..
Old 01-28-15, 10:55 PM
Calder Benson

Bikes: '14 Jamis Coda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I was wondering if it's a good or bad idea to bike to school in the summer.
I have a Specialized Allez Elite (2014 - costed $1300). I was considering buying two locks - for the wheels and to lock it to the pole at school. A lot of people bike, but nobody with a road bike. I'm worried that my bike will be a magnet of attention and will get stolen or vandalized.

Advice?
I would get a beater to ride to and from school. IMO its a matter of when and not if the bike is stolen.

I rocked a chrome bmx in college. Did me just fine. Yes it was stolen, but I got 3/4's of the way through school before it happened. Didn't replace it, I just walked to classes after that since I lived half a mile from campus.
Old 01-28-15, 11:03 PM
Calder Benson

Bikes: '14 Jamis Coda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

True but how much nicer will that 18lb er feel after you've put some time on the clunker. Probably not the right perspective to have though.
Old 01-29-15, 12:20 AM
Caribou

Bikes: 2016 Trek 7.3, 1997 Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't be able to concentrate in class with $1300 sitting outside. Get a 90s MTB and put road slicks on it like others have said. I have an old HardRock with the Specialized logos covered up with black tape to match the frame, and I use a chain lock and a U-lock. Now I'm worried someone will steal my nice saddle.
Old 01-29-15, 01:18 AM
CliffordK

It is roughly 10km so not long at all. With my mountain bike it takes like 22 - 30 minutes so it's not horrible.
Yes... I once had a dream I showed up to class wearing my cycling clothes but I got kicked out due to "inappropriate wear"
That's about 6 miles. Not too bad, but I think I'd get tired of riding a MTB or beater that far every day.

I guess I realized long ago that much of my riding would be commuting and errands, and I just didn't want to leave my Colnago at home so I could ride a bike that I disliked. Heck, it might still be pristine today if I hadn't been riding it, but I bought it because I wanted to ride it, not hang it up.

However, there are a lot of good bikes in the $200 to $300 range if you keep your eyes open. It certainly would be worth considering doing your +1 as a dedicated commuter, also outfitted for year-round/winter riding and light loads.
Old 01-29-15, 07:32 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Better to not enjoy it on your commute than have it stolen and not enjoy it at all. Millions of people routinely ride 40 lb 3-speed bikes 10-30 miles each way on a daily basis. It's not difficult. 6 miles won't be a problem.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 01-29-15 at 07:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.