Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

I want a Brompton, or a Dahon Fomula S18

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-15, 05:31 PM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I known they are in different spectrum of folders, but that is where I'm leaning at the moment.

Brompton- known quantity. Lasts a long time and has smallest fold. Hand made in UK.

Formula- Avid BB5 discs. 18 speeds. Faster and better handling most likely.

What do I need it for? Not a multi mode commuter. But I have a crash pad in NEwark NJ and want to visit the city often. Will be better than my vintage Raleigh 10 speed I picked up as a tool-around bike. Can't really take the Raleigh on the train during rush hour.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-15-15, 06:24 PM
Dan515

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride-Fly

What do I need it for? Not a multi mode commuter. But I have a crash pad in NEwark NJ and want to visit the city often. Will be better than my vintage Raleigh 10 speed I picked up as a tool-around bike. Can't really take the Raleigh on the train during rush hour.

What do you guys think?
So... you are doing multi-modal commuting? How often do you plan on visiting Newark? Also, do you plan on just riding around the city a bit, or would you want to do more extensive riding?

If you're just going on the train with a folder once a month or something like that, with only the chance of getting caught in rush hour public transit traffic, then the bulkier fold of the Dahon Formula is something you could just put up with, and you could save some money. However, if you're doing it fairly frequently, especially during rush hour, perhaps a Brompton would be a better investment.
Old 02-15-15, 08:36 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What is you budget? How tall are you? What is your weight? What is your riding ability?

I recommend the Brompton. It is more versatile due to the fold. It has the best bar none re-sale value. It is probably sturdier for taller, heavier riders.
Old 02-16-15, 09:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+ the Brompton front wheel folds back over the drivetrain , to make it less likely it will make other people get chain grime on them.
Old 02-16-15, 05:31 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brompton for folding,Dahon for riding.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-16-15, 05:47 PM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
What is you budget? How tall are you? What is your weight? What is your riding ability?

I recommend the Brompton. It is more versatile due to the fold. It has the best bar none re-sale value. It is probably sturdier for taller, heavier riders.
I'm 5'10", 180lbs and an avid roadie. I usually ride about 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year with lots of climbing. My budget is prob around $1500. I was under the impression that Bromps weren't as stiff and sturdy as the newer Dahons and Terns, primarily because of their folding joints. Good to get that straight as i value a stiff precise ride.

Originally Posted by Dan515
So... you are doing multi-modal commuting? How often do you plan on visiting Newark? Also, do you plan on just riding around the city a bit, or would you want to do more extensive riding?

If you're just going on the train with a folder once a month or something like that, with only the chance of getting caught in rush hour public transit traffic, then the bulkier fold of the Dahon Formula is something you could just put up with, and you could save some money. However, if you're doing it fairly frequently, especially during rush hour, perhaps a Brompton would be a better investment.
I'll probably only get into the city once or twice a month using the NJ train into NY Penn Station. Then want to ride around to visit sights, Central Park, and the museums. With what I have in mind, the Dahon is probably more than adequate, but the ultra small fold of the Bromps appeal to me. Plus, from some of my research of Dahons, I'm a little concerned of Dahon's fold joint loosening over time. Is that a non-factor with the newer Dahons?

Originally Posted by fietsbob
+ the Brompton front wheel folds back over the drivetrain , to make it less likely it will make other people get chain grime on them.
Thats another positive for Bromp, but I'm not a huge fan of their gearing options. Wish Brompton offered more that 6 speeds.
Old 02-16-15, 06:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sell You My Custom Front Derailleur clamp on mount, and braze on FD that mounts on it, and thumb shifter. to put a Double or triple crank on it..

I am OK with my M3L + Mountain drive 2 speed planetary crankset..

Then theres Ben Cooper's Shop in Glasgow Scotland he hand makes a new fork and rear section to put disc Brakes and alfine 11speeds and Rohloff 14 speed hubs in them.

Kinetics ? Recumbents, Folding Bikes, Custom Bicycles | Brompton Disc Brakes
Old 02-16-15, 06:31 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm 5'10", 180lbs and an avid roadie. I usually ride about 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year with lots of climbing. My budget is prob around $1500. I was under the impression that Bromps weren't as stiff and sturdy as the newer Dahons and Terns, primarily because of their folding joints. Good to get that straight as i value a stiff precise ride.
We are a close match. I am also 5'10", a bit less than 180lbs, and also a keen climber. Based on those, I would say that the limited gearing will be zero problems to you. I rode my S2-speed Brommie up to Glacier point in Yosemite,
https://app.strava.com/activities/200092842/overview

I had to do lots and lots of climbing out of the saddle (and refuse lots of offers for a lift, crazy fool!) but it presented no problem at all. (I didn't quite reach the Point before my wife caught up in the car and and the weather turned freezing with me only wearing a thin shirt, so I bailed).

That Dahon looks like it is based on the Vitesse frame. These do have a not inconsiderable amount of flex. The S2 Brommie also flexes but less so.

I doubt that the gearing will be much of a problem. Sure you can't spin at optimum cadence but you're not doing road rides anyway.

Plus there is something uniquely satisfying in overtaking a roadie on a Brommie up some long climb. (Few realise it's the engine not the wheels.)
Old 02-17-15, 12:39 PM
dadbar

Bikes: Firefly Ti, Trek Domane AL5, Montague MX, Dahon Formula S18

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Formula S18 and use it a fair amount for commuting on the train here in the Boston area. Much of the time, I don't bother folding it because the double decker commuter rail trains have bike racks.

The only flex I find is in the stem but if you keep it tight it is not a problem. I keep a narrow profile 8mm box wrench with me for a quick tighten every now and then. This bike is such a pleasure to ride.
Old 02-17-15, 01:16 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I've taken the Newark to NYC train a few times.
It gets very crowded; get the Brompton.
Old 02-17-15, 01:20 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

And yeah; you can pass roadies on a Brompton up steep hills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYH...aIoDLA&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmFU...aIoDLA&index=8

Last edited by 1nterceptor; 02-17-15 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added another video
Old 02-25-15, 06:46 PM
Ride-Fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok folks, time for an update. I've decided to get a Brompton....and so will my wife. I sold her on the idea of weekend "city touring" places like Chicago, SF, Boston, and of course NYC. When we move back to the U.S., we will take the Brompton on flights as carry-on luggage and take only a small backpack with a change of clothes and essentials. We'll be getting a bag like this to put the bikes in the overhead compartment of planes. BENHEIL-WELCOME

we are both going to get M6Ls (fenders without racks) and upgraded with Schwalb Marathon tires, shimano dyno hubs, Brooks B17 saddles, and Ortlieb mini-o bags.

Now ow the only remaining question is color. I like the raw lacquer but at €172 up charge I don't know if I like it that much to pay the extra. I like the black, British Racing Green, and Orange for stock colors. For custom I like the Turkish green (Celeste-like) and Navy blue. My wife like the BRG but also likes the raw lacquer too. Decisions decisions! Btw, I have to decide by Saturday because the shop I'm buying it from has a 5% sale on Bromptons that ends at the end of February!
Old 02-25-15, 07:49 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok folks, time for an update. I've decided to get a Brompton....and so will my wife. I sold her on the idea of weekend "city touring" places like Chicago, SF, Boston, and of course NYC. When we move back to the U.S., we will take the Brompton on flights as carry-on luggage and take only a small backpack with a change of clothes and essentials. We'll be getting a bag like this to put the bikes in the overhead compartment of planes. BENHEIL-WELCOME

we are both going to get M6Ls (fenders without racks) and upgraded with Schwalb Marathon tires, shimano dyno hubs, Brooks B17 saddles, and Ortlieb mini-o bags.

Now ow the only remaining question is color. I like the raw lacquer but at €172 up charge I don't know if I like it that much to pay the extra. I like the black, British Racing Green, and Orange for stock colors. For custom I like the Turkish green (Celeste-like) and Navy blue. My wife like the BRG but also likes the raw lacquer too. Decisions decisions! Btw, I have to decide by Saturday because the shop I'm buying it from has a 5% sale on Bromptons that ends at the end of February!
Get the raw lacquer - the small premium is nothing to the pride you'll ultimately have for the bike. Also, if you ever sell it, the raw lacquer's value will hold and sell much better than other Bs.

I regret not buying the raw - it looks great and few people can resist a raw lacquer'd B.
Old 02-25-15, 09:32 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

I like my current British Racing Green:
2013 Brompton DA chainring Ultegra chain by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

But miss the Raw Lacquer I sold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5M...IoDLA&index=24
Old 02-25-15, 10:39 PM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Ok folks, time for an update.
I like the black, British Racing Green, and Orange for stock colors. For custom I like the Turkish green (Celeste-like) and Navy blue. My wife like the BRG but also likes the raw lacquer too. Decisions decisions! Btw, I have to decide by Saturday because the shop I'm buying it from has a 5% sale on Bromptons that ends at the end of February!
I doubt you can get any useful help on Brompton colour decision here. For me it is TG or Bluish ...

Attached Images

Last edited by bike.gang.uk; 02-25-15 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 11:42 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why Turkish Green? What's so special about the colour? I've got a TG Brompton for my wife but it's always felt a little feminine to me.
Old 02-26-15, 12:50 AM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
Why Turkish Green? What's so special about the colour? I've got a TG Brompton for my wife but it's always felt a little feminine to me.
Ha, this is just personal taste, I know even some guys ride pink bromptons. I love the classic looks of raw lacquer too, goes well with black and golden colour scheme. Probably faster too?

This one just built by our friend in Ireland. I bet it will ride fast.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Raw Lacqure.jpg (82.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by bike.gang.uk; 02-26-15 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 03:42 AM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk
Ha, this is just personal taste, I know even some guys ride pink bromptons. I love the classic looks of raw lacquer too, goes well with black and golden colour scheme. Probably faster too?

This one just built by our friend in Ireland. I bet it will ride fast.

I'm not one to judge, given I owned a hot pink iPod Nano years ago.

TG's not a terrible color, just a little bland IMO. There's not many colors that play well with it. I'm now thinking of pairing it with an ivory stem for a more retro look, though TG+white looks good.

The choices were limited given it was the final weeks before Brompton stopped Ti production in 2014. The remaining colors were white and red - both rejected by my wife.
Old 02-26-15, 04:53 PM
Ride-Fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keyven
I'm not one to judge, given I owned a hot pink iPod Nano years ago.

TG's not a terrible color, just a little bland IMO. There's not many colors that play well with it. I'm now thinking of pairing it with an ivory stem for a more retro look, though TG+white looks good.

The choices were limited given it was the final weeks before Brompton stopped Ti production in 2014. The remaining colors were white and red - both rejected by my wife.
is that Turkish Green? I thought (maybe more like hoping) that TG was more like Bianchi Celeste green. Anyhow, it's not my top three colors, maybe 4th. I've reassessed and My current favs are between raw lacquer, all black, or BRG mainframe with white fork, stem, and rear Tri.

My my wife has decided on tempest blue mainframe and either white or ivory peripherals.

Cant wait to get them!
Old 02-26-15, 05:54 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When we move back to the U.S., we will take the Brompton on flights as carry-on luggage
This really isn't a good idea. I know someone's going to take issue with my saying this,but understand that the overhead compartments were never intended for 25lbs bicycles. They were intended for briefcases,handbags,coats,strollers...lighter objects. I wouldn't want to be the person in the aisle seat when the door pops open and the bike falls out.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 02-26-15, 07:03 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I known they are in different spectrum of folders, but that is where I'm leaning at the moment.

Brompton- known quantity. Lasts a long time and has smallest fold. Hand made in UK.

Formula- Avid BB5 discs. 18 speeds. Faster and better handling most likely.

What do you guys think?
The Path train to Newark will accept any folding bike. Newark is idea because it's the first stop and so you should have no trouble boarding. If you were talking about boarding in Journal Square during rush hour, a different story.
Old 02-26-15, 07:14 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
When we move back to the U.S., we will take the Brompton on flights as carry-on luggage.
I would be cautious about taking the Brompton on as carry-on luggage and placed in the overhead compartment. Call your airline first just to be safe. The last thing you want is to be told at the last minute it has to be boxed and miss your flight!
Old 02-26-15, 07:24 PM
keyven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is that Turkish Green? I thought (maybe more like hoping) that TG was more like Bianchi Celeste green. Anyhow, it's not my top three colors, maybe 4th. I've reassessed and My current favs are between raw lacquer, all black, or BRG mainframe with white fork, stem, and rear Tri.

My my wife has decided on tempest blue mainframe and either white or ivory peripherals.

Cant wait to get them!
Ivory looks good for a retro touch... though I think white looks fantastic paired with any color. The contrast just makes the other color pop.

The Brompton Black Edition can be emulated with a little creativity and cash - carbon handlebars + seatpost + black stem/saddle. Reduces weight and looks cool. Sure you might not get the exact look, but IMO it's still good.

Old 02-27-15, 05:33 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
And yeah; you can pass roadies on a Brompton up steep hills:
You can even take advantage of the attachement system in the front to carry a battery, electrify the Brompton, and enjoy the Brompton even more…

Ok folks, time for an update. I've decided to get a Brompton....and so will my wife. I sold her on the idea of weekend "city touring" places like Chicago, SF, Boston, and of course NYC.
Good idea. I often travel by combining a folding bike and public transportation. It's a great way to travel and visit cities.

When we move back to the U.S., we will take the Brompton on flights as carry-on luggage and take only a small backpack with a change of clothes and essentials.
Watch out: Most airlines don't allow bringing a bag the size of the Brompton as carry-on luggage.

An easy and cheap way to fly with the Brompton is to simply ask a Brompton store to give you a couple of the boxes the Bromptons are originally shipped with instead of discarting them. Then, before flying back, either keep the boxes at the hotel, or go to a hardware store and shrink standard carton boxes down to the size of a Brompton.
Old 02-27-15, 06:38 AM
marxmini

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steel is real. :-) go for the brompton.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.