Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No longer commuting with drop bars

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No longer commuting with drop bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 07:08 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I added drop-bar handlebar ends to my last commuter. I'm playing around with butterfly bars on my newest commuter, but find that I miss the option of drop bars on longer rides.
Old 06-09-15, 07:52 AM
realityinabox

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
FWIW, I commute and two of my bikes have drop bars, and on both I fitted interrupter brakes on the uppers. They're like the dual-lever brakes that used to come on 10-speeds, but with interrupters, the linkage is the cable so they can be positioned independently of where the main brake levers are mounted. Drops, flats, trek bars, ape-hangers? Ultimately it comes down to what works for you.
My commuter came with these in-line brakes standard. I used them a lot when I was getting used to the drops, but I find it to be much more stable to ride with my hands on the drops and to use the regular brakes. When I have my hands up on the cross bar, fingers on the inline brakes, I find that my steering is too twitchy.

I love my drops. After getting used to them (and riding with them through the winter), I find them to be very comfortable, and prefer to keep my hands on the drop, rather than the hoods or crossbar. This is my main/only bike, but when I ride other's bikes without drops, it feels weird now.

To each their own!
Old 06-09-15, 08:13 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
An option I like is a cross brakes.
+1

my dedicated commuter is a CX bike with fenders and rack. i LOVE being able to access the brake levers from the drops, the hoods, or the tops. i've found it to be super ideal for commuting, best handlebar and brake combo i've ever found, so freaking versatile. maximum flexibility. also, i put a riser stem on the bike so it's not such an aggressive geometry. it's certainly not an upright ride, but riding on the tops, i'm pretty damn far from an aero tuck.

my winter beast has a flat bar, but that's primarily because it has hydraulic disc brakes, and a flat bar is really the only kind of bar that works for basic hydraulic levers without spending A LOT of money for much fancier hydraulic lever systems that work with drop bars.
Old 06-09-15, 09:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I prefer flat or swept-back bars for short rides and drop bars for longer rides. My cutoff between short and longer is about six miles round trip.

In traffic, I don't want my handlebars to be wide, so I sawed my flat bars short.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-09-15, 09:40 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I personally find bars more reflect the bike I'm using rather than the commute.. my Turbo, I love having those drops there especially when I feel like speed racing in... if I'm running late I pull the Leader off the wall and fly like lightning in my TT position on the pursuit bars, slow poke days I take the city bike with it's fully upright geo and risers... I could go on but there's no need. We all got preferences, run what you like/works for you.
Old 06-09-15, 09:50 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I switched from a flat bar to drop bar a little more than 5 years ago. Forgive me because I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 06-09-15, 09:56 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like riding on the top/flat part of my drop bars when cycling with the little one and going at a recreational pace around town, < 10 mph i suppose.

but on the 10 mile round trip commute (roughly 5 each way) i like the versatility drops give me and also the more aero position for a fast pace during sections of just cyclists (no peds, motorists) on the manhattan bridge and for riding into wind. that said, i don't do it often, but am glad i have it when i use it.

i had brake levers on the flat part of my drop bar when i had the road bike, and i'm still waiting to get them installed on my cross bike (LBS is slammed these days). it's about $30 to get them and to get them installed which i like. getting a new bar perhaps costs less but to me, it's worth it.
Old 06-09-15, 10:15 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched my commuting bike from drop to flat a while ago. I didn't like the lack of hand positions (I do about a 20km commute).

I switched up for trekker bars (also called butterfly bars?). They're great. And fun. I also commute on a 10-year old Giant touring bike with drops that I love though.
Old 06-09-15, 10:20 AM
beerRun
still a newb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike's got bullhorns. I like them well enough (they are great out of the saddle like @hardboiled718 said).

All of the bikes I'm considering for the first bike I actually buy have drops though.
Old 06-09-15, 10:22 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
How long do you have to ride before feeling the need for multiple hand positions?
With drops it happens rather quickly, and I need to change positions fairly often. Inversely, the traditional Dutch bars on my gazelle are always comfortable and never call for more hand positions, with the bonus that the shifter and brakes are always at hand.
Old 06-09-15, 10:22 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Originally Posted by beerRun
My bike's got bullhorns. I like them well enough (they are great out of the saddle like @hardboiled718 said).

All of the bikes I'm considering for the first bike I actually buy have drops though.
Are you talking about your Tequesta? And if so stock bars? And if so.. those aren't really bullhorns, they're way way way way better.
Old 06-09-15, 10:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I have one commuter set up with flat bars and another with drop bars. I tend to use the one with drop bars most of the time but use the one with flat bars when there is a lot of snow and ice out there. Other than that, I find the 2 bikes fairly interchangeable for a shortish commute (say less than 5 miles or so).
Old 06-09-15, 10:24 AM
beerRun
still a newb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Are you talking about your Tequesta? And if so stock bars? And if so.. those aren't really bullhorns, they're way way way way better.
They are stock and are pretty unique. Do they even have a name?
Old 06-09-15, 10:30 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by beerRun
They are stock and are pretty unique. Do they even have a name?
Scott AT-2's if you've got the same as on my Tequesta. Like this, correct?

There's also AT-3's which come in more at the ends, AT-4's which connect fully (with a bridge), there's even some road bike versions.. I have a pair of scott drop ins.. very awesome drop bars, they have a second set of flats on the bottom of the hooks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
scott2.jpg (2.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 06-09-15, 10:37 AM
beerRun
still a newb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scott AT-2's if you've got the same as on my Tequesta. Like this, correct?
Those are they!
Old 06-09-15, 10:49 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I loved my Masi fixed gear commuter with dropped bars. When it got stolen the only new bikes I liked were all flat bars so I looked at swapping... bars and brake levers...

so I said "screw it", and ordered the bike as it came standard and now I really like the position.

Old 06-09-15, 10:53 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by DiabloScott

That's a nicely appointed cockpit there neighbor.

Last edited by RaleighSport; 06-09-15 at 01:06 PM. Reason: pre coffee grammar
Old 06-09-15, 11:27 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Isn't a Huffy supposed to have flat bars?
Old 06-09-15, 11:37 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts

That's a nice appointed cockpit there neighbor.
One 550 and one 750... I was fed up with cheap light sets. Not shown is my Contour camera mount... on my other bike at the time but fits next to the stem on the opposite side of the computer. That's another advantage of these bars, lots of real estate for doo-dads.
Old 06-09-15, 11:44 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saw this thread and immediately though of this sticker:

Attached Images
Old 06-09-15, 12:32 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
About 8 months ago I built up a Torpado frame I found on Craigslist for $50. It has been a full-on road bike until yesterday when I outfitted it with trekking bars and microSHIFT 9sp twist shifters.

It's been a bike that I tend to commute or run errands on, so the drop bars were not best for the traffic I ride in. I'm really liking this configuration so far.

Attached Images
DSC_0182.jpg (100.8 KB, 166 views)
DSC_0183.jpg (99.3 KB, 173 views)
Old 06-09-15, 01:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ergon Grips Help a Lot. w or w/o Integrated Bar Ends.

My other favorite set up is figure 8 bend trekking bars..
Old 06-09-15, 01:30 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Ergon Grips Help a Lot. w or w/o Integrated Bar Ends.
yes! ergons for flat bars are must in my opinion. i have 'em on both my dahon folder and my winter beast.

Old 06-09-15, 03:53 PM
Dan515

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that if you have a dedicated commuter bike that is mainly used in stop-go city traffic (or even MUPs) then drop bars won't be the greatest or most necessary. Often when I commute, I see other cyclists who are using North Road-style bars and I get envious at how suave they look.

However, if I go for longer weekend rides with fewer interruptions, I find the drops are helpful to vary hand positions and get out of the wind. Plus, I can tell I'm much faster.

I only have one bike, so drops for me. Compact drops, that is. If I were to get a dedicated commuter, definitely something more upright.
Old 06-09-15, 05:02 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I prefer flat or swept-back bars for short rides and drop bars for longer rides.
I was considering some "cruiser" style bars for total comfort. Like I said, my commute is only 5 miles and I take my time. As much as I like my drop bars, I needed to change this particular bike for the environment. On the weekends, I'll jump on the other Huffy and enjoy the drops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.