Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No longer commuting with drop bars

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No longer commuting with drop bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 07:57 AM
doughnut
poseur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yeah that's right, and we end up with a bunch of people arguing about computer software and IT operating systems. I would much rather prefer to have a flame war about cycling specific stuff.
we can bring it back around

i am pretty sure aero bar users are lizard people
Old 06-15-15, 12:07 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Heh. I'm posting using a $150 chromebook running chromeos and ubuntu mate (crouton chroot).
I'm currently reading this thread using a desktop computer that I'm told has an evil operating system, and I'm using the web browser, which comes to life when I press an icon on the toolbar.

The computer runs because of something called *software", which is a magical dust that the IT department sprinkles onto our computers at night when we're asleep.

I like bikes with drop bars much more than bikes without drop bars. Unless I'm riding in the woods or on dirt, then my bike has a basically flat bar. Is my answer okay?
Old 06-15-15, 12:38 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by downwinded
Has anyone replaced flat bars with something like the Soma Sparrow? For relaxed rides, it seems those might be more comfy. There would be an Android phone in the trunk bag.
Rode this for a while and liked the position a lot:

This same bike started life as a flat bar 1x9 urban bike. Got switched out to a 2x10 drop bar bike. Ended up like this. Before becoming a 3x10 flat bar mtn bike and being sold off.

I built a custom commuter with Nitto Noodle drop bars, bar end shifters. Tried switching to flat bars, flat bar road shifters just to check it out, but the top tube was way too short to make the reach work, even with a much longer stem. Back to compact drop bar and integrated brake/shifters, which are working out very well for me.

flat bars need to have a lot of angle to them in order for them to be comfortable to me. Much prefer something like a mustache bar. I bet I would love the Jones bars...
Old 06-15-15, 01:40 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'm currently reading this thread using a desktop computer that I'm told has an evil operating system, and I'm using the web browser, which comes to life when I press an icon on the toolbar.

The computer runs because of something called *software", which is a magical dust that the IT department sprinkles onto our computers at night when we're asleep.

I like bikes with drop bars much more than bikes without drop bars. Unless I'm riding in the woods or on dirt, then my bike has a basically flat bar. Is my answer okay?
Yes, your answer is OK because you have the facts correct about how computers actually work, and you state your bar choice as a personal preference rather than a fact.
Old 06-15-15, 03:24 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL where has this thread gone.

OP is there a report on how you like the no-drop-bar choice?
Old 06-15-15, 04:19 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
[QUOTE=vatdim;17893956]About 10 years ago it was practically non-existent. It started with a few wider sidewalks in the city center getting painted over and dubbed "bike paths". Just for example, you can look at these pics here for some of the most prolific cases. Most of these have already been abandoned by the town council.[QUOTE]

Those are bad!! I hope nobody here sees them and gets any ideas for here!
Old 06-15-15, 04:21 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx

This same bike started life as a flat bar 1x9 urban bike. Got switched out to a 2x10 drop bar bike. Ended up like this. Before becoming a 3x10 flat bar mtn bike and being sold off.

I built a custom commuter with Nitto Noodle drop bars, bar end shifters. Tried switching to flat bars, flat bar road shifters just to check it out, but the top tube was way too short to make the reach work, even with a much longer stem. Back to compact drop bar and integrated brake/shifters, which are working out very well for me.

flat bars need to have a lot of angle to them in order for them to be comfortable to me. Much prefer something like a mustache bar. I bet I would love the Jones bars...
The handlebars are one of the few original pieces on my MTB, and I keep wondering what I would get if I changed them. Sometimes it's trecking bars, other times it's something like this.
Old 06-15-15, 05:16 PM
Dan515

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow. That's a Frankenbike if I ever saw one!
Old 06-15-15, 09:03 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
and you state your bar choice as a personal preference rather than a fact.
and once again kickstart is advocating for TEOOTCFAWKI (the end of the commuting forum as we know it).
Old 06-16-15, 04:21 AM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember you posting pic of this bike. It looks cool but, the bars are too low for me. The hand position however is pretty close to what I am thinking about.

This weekend, on our way to the farmers market, we rode briefly with a young couple on a two week fully loaded tour. The guy had what I think was a fubar on his bike. Made me think that position is probably comfortable for extended periods of time.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Sparrow in 520mm. Waiting (im)patiently for delivery.

OP, glad you had some options and if your situation changes, I'm sure you will be able to find something else that works for you. Just be careful posting about it...
Old 06-16-15, 07:36 AM
Agent Cooper

Bikes: '04 Cannondale T800, '00 Raleigh M80

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I commute on drop bars.

Do what works for you. Everybody's different. *non-committal shrug*
Old 06-16-15, 11:30 AM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Years back, I commuted and rode everywhere (including MTB trails) on a 29er w/ drops. Never had a problem in traffic. And that's in a overcrowded+city=a gang of drivers.

I'm currently building up a 90's TREK MTB w/ drops for a touring conversion. I'll also use this for commuting and everything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3239.jpg (99.0 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by mijome07; 06-16-15 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-16-15, 05:59 PM
Dan515

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just commuted on my fiancee's dutch-style bike in 30*C weather. I thought "It's a beautiful day. Maybe I should try her bike to have a more leisurely commute." The 16km route has rolling hills, and with the heat, the upright position, and weight of the bike, I was miserable. I was wishing I had my CX bike to move faster, or at least something lighter to offset the draggy feel of the bike. I almost feel that that sort of really upright position is only really appropriate for flatter and/or shorter commutes. Feels very inefficient and unnecessarily slow. The engine isn't super fit, but I can manage some of the same hills on the commute with a higher gear than I was spinning on her bike.

Nice to have 1.75" tires and a suspension post vs my usual 25mm Armadillo tires though!
Old 06-16-15, 06:18 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan515
Just commuted on my fiancee's dutch-style bike in 30*C weather. I thought "It's a beautiful day. Maybe I should try her bike to have a more leisurely commute." The 16km route has rolling hills, and with the heat, the upright position, and weight of the bike, I was miserable. I was wishing I had my CX bike to move faster, or at least something lighter to offset the draggy feel of the bike. I almost feel that that sort of really upright position is only really appropriate for flatter and/or shorter commutes. Feels very inefficient and unnecessarily slow. The engine isn't super fit, but I can manage some of the same hills on the commute with a higher gear than I was spinning on her bike.

Nice to have 1.75" tires and a suspension post vs my usual 25mm Armadillo tires though!
I know exactly what you mean! I wished, too, that I could ride more leisurely on my commute, but something about being out at that time of the day, whether it's morning or late afternoon, that makes me want to not be out. It's certainly not like riding with my kids on a Sunday afternoon.

I used to commute on flat-bar/hybrid type bikes. But now I am exclusively on drop bars. The head wind today was miserable coming home, like a good 30km/h gust. I was on the drops for 90% of the time. It made a HUGE difference. Can't imagine being upright and exposed to the wind on an upright.
Old 07-25-17, 06:43 PM
danorano

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute mostly riding on sidewalks. I do not trust the road, even when there are bike lanes. In this day of texting adds a whole new dimension of danger. I find a flat bar, with bar ends is the perfect combination. I am always upright and able to constantly survey the situation, and can very quickly move my hand back to the grips to brake, or shift which I do a lot navigating between the streets and sidewalks. Flats work very well for making sharp turns which is also required when maneuvering sidewalks, driveways, gutters, etc.
Old 07-26-17, 05:20 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5997 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I know exactly what you mean! I wished, too, that I could ride more leisurely on my commute, but something about being out at that time of the day, whether it's morning or late afternoon, that makes me want to not be out. It's certainly not like riding with my kids on a Sunday afternoon.

I used to commute on flat-bar/hybrid type bikes. But now I am exclusively on drop bars. The head wind today was miserable coming home, like a good 30km/h gust. I was on the drops for 90% of the time. It made a HUGE difference. Can't imagine being upright and exposed to the wind on an upright.
I think it's mainly about speed, up to 13 mph air isn't that hard to push aside but when you want to go faster, it's not a leisurely ride anymore. Head wind has about the same effect, so the speed has to come down further to keep it relaxed. But I ride an upright 3-speed in a very windy area and I don't sweat while cycling, but I hardly get out of 3rd gear.
Old 07-29-17, 08:59 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Prefer flat bars for utility cycling for several reasons. I cut mine narrow, so no problems when filtering. They are more convenient when riding with just one hand and carrying something in the other. Less problems of the bike getting entangled with others when parked at a crowded bike parking.

As for the commute itself, I do like drop bars more. I can stay on the tops if I want to sit more upright and look over the cars around me.