Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New to bike commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New to bike commuting

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 01:03 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
Lighten up. It was a joke, meant to let the original poster know that making a fool of him/herself should be the last thing on the list of concerns. I am a tall folding bike rider, well over six feet tall, riding a little bike with tiny wheels. I look funny. I'm fine with that.
I'll lighten up when your jokes are funny. I wouldn't think you would look funny on a folder at all, nor is a spandexed commuter funny, nor is a shirtless rider funny. Nor does a new commuter look like a fool. Stop propagating these ideas.
Old 04-01-21, 05:26 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
The more you ride the more successful you will be. You will adapt and know what to wear, it's trial and error.
Old 04-01-21, 07:38 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Bicycle commuting has a bunch of benefits and very few downsides.

Benefits include:

Cost savings. Unless you're really into expensive gear, which is fine, but it kind of negates the cost savings. But see my final point below. For me, I stopped buying a New York City monthly Metrocard, at $130 per month, and started commuting every day it isn't raining at a monsoon level on a bike I bought for $100. I'm way ahead, even with the occasional new tire, seat or other part.

Fitness. It's great exercise. Great for the cardiovascular system. Great for muscles. Great for general flexibility (hey, I'm over 60 -- that's a big concern).

Mental health. Obviously everyone's experience is different, but for me, it really improves my outlook on the day, and on life in general.

Environmental benefits. There's a lot of variance here, of course. For me, I'm biking rather than riding the subway, and the subway is running whether I'm on it or not, so the environmental situation is a wash. No difference. But if you're biking rather than driving, there's a benefit.

Downsides:

Safety. In my opinion, the most important thing you can do to maximize your safety is to increase visibility. So, lights on, front and rear. Reflectors or reflective tape all over the place. Find the safest route -- if you can find a route that separated from car traffic, that's ideal. Otherwise, a route that has adequate space between you and cars, is well-lit (if you're commuting before or after dark), and has a decent surface.

Weather. You get used to this. Obviously, there will be days on which it's impossible to bike. More or less, and in different ways, depending on where you live. Here in NYC, there are two things that stop me from riding -- snow and ice on the ground, and torrential rain. The temperature has never been a problem here. If you live in, say, Edmonton, that may be a different story.

Other advice -- dress for your ride. Me, I don't make a race out of it, and I commute in the clothes I wear at work, which is "business casual." Once in a while I've gotta wear a suit and tie, and that works fine, too. You don't need bike-specific clothing. Look at cities where bicycle commuting has long been a norm -- Copenhagen, or anywhere in Holland. Not a bit of bike clothing in sight (okay, that's an exaggeration, but only a very, very slight exaggeration).

But wear what you want. And here's why:

The most important benefit of bike commuting is that it's fun. The most important advice I could possibly give you is to keep it fun. Don't turn it into a race, or some kind of monastic self-improvement routine. It's fun. And if fun for you is riding a $3,000 bike and wearing race gear, do it and enjoy it (although that will negate the cost savings, of course). If it's riding a hi-rise bike with streamers on the handlebars, do that. And do not, do not, worry about making a fool out of yourself, no matter what you're riding, at what speed, in what clothes. Because who cares what anyone else thinks? Tone police notwithstanding, approach the project with a sense of humor, and above all, have fun.
Old 04-01-21, 01:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
If you're not prepared for your first flat, you'll find it very annoying. Learn how to fix it, and always carry the gear to do it. Generally, you take the wheel off, remove the tube, remove the tire, inspect the tire carefully, as it may have the puncturing shard of glass still embedded, install your spare tube, put everything back together, and pump the tire up. I carry a patch kit in case I get two flats, but I can't remember the last time I patched a tube on the road. I have several spare tubes and make sure my tool bag has a good tube in it. I toss my punctured tubes into a pile and every so often patch them all at once. This way, my glue doesn't dry out.

I run my headlight and taillight day or night. Maybe it doesn't make me safer, and maybe it does, but it doesn't increase risk. Be sure your headlight is not pointed so high that it goes into people's eyes.

Learn what clothes work for each range of temperatures. You may need different clothes than you would need while walking. I need less on my trunk but more on my hands and neck.

You'll be surprised at how you can toughen up to inclement weather with a little practice. But if you find some days too unpleasant, that's fine, too. Not many people really are forced to ride a bike when they would rather not. When the surface is too slippery or when it's too cold and windy, I don't ride.

I keep a complete set of clothes at work in case I get drenched on the way in. I have to use them about twice a year.

@Inisfallen's advice is excellent.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-21, 12:52 AM
reoc01

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone agree that road bike in the most efficient type of bike fo commute?
Old 04-03-21, 03:45 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Chum in the water

Originally Posted by reoc01
“Most efficient” is the one that works for you.

My primary commuter was a flat bar aluminum hybrid for about 12 years. When the frame cracked near the bottom bracket I replaced it with a steel touring bike. I have a no-suspension mountain bike as backup.

Flat bar works better for me when on rough trails and in vegetation, and around people in a denser urban setting. Most of my commute is straight long runs now and the drop bars offer a position with less wind resistance.

There are so many different environments and bikes that a generalization is not wise.

I will go out on a limb and suggest, without actually trying it myself, that unicycles are a bad choice for commuting.
​​​​​
Old 04-03-21, 10:24 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It depends where you ride. Does not work that well off road.
Old 05-12-21, 01:27 PM
pisuicas

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yes if its a sunny day on paved roads
Old 07-28-21, 11:22 PM
Kingpoo

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My employers have all kept paper towels and soap stocked in the restrooms, so no need to carry wet wipes. I'd keep emergency clothes etc at work and not on my bike if possible. Then just make sure the bike is set up to be comfortable as possible, since you'll likely be spending much more time on it
Old 07-29-21, 07:38 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Bicycle commuting is 75% preparation and logistical considerations, 15% equipment, and 10% actual riding to and fro.

Prep and Logists:
- where will I keep my bike at work?
- how must I secure the bike?
- what [seasonal] weather will I be riding through tomorrow morning, and tomorrow evening?
- what riding clothing corresponds to making the ride comfortable (morning, then evening)?
- how "cleaned up" must I be to perform my job? how will I accomplish that? what do I need to pre-position at work to help in this (can include work shoes, clothing, showering kit, shaving kit, etc.)?
- how much gear do I need to carry back and forth daily on the bike (e.g., lunch, change of clothes, pump/patch kit/ spare tube/levers)
- will I be riding before dawn or after dusk? what lighting will I need, and how frequently will I charge batteries?
- how do I organize (the night before and upon return) to make my mornings most efficient to get out of the house on time?

Gear:
- what do I currently own that can take care of the above list?
- what am I missing? what do I need first, and what can wait until the season(s) change?
- is my bike ready to go? have I serviced the brakes and gearing for reliable performance? Are my tires good?

Riding:
- have I ridden the route on an off-day to go over the length of ride, the safest ways to go, the dangerous intersections that need caution?
- have I pre-positioned (at work) what I'll need on my first commute in?

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 07-29-21 at 07:42 AM.