Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Postal Scam - Be Careful..!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Postal Scam - Be Careful..!

Old 04-08-21, 03:09 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
Ok, it was an arrow in the dark on the scammer's end then.

Ignore the suspicious emails, check directly with the shipping source by typing in the direct link, and you should be able to avoid and debunk most of these.

Also, crappy capitalization (as seen in Randy's scam email) should be enough of a tipoff that something isn't right.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-08-21 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 06:42 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I always go directly to the appropriate website to confirm anything. Which is why it's so annoying that so many organizations still expect us to click on buttons directly from emails, rather than navigating to our accounts on the websites. It tends to lull us into carelessness. I tend to trust only the organizations that notify me of something that needs my attention, but don't provide any direct link.
What kills me is that so many business these days have gone to farming out things like their customer-service surveys, advertising, etc. Sorry, but if I get an email purporting to be from Macy's or whoever, but the sender isn't Macy's, then I'm not clicking on the link. These things are probably legitimate, but they shoot themselves in the foot by contracting out to someone else, in a world where people are taught to not click on links that aren't from who they say are they are...

Originally Posted by nlerner
Seems like a lot of effort for $2.99.
Nah, not really. You set up a Paypal account (10 minutes), write out a crappy email (5 minutes), and send it out to a bunch of probably-randomly-generated email addresses. A certain percentage will fall for it. If, say, 5 of the 100 you sent it to sent you money, you've just made roughly $15 for 15 minutes of work. If just 15 fall for it, you've essentially just made a salary of $180/hr. Etc.

Originally Posted by Pompiere
Where I work, we have to take annual cyber security training. We don't give it much thought until an email arrives stating the training is due. The training is done through a contractor instead of our own in-house training department.
The training includes red flags to spot phishing email like:
Comes from an organization you are not familiar with. Check.
Includes a link in the email to take you directly to the site. Check
Includes a sense of urgency or that something bad will happen if you don't respond. Double Check.
Every year we wonder if it a trap until someone tries the link to see if it is legit.
HA, yes. I've had that. We get the email from headquarters: This is cybersecurity awareness month. Click to see the flyer/training. (In one case, it was literally that the "this is cybersecurity awareness month" type phrase was the subject line, and the body of the email was only "Click here" as a link.) I'm sure they're not actually trying to set up a phishing exercise, but I'm still not clicking and they should have thought it through.
Old 04-08-21, 08:23 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Seems like a lot of effort for $2.99.
I'm sensing sticky potential in 50+.

And, since 50 is the new 40, shouldn't 50+ now be 60+?
Old 04-09-21, 04:36 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,618 Times in 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I'm sensing sticky potential in 50+.

And, since 50 is the new 40, shouldn't 50+ now be 60+?
Yeah, I got a link to sign up for that one. I did think it was odd that they wanted last four digits of my social and mother’s maiden name, but the nice man from Nigeria said it was legit.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-10-21, 05:42 AM
nlerner

Got this text yesterday. I was quite convinced it was legit, but that style of font led to some doubt:

Old 04-10-21, 07:33 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
Great example, Neal. Easy enough to verify by ignoring the text and going straight to Amazon.com via a browser to check if that's the case.

The "myamzlinks" should be another tipoff. It's so painfully poorly done and screams "PHISHING!" so hard.

-Kurt

Old 04-14-21, 04:48 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Yeah, I got a link to sign up for that one. I did think it was odd that they wanted last four digits of my social and mother’s maiden name, but the nice man from Nigeria said it was legit.
I hope you didn't fall for that!
Everyone knows it's only the Nigerian princes that you can trust.
Old 04-14-21, 05:09 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by Kat12
Everyone knows it's only the Nigerian princes that you can trust.
Quite a few years back, I worked with a student from Nigeria whose name was Prince. He was a good kid.

As far as that request, I’m typing this on a display laptop at Costco now that my bank account has been drained. I’ve learned my lesson!
Old 04-15-21, 12:55 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
The tracking number, issued by Canada Post, shows the package as "note left" for delivery. That usually means that the package has arrived and a note left in my PO box. Usually, all that means is go, hand in the Canada Post note, pay whatever duties apply, and get the package. However...

I went to get the package, yesterday and no package. The Canada Post clerk, who I know, checked in the back and informed me that there was nothing there for me. Now, I guess that it is time to contact the seller, and Canada Post, to see what is going on. If that produces no positive result, I will file a claim with Ebay, even though I hate doing so.

I am a bit worried about this and my faith in buying on-line is not all that great, anymore.

I have to go to the city again, tomorrow, and will check again.