Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Anything allows to ride through Google Streetview?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 08-25-20, 01:03 PM
Synmag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have decided to get an indoor trainer as I keep fluctuating by 20-30lbs each winter and spend the summer losing it. I ride alone strictly for fitness and I like the idea of a smart trainer and the distraction of watching a virtual world go by.

Reading through one of the software reviews I saw that at least one allows using Google maps to select your route. Wouldn't it make sense to just simply ride through Google Streetview? Either have a third party app provide the elevation change to feed the resistance or Google could do it themselves easy enough with their resources.

I'm not interested in races, group rides, monitoring power etc. etc..

It would be great to do this without a monthly subscription. Perhaps Racx's TTS would be best? I know people complain about paying for routes/videos but if u can buy a few for a finite cost that would be great.

I really wouldn't want to pay more than $10 for a subscription if that ends up being the only choice.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-20, 01:18 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Synmag
I have decided to get an indoor trainer as I keep fluctuating by 20-30lbs each winter and spend the summer losing it. I ride alone strictly for fitness and I like the idea of a smart trainer and the distraction of watching a virtual world go by.

Reading through one of the software reviews I saw that at least one allows using Google maps to select your route. Wouldn't it make sense to just simply ride through Google Streetview? Either have a third party app provide the elevation change to feed the resistance or Google could do it themselves easy enough with their resources.

It would be great to do this without a monthly subscription. Perhaps Racx's TTS would be best? I know people complain about paying for routes/videos but if u can buy a few for a finite cost that would be great.

I really wouldn't want to pay more than $10 for a subscription if that ends up being the only choice.

Any suggestions?
This does not seem practicable to me. i've looked at street view a few times and it is dog slow. maybe if all the images were downloaded prior to riding but that would really eat up a lot of space to make it smooth flowing. neat idea though.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-25-20, 02:57 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
You can apparently do this with Golden Cheetah, but like its many other features, figuring out how to use it is a challenge. I've never done it myself.
Old 08-25-20, 04:53 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Never heard of it, thanks for pointing it out!

Originally Posted by surak
You can apparently do this with Golden Cheetah, but like its many other features, figuring out how to use it is a challenge. I've never done it myself.
I see it listed on it's ride indoor feature list. I will definitely investigate. Thanks!
Old 08-25-20, 05:01 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Take a look at FulGaz.
It is rides all over the world filmed in 4K. I ride them using my indoor bike.
At $109/year it is less than the $10/month you mention.
That is assuming you meant $10/month.

They offer a 30day trial in full 4K rez, and some low rez rides you can just "take a look at"

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-25-20, 06:21 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Take a look at FulGaz.
It is rides all over the world filmed in 4K. I ride them using my indoor bike.
At $109/year it is less than the $10/month you mention.
That is assuming you meant $10/month.

They offer a 30day trial in full 4K rez, and some low rez rides you can just "take a look at"

Barry
Sounds good. Can it control a smart trainer and does it use it's speed to drive the video or is it just a passive view and your pedal along?
Old 08-25-20, 06:26 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

FulGaz

Sounds good. Can it control a smart trainer and does it use it's speed to drive the video or is it just a passive view and your pedal along?
With a smart trainer, your power output controls the speed at which you move through the video.
Or
You can choose to move through the video at the speed it was filmed, regardless of your pedaling or not.

It also offers Structured Interval training using the movies as a backdrop. I’m working this way currently.

Barry
Old 08-25-20, 08:12 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Or
You can choose to move through the video at the speed it was filmed, regardless of your pedaling or not.

It also offers Structured Interval training using the movies as a backdrop. I’m working this way currently.

Barry
These sounds pretty intuitive actually. Without a smart trainer one could up the effort to match uphill movement and ease off on descents or flat sections.

I have my eye on aTacx Galaxia for a good price second hand. May not need a smart device after all.

The interval training matches what I usually do outdoors.

I will take advantage of all the free trials. That should get me through the first winter almost.
Old 08-25-20, 08:51 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

These sounds pretty intuitive actually. Without a smart trainer one could up the effort to match uphill movement and ease off on descents or flat sections.

I have my eye on aTacx Galaxia for a good price second hand. May not need a smart device after all.

The interval training matches what I usually do outdoors.

I will take advantage of all the free trials. That should get me through the first winter almost.
Find yourself a used single sided power meter pedal, and a non-smart trainer is all you need.
Best if it does bluetooth and not just Ant+

Barry
Old 08-26-20, 01:54 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
It should be do-able. Our Nordictrack incline trainer has this feature. It's pretty cool because you can design a route on google maps and then go running anywhere you want. I've used it to jog through neighborhoods in cities I used to live in, etc. It's not video (obviously). It's just a sequence of still frames, but it syncs to the speed your running at, so it's pretty realistic. They also offer full video runs in beautiful locations, but it doesn't sync to your speed, and you can't control the route. Somebody should definitely do this for indoor biking. I actually sent an email to Peloton requesting the feature.
Old 08-27-20, 08:27 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Success! I'm a lucky owner of gently used Tacx Galaxia. I can't wait to set it up in a safe place and learn to ride it! Having said that, I doubt I will have the focus to maintain regular ride schedule in the winter to continue my 4-6 times a week 1-3 hour ride structure on it.

The more I look at smart trainers the more I come to the conclusion that a mid level direct drive unit will be the best solution for me. I really don't want to waste money on a fluid trainer that I could have put towards a direct trainer making it even more expensive along the way.

There are big discounts on older well regarded high end units and I also like the value the Elite Suito provides if it will be back in stock before it's replaced by another model.

In the meantime, on to learning the roller and I will look into getting a power meter for my bike to get started with online apps. The goal is to have something established before November.
Old 08-27-20, 08:37 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
It should be do-able. Our Nordictrack incline trainer has this feature. It's pretty cool because you can design a route on google maps and then go running anywhere you want. I've used it to jog through neighborhoods in cities I used to live in, etc. It's not video (obviously). It's just a sequence of still frames, but it syncs to the speed your running at, so it's pretty realistic. They also offer full video runs in beautiful locations, but it doesn't sync to your speed, and you can't control the route. Somebody should definitely do this for indoor biking. I actually sent an email to Peloton requesting the feature.
Absolutely. The way streetview let's me click through and move down the street, I'm sure it can be automated and linked to a bike. It would be sufficient to keep my mind off the fact that I'm riding a bike at the same time.

I have access to a stationary bike in our gym but I can't last more than 20-25 minutes on it before being bored out of my mind.
Old 09-03-20, 03:28 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have been reading some roller threads...

Find yourself a used single sided power meter pedal, and a non-smart trainer is all you need.
Best if it does bluetooth and not just Ant+

Barry
It looks like the are others who only use a roller for winter training. I'm going to give it a shot before making any investments in other trainers. I managed to ride the roller for a while and I think I can get enough resistance to get a workout to at worst maintain my weight during the off season.

I looked at power meters and since I never used one and don't see the need for one I'm just going to get a speed sensor and maybe a cadence sensor so I can keep track of my distance and take advantage of the online software.
Old 09-16-20, 03:16 PM
TrackSmart

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
You can create Google Streetview routes on Rouvy. Rouvy will simulate the real world terrain/elevation changes (assuming you have a trainer that can adjust the resistance to match). You can almost always find a 30 day trial for Rouvy if you look around. But you might get greater enjoyment by riding one of their virtual routes which have real video.

I've never had any inclination to actually try out the streetview-based routes when I could be riding a smoother-looking route with high resolution video. But that's just me.

I can see how it would be useful for previewing the terrain on a particular route you would like to try.
Old 09-18-20, 07:07 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart
You can create Google Streetview routes on Rouvy. Rouvy will simulate the real world terrain/elevation changes (assuming you have a trainer that can adjust the resistance to match). You can almost always find a 30 day trial for Rouvy if you look around. But you might get greater enjoyment by riding one of their virtual routes which have real video.

I've never had any inclination to actually try out the streetview-based routes when I could be riding a smoother-looking route with high resolution video. But that's just me.

I can see how it would be useful for previewing the terrain on a particular route you would like to try.
I will check it out. I was thinking about it as a free option but I agree with you that is they have a better option like hi-res video, I would prefer that too. With a roller I'm going to be the one controlling the power.
Old 09-23-20, 01:57 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Absolutely. The way streetview let's me click through and move down the street, I'm sure it can be automated and linked to a bike. It would be sufficient to keep my mind off the fact that I'm riding a bike at the same time.
That would be terrible...you would be better off playing a youtube video. YouTube has training videos from a first person perspective riding.

As mentioned before....look at FulGaz if you want real video.
Old 01-13-21, 10:36 AM
alpharalpha

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a a great idea; to be able to ride while seeing streetview would be awesome. But paying a monthly service for it not so much. This is new idea to me so don't have much to add right now, but I use a pc--htpc in living room where I will be cycling--do you use windows, or are looking for android/ios etc? Maybe can find program that will do it. Anyone know of one for pc? In meantime I will do a bit of searching, see what I can find.
Old 01-13-21, 11:37 PM
Synmag

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
That's a a great idea; to be able to ride while seeing streetview would be awesome. But paying a monthly service for it not so much. This is new idea to me so don't have much to add right now, but I use a pc--htpc in living room where I will be cycling--do you use windows, or are looking for android/ios etc? Maybe can find program that will do it. Anyone know of one for pc? In meantime I will do a bit of searching, see what I can find.

I have two older windows 7 laptops one of which I just upgraded to win 10 as Dell has come up with various required upgraded drivers. Some programs need windows 10. I actually have been watching ridealong youtube videos which do the trick of sufficiently engaging me in the ride to lose track of time and last ~2hours. I have totally given up on buying a smart trainer as I don't care about power metrics I'm just interested in distance and heart rate data. I find it perfectly natural to match my effort level to what's on screen i.e. speed up/slow down for up/down hills simply by shifting. I am able to get to my max heart rate on my roller.

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I wanted to try full gaz but I believe it requires a trainer in addition to Win10. I am now exploring Rouvy which looks like it allows only speed/cadence sensors but it requires BT 4 so I'm looking at getting a USB dongle for either BT or ant+. I'm not sure why but it doesn't recognize my H10 hrm even through I can connect it to my laptop where it shows as connected in Win10. I think it needs BT 4 for the low power.

Golden Cheetah has google maps listed someone mentioned it but now that I installed it, it also requires a smart trainer and I can't see how google maps is used.

If you have a trainer you will have more options. I might spring for a BT 4 dongle just to try Rouvy and other apps that allow only speed/cadence sensors.
Old 01-17-21, 07:50 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use both zwift and rouvy, much prefer rouvy. The street view rides that are already available are very realistic, those that are not street level are not as good, you are looking down on the road and see your little avatar moving but its not like you are really there. Have had some issues with the camera stopping, and skipping ahead, you can fix that by downloading the video before you ride but that takes some time. Not as many choices of rides as zwift but much more realistic.
Likes For oujeep1:
Old 01-20-21, 07:08 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I've been using Zwift for several months now. Just started dabbling in Rouvy. After nothing more than the usual connections to my trainer & HR monitor, it brought up a ride that's supposedly right here in my neighborhood as it's first offering. Now that surprised me Of course I HAD to try it, and I couldn't believe my eyes. These are roads I've ridden, and they were recognizable..Amazing!! It goes through a lot of wine country, but once you pass the summit, there are identifiable fields of the Rogue Valley's other cash crop

Oh BTW, it's the"West River"-something route.
Old 01-20-21, 08:48 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
I went with Rouvy specifically because I don't race and just wanted something to allow me to ride some hills and an occasional mountain as I live is very flat Florida. I got my subscription for $10 a month. It's been really nice and my wife also uses it.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-19-21, 04:39 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Updating from my previous post, I have now also tried FulGaz, I am currently on their free trial. The video is higher quality than Rouvy, but it is taken from a bicycle, most of Rouvy is taken from a car, some of the FulGaz videos if there is a lot of side to side camera motion or tilting of the camera it can be distracting. Also I cannot make it work with streaming, maybe thats an issue with my wifi, I'm not sure, so I am downloading the rides several at a time every day and when I want to ride them they are ready, am also downloading rouvy because although it sometimes works well with streaming it does sometimes stick so better to download.
So far on FulGaz I have ridden west maui, complete with "the Wall" for those familiar with west maui, and yesterday Going to the sun road- learned a very important lesson - if you are cycling along and come around a corner and two cars are stopped, you should stop too, the person filming this ride did not, and got an up close and personal view of a bear!
Old 12-26-21, 11:12 PM
lazurm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
RouvyAR no longer supports Google Street View

I used to ride with the original Rouvy program using Street View from uploaded GPX files but, with the new RouvyAR (the AR is for "Augmented Reality) that feature is no longer supported.
Here's what I received from Rouvy Support:

"Unfortunately, the street view is not available in the ROUVY app at the moment. We are sorry about it.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation."

"Have a nice day."

"Best regards,"
"ROUVY Team"

Originally Posted by TrackSmart

Old 01-22-22, 04:59 AM
tobias74

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suggestions?
You might want to check out "drumuri.bike" (I am not allowed to post URLs)
On drumuri.bike you can connect your smart trainer and ride virtually using streetview.

Disclaimer: I am the author of drumuri.bike and it is currently still in its development stage :-)

Howto: Just click on two points on the map and it will display a route. Then click on "Start Workout"

Last edited by tobias74; 01-22-22 at 05:02 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-24-22, 12:00 PM
happytrochoid

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made an account just for the purpose of replying =) This is exactly what I am searching for at the moment - an app where I can create a custom street view route to follow along on my spin bike. I've trialed Fulgaz and Rouvy so far and I'm happy with both of them, but it would be so awesome if I could virtually travel through old neighborhoods and where I used to live throughout the years. I will bookmark your page and see how it works for me. Cheers!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.