Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

One trick pony?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

One trick pony?

Old 10-17-20, 07:45 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
One trick pony?

Went for a trail run this morning with a couple of 40 somethings, one an ultra marathon trail runner and the other from a mountain town, who spends a lot of time on the trails. A little bit short of 9 miles, climbing 1850 ft. in the first 4. They indulged me we some walking sections on the way up, but still, it was truly an "I am old and can't keep up" experience. I had a similarly humbling day in the Spring skinning up a mountain with some young guys.

Funny thing is, biked with the same pair the day before and spent much time waiting at the top of climbs and leading the paceline in 20 mph headwinds. They burned out at 20 miles and I rode 40.

Lifetime runner, 10 year avid biker, but as I've migrated much more to cycling, I just assumed that the strength and aerobic capacity would translate to things I do less often. Apparently not so.
Old 10-17-20, 07:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
You can't coast when you run
Old 10-18-20, 05:31 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Cycling technique can make up for differences in fitness. Running is just running. I can sometimes best younger riders because I know how, when & where to apply power and do it efficiently. But make no mistake, if they had the same skill set, they'd leave me for dead.
Old 10-18-20, 07:09 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,269 Times in 3,457 Posts
I saw something yesterday that gave me some new respect. While we were riding we saw a guy running while pulling a buggy with his young son in it. And he was wearing a weight vest. After the ride, he was packing his car next to ours. Said he ran 15 miles. Didn’t even look tired.
Old 10-18-20, 08:04 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
You use different muscles/muscle groups to run vs bicycling. Conditioning muscles by participating in one activity doesn't translate to the other. But both can give you the same aerobic benefits to you body's systems.
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-18-20, 08:52 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Cycling technique can make up for differences in fitness. Running is just running. I can sometimes best younger riders because I know how, when & where to apply power and do it efficiently. But make no mistake, if they had the same skill set, they'd leave me for dead.
I ride at times with my 30 year old son. He's been a triathlete since 15 and has way more saddle time than I do since when he was competitive, he's train 5 times a week doing over 250 miles per.

Yes, I see many young and older riders that don't know how to use gears at all let alone to their advantage. But it's hard to compete with someone half your age if they have a clue how to ride.

But then again I do take joy on group rides when i'm the oldest and the strongest. Maybe I should stop riding the "C" groups (j/k)
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-26-20, 11:59 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I am blessed by being devoid of any natural athletic ability. I am in very good cardiovascular shape and physically fit, and that is what really counts. I compete only against myself. My wife started taking ballet lessons at age 18 (1968), about the same time I met her, and I keep telling her not to compare herself now to the 20-somethings in the class. We all do what we can.

Keep up your current exercise routine -- you are doing great!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 10-26-20, 12:01 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
Went for a trail run this morning with a couple of 40 somethings, one an ultra marathon trail runner and the other from a mountain town, who spends a lot of time on the trails. A little bit short of 9 miles, climbing 1850 ft. in the first 4. They indulged me we some walking sections on the way up, but still, it was truly an "I am old and can't keep up" experience. I had a similarly humbling day in the Spring skinning up a mountain with some young guys.

Funny thing is, biked with the same pair the day before and spent much time waiting at the top of climbs and leading the paceline in 20 mph headwinds. They burned out at 20 miles and I rode 40.

Lifetime runner, 10 year avid biker, but as I've migrated much more to cycling, I just assumed that the strength and aerobic capacity would translate to things I do less often. Apparently not so.
what I'm getting from this is cycling > running
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 11-15-20, 09:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
My finest day as a long distance runner was overtaking a woman on a bicycle during a one mile ascent. Granted she was a “ Sunday cyclist” but never in my dreams I would run past a bike and leave her far behind. At that point I was running 7 minute miles so you can imagine how slow she was.

After too many injuries as a runner, I slowly transitioned to cycling. It took years. I finally gave up running at 64. Until then it was cycle spring and summer and moderately run in fall and winter during the short, cold wetter days.

And yes, cyclists and runners use different muscle groups.

I dont miss running except back when I ran through the forest with my black lab.

Old 11-25-20, 07:57 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I saw something yesterday that gave me some new respect. While we were riding we saw a guy running while pulling a buggy with his young son in it. And he was wearing a weight vest. After the ride, he was packing his car next to ours. Said he ran 15 miles. Didn’t even look tired.
He was either shining you on, or all hepped up on the crank..
Old 11-25-20, 08:18 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by JLDickmon
He was either shining you on, or all hepped up on the crank..
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Well if he wasn't completely full of poop, his knees, back, elbows, and shoulders will be destroyed soon.
Old 11-25-20, 12:32 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
My wife and I hike in the mountains and do strength training, plus I ski Alpine and Nordic. Cycling directly translates to skiing. Hiking makes me stronger on the bike and the tandem makes us stronger hikers. If one were only to do one sport yeah, one would not have fitness for the others, but there is synergism.

And running, working hard, etc., does not damage one. Research and experience say the opposite. "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." The 15 mile guy? Yeah, maybe so. There's a guy, used to come out on my group ride in winter, could outclimb us all while towing his German shepherd and we weren't slow riders. He's outgrown us though, or we've out-aged him. Came in 1st American in RAAM. Starting a backpack trip in the Cascades, we met a couple women that morning, laughing and talking as they descended, just finishing their 75 mile trail run. Folks like that are out there.
Old 11-25-20, 01:32 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Gearing helps.
Old 11-26-20, 10:47 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I can bike all day if I have to. Can't run a half mile to save my life. Different animals.
Likes For Chuckles1: