Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help! Advice for riding in your 40s

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Help! Advice for riding in your 40s

Old 02-27-21, 01:15 PM
lesoudeur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't just cycle, do some strength training (get some dumbbells / resistance bands) and do exercises to maintain / improve flexibility. Ensure that you programme a full rest day / days (and stick to them not just go for a quick ride because the sun is out). Get enough good quality sleep. Push but pace yourself.
Old 03-02-21, 09:35 PM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
One of the best words of advice I have gotten over the years regarding long rides was simple, but great. Never push it on hills. So when I am going to ride a really long ride and knowing the following day I am doing it again, I just remember not to push on any upgrades and just ride smart. Smooth and always with relative ease. You can always push yourself in other situations, but not if you are riding really long all the time.

Hope this helps. I am 55 years old and still love cycling. Hope to be in my 80's or older riding. Time will tell.
Old 03-04-21, 08:18 AM
hugorodrigo23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I'm 40 and I can confirm that the biggest age related change that affect my performance is recovery. I lift weights since I was 20, and that has been my #1 sport until COVID when gyms were forced to close. Years ago I used to train 6 days a week, but that frequency was reduced to 4 days a week since I was about 38. Since COVID I just train at home 3 days a week with very light weights, so my performance in the bike has improved, a little, I recover enough to ride faster on weekends and I´m 5 kgs lighter since I dont lift heavy enough to keep the extra muscle I had. I also managed to sleep better and more, I used to have 6 hours of sleep and now I have 7-8 hours, still not enough sometimes, but that helps a lot with recovery, no coffee after 12 pm and no bright lights in my home after 8 pm.