Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1982 Masi Gran Corsa-Need help to ID Campy Brakes & Pads Source

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 09:37 AM
City Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Greetings all,

I have recently purchased a 1982 Masi Gran Corsa that I plan to ride in Eroica events. Bike is in good condition with all Campagnolo components. First bike with Campy for me. I'm hoping some of the C&V forum members could identify the Campy brake model and a source for replacement pads. The brake pads are rock hard. Also any advice for brake adjustment, can't figure out the cable adjuster on the brake.
Thanks in advance

Old 01-03-21, 09:46 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 148 Posts
With the white o-rings and the visible shape, I’d guess those are Chorus monoplaner brakes. Others more familiar with Campy can correct me.

Koolstop sells an excellent brake pad that works with those:
Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Old 01-03-21, 11:57 AM
City Guy

HI

THANK YOU ! ! ! Just ordered a set of the pads and thanks for identifying the brakes. Next I'll post some pics of front and rear derailleurs for identification. Campy is a whole new world for me.
Likes For City Guy:
Old 01-03-21, 03:56 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Looks like Chorus to me. The feature to look at is the transition from the arm to the mounting pad. They very from one model to the other. Only Chorus has such a pronounced curve in the transition.
P1010556 on Flickr

Brake pads will make a difference! They are really nice looking. Thy also need brake levers that provide the release to open for tire removal. Old Record or Super Record levers don't provide this feature. Ergos and Chorus brake levers do.
Old 01-03-21, 07:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by City Guy
HI

THANK YOU ! ! ! Just ordered a set of the pads and thanks for identifying the brakes. Next I'll post some pics of front and rear derailleurs for identification. Campy is a whole new world for me.
Looks like a great score, we need more pics, good ones and lots of them.

You can't just casually say " I got this Masi " without showing us the full meal deal.
Old 01-03-21, 10:34 PM
City Guy

Ok one pic of the Masi on the workstand while doing some basic maintenance. Cleaned drive chain components, awaiting new KMC replacement chain, Deciding on what bar tape to install, Cinelli cork?, yellow? black? or Benotto plastic yellow?
Maybe a Brooks B17 saddle, and would appreciate advice on period correct saddle.
The current Michelin gum wall tires have plenty of tread, and the tubes hold air Ok, but the rubber seems hard, probably because of age.
Having difficulty finding 700 x 23 gum wall tires. Steel Vintage has Panaracer EVO4 C tires available, maybe Vittoria Corsa G 2.0, but I have not found any other options available. Any recommendations for a 700 x 23 gum wall?
Likes For City Guy: