Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Fan While Riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 09:04 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i'm reading a lot about using a fan to help with sweating. the use of a fan is not going to change that. if you are working hard you will sweat no matter the temperature. the fan is all about cooling, doing the job of evaporating sweat like the wind would do when out on the road. you can sweat all day long but if it does not evaporate you will not cool and you will fatigue much sooner. i am in a garage in the 40s and i still run a fan. i start it on setting 1 and move up from there pretty quickly. if i forget to increase fan speed i am noticeably lethargic.
Old 01-19-21, 06:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts

Old 01-19-21, 02:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,859 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i'm reading a lot about using a fan to help with sweating. the use of a fan is not going to change that. if you are working hard you will sweat no matter the temperature. the fan is all about cooling, doing the job of evaporating sweat like the wind would do when out on the road. you can sweat all day long but if it does not evaporate you will not cool and you will fatigue much sooner. i am in a garage in the 40s and i still run a fan. i start it on setting 1 and move up from there pretty quickly. if i forget to increase fan speed i am noticeably lethargic.
It would be a hell of a fan if it cooled you so well that you didn't sweat! Perhaps if humans were equipped with finned heat sinks........

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-19-21, 02:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
All you folks riding indoor trainers have my respect, because I consider them to be psychological torture mechanisms. But since I live where the winter allows riding in fair weather 40+ degrees on at least three or four days of the week, I ride outdoors only. Still, since you're training, don't you want the added resistance of a stiff headwind? At least on the first part of your route, before you turn and head for home, I mean. A tailwind heading home is good for morale.
I felt largely the same way until I started using the Zwift app with a "smart" trainer. For me, the social aspect of riding is a big factor. On Zwift, I can ride in a virtual world with other real riders in real time. Sometimes I prefer it to riding alone IRL. During the week, the schedule of my job and family mandates that my only time for riding is in the evenings. I'm not a fan of riding in the dark and/or cold, so my indoor setup is very valuable to my fitness routine.
Old 01-19-21, 03:36 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Regarding the importance of the fan to cool the body down and whether it helps to prevent sweating brings up the question, why do I not sweat any where near the same amount riding in real life? Only on the hottest days of the summer do I actually notice I am sweating while riding. Stopping is a different story and that's usually when the sweat starts to pour. Does the wind evaporate it all or does moisture get more absorbed outside then inside ? If so, amazing.
Old 01-19-21, 03:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by gthomson
Regarding the importance of the fan to cool the body down and whether it helps to prevent sweating brings up the question, why do I not sweat any where near the same amount riding in real life? Only on the hottest days of the summer do I actually notice I am sweating while riding. Stopping is a different story and that's usually when the sweat starts to pour. Does the wind evaporate it all or does moisture get more absorbed outside then inside ? If so, amazing.
On hot days out here, it's usually also low humidity. I don't notice sweating but I do notice the accumulation of gritty patches on my skin, like at the temples, for example. And on rides like that I lose 5 or more pounds sometimes, so clearly I was sweating and it was evaporating. My usual Zwift session, with fans, I lose about 2 lbs or more in a 60-90 minute session.

Old 01-19-21, 03:59 PM
spelger

if sweat is evaporated at the same rate as it is produced does that mean you do not sweat? just because you cannot see it does not mean you don't sweat. you sweat the same amount (give or take). on some rides when i weighed myself before and after i have lost over 4 lbs but my clothes and skin both were relatively dry, expect for my bandana under my helmet and cap which is protected from the wind. that is like 1/2 a gallon of water.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-19-21, 04:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It seems pretty clear to me that we sweat, but don't experience sweating, when it's hot and low humidity because it evaporates instantly. Especially when we're riding. spegler knows what I'm talking about.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-19-21, 04:40 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I felt largely the same way until I started using the Zwift app with a "smart" trainer. For me, the social aspect of riding is a big factor. On Zwift, I can ride in a virtual world with other real riders in real time. Sometimes I prefer it to riding alone IRL. During the week, the schedule of my job and family mandates that my only time for riding is in the evenings. I'm not a fan of riding in the dark and/or cold, so my indoor setup is very valuable to my fitness routine.
I actually had to Google Zwift. All I know about modern trainers comes from the Peloton commercials, but it looks like they really fill a need, especially for folks with a lifestyle like yours. So, do you have fans producing suitable windage while you train?
Old 01-19-21, 04:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I actually had to Google Zwift. All I know about modern trainers comes from the Peloton commercials, but it looks like they really fill a need, especially for folks with a lifestyle like yours. So, do you have fans producing suitable windage while you train?
My earlier fan comment about a tailwind was a joke. I use a 22" multi-speed floor fan set to the left and in front of my front wheel, pointed up at my chest and face. It does the job for me.
Old 01-19-21, 05:37 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
The answer is in the article I previously mentioned. Highlights the vast differece in air movement experienced outdoors vs indoors.
Originally Posted by surak
Here's a good article from Zwift Insider on the topic of cooling: https://zwiftinsider.com/how-much-fan/ . I don't overheat when riding outside as long as I stay hydrated and keep moving, so it's clear to me that air movement makes a massive difference.
Likes For surak:
Old 01-20-21, 07:20 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The answer is in the article I previously mentioned. Highlights the vast differece in air movement experienced outdoors vs indoors.
Good article and brings to light the importance of that fan! It still amazes me how much sweat gets wicked off the body when riding outside and how much it doesn't when Zwifting! I have a small turbo fan that I blast in my face and upper body but maybe need to level up. The other strange thing which I know is not good is I don't drink a ton when I'm riding. I know that's bad and I have to remind myself to drink when I'm out on longer rides but it's a struggle for me and not sure why.

During the day, working at my desk I probably drink 2 litres every day.
Old 01-20-21, 11:12 AM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Here on the east coast we sweat almost as much riding outside. I wonder what low humidity feels like. I'm just glad I don't live further south.
Old 01-20-21, 02:08 PM
spelger

here in Reno it fluctuates between 20% and 40%. only my head drips because i wear a ball cap and bandana underneath and not much windage there. the rest of me feels like nothing much. but based on rides i did years ago i would routinely lose about 4lbs due to sweating, not to mention the weight of water i took in.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-26-21, 02:45 PM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Our body's cooling mechanism when hot is to bring blood close to the surface of the skin and let evaporating sweat extract heat.
Problem is that blood is also responsible to bring oxygen to the muscles for power production.

So if we are hot, there is less blood available to go to the muscles and our muscles get less oxygen, which means we can't perform as well.
Now to stay cool it means we must make the sweat evaporate on our skin. A big puddle of sweat on the ground is a bad sign, because if it is not evaporating on the skin it is not cooling us down. That is where the the fans come in.

I started with just the normal fan, that can be seen now at the back on the ground. Then I got the small yellow blower aimed directly at my face. I was still not content, so now I got big brother on the foreground. That might be the only one I need going forward. Especially since I started putting it next to me on the ground pointed straight up at body and face. I can now finally do Sweet Spot and FTP intervals without the puddle of sweat on the ground.

Old 02-26-21, 04:54 PM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
In the days of old I would alter temp and humidity depending on where I was racing, sometimes this would include putting the heating on to the max, buckets of boiling water and restict my ribcage with cling film to reduce my oxygen intake while doing 800w efforts and 600w recovery as a five hr session. These days I have a fan on and the widow behind me open, without a fan I lose about 1.5kg of fluid. A fan helps your body regulate and also doesn't put it under excess stress
Old 03-01-21, 05:39 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I make whichever kid annoyed me the most that day sit by the fan and change the fan speed based on if Im riding uphill, flat road, or downhill
The Kickr Headwind Fan binds to my Kickr Bike and does that automatically. Faster you ride, the harder it blows.
It will also bind with a HR monitor and increase cooling with HR.

But.. it's not an inexpensive solution.

Barry
Old 03-01-21, 06:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander
Here on the east coast we sweat almost as much riding outside. I wonder what low humidity feels like. I'm just glad I don't live further south.
We sweat, but since it evaporates instantly, you don't feel it on your skin and it's easy to underestimate your hydration.
Old 03-01-21, 06:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by caloso
We sweat, but since it evaporates instantly, you don't feel it on your skin and it's easy to underestimate your hydration.
Yeah. Even yesterday, when the average temp for my ride was around 61 degrees, I ended up after 3 1/2 hours with gritty salt deposits on my temples and down the sides of my face. Lost 4#, so that's a bit more than 1#/hour. On the trainer, I average 1# every half hour.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-23-21, 12:32 PM
onecf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a ceiling fan on HIGH and a small oscillator on the floor, also set on HIGH. Temp in the room usually set at 69-71 Fahrenheit.
Old 03-23-21, 04:09 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I use a Dyson Pure Cool TP01. It is pointed right at me in front on a stand only a few feet away. The main advantage of this unit is it has A/C. My guess is the cooling is similar to a window fan, with less of the feeling like you are in a wind tunnel.
Old 03-23-21, 04:40 PM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I hate reading back and seeing that what I wrote came out differently than I intended. The real point I was wanting to make is that I would like to know what it's like to be in a place where sweating is actually functional. With the humidity we have here you sweat but it doesn't evaporate so much, so you're just left soggy. At least it's better when riding a bike than it is with running. I've been in a dryer environment but just briefly and it was "winter" (in Chile).