Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

50 Years Ago: February 1971 in Bicycling! magazine

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-07-21, 10:16 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 983 Posts

Included articles are:

"How Much Ground..." -- a glimpse of the Groundhog Invitational at Lake Harriet, Minnesota.
"the park, the city, and the cyclist" -- bicycling in central park, new york city.
"Ankling" -- examines efficient pedaling technique.

"The Myth of European Product Quality" (Guest Editorial)
"Maintenance: Head Bearings"

"Road Test: The Bottecchia" was posted previously at https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ottecchia.html

As usual, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll add it in a reply to this post or send you a pdf.
If the latter, just send me a PM that includes your email address.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 02-07-21, 11:40 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Neat!
I didn't know that Chuck Harris was writing articles back then. Interesting that his recommendation to drill a stress relief hole at the top of the stem's expander slots echos a very recent discussion here in the C&V forum!
His illustrations are impressive too (most of them).

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 02-07-21, 12:13 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
This February 1971 Bicycling magazine represents the time when Adult Americans started to be interested in bicycling for sport and recreation. I went to teach English in Sapporo Japan in June of 1970. When I left, bicycling was a very niche activity in the US. Hardly anybody after high school did it out of choice (except for college campus bikes). When I came back in the summer of 1971, everything had changed and a big bike boom had started. I was startled by the difference. Everyone knew I was a bike guy and I was inundated with questions. The schwann store near me had a waiting list for its 10 speed models.

I was made aware of this sudden new interest in bicycles while I was in Japan. I read an article titled "American discovers the 10 speed bicycle" in Time or Newsweek magazine in the spring of 1971. What i remember it said was that this new fad had started earlier in Southern California and had now spread throughout the US. The 10 speed bikes I rode in the 60's were seen as novelties. When my cousin and I did a bike tour in Vermont in 1966 (on Schwinn Super Sports) we were viewed as crazy college kids.

The lack of interest in bicycling as an adult activity after WWII is why there were almost no Americans framebuilders in the US until some of us went over the Europe in the 70's to find out how it was done. The Americans that had made bicycle frames in the early part of the century had died or retired.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 02-07-21, 12:39 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
That fork is definitely bent.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 02-07-21, 04:11 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 311 Posts
The article on the myth of European product quality had me chuckling. Mr. Burnett's sense of high dudgeon shone through -- I can see him stomping into his home to write this after flatting, with his head pounding from the toxic bottle's outgassing and the agony of poor quality tires. To the barricades, I say!

I also love the message from the Cupertino Bike Shop -- we're so busy we need to close to the public, so order today!
Likes For JulesCW: