Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Avocet cartridge bearing hub axle and what freewheel is this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 08:31 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

I fished this busted up wheel out of the scrap yard pile. Its an Avocet and the axle is sheared off. Any chance of finding a replacement?

The 6 speed freewheel spins nicely but some of the cogs have broken teeth. Cleaning a bit of dirt off its a suntour. Any idea what kind?

Thanks

Last edited by bark_eater; 04-06-21 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 09:33 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Sorry, don't know.

Had to comment because it's eerie sometimes, I was just thinking about putting the new bearings I ordered into a set of Avocet hubs today. The though popped into my head literally 15m before I opened my computer and saw your thread.
Old 04-06-21, 10:12 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
It looks like a SunTour New Winner to me. That is just off the top of my head. No research, or checking.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 04-06-21, 01:00 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
sure looks like my SunTour New Winner freewheels...

seems like the hub might use a conventional axle. Wouldn't hurt to pull it out and look at it in detail.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-06-21, 01:05 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
sure looks like my SunTour New Winner freewheels...

seems like the hub might use a conventional axle. Wouldn't hurt to pull it out and look at it in detail.

Steve in Peoria
I think so: axle might be either a Campy clone threading but this might be an Asian-sourced hub (rather that the typical Avocet=Ofmega deal) and if anything the cones are the bits to salvage since they mate with the sealed cart bearings ID.
Old 04-06-21, 02:07 PM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
The hub looks like a rebranded Specialized.
Old 04-06-21, 04:06 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I was thinking it looked to me more like a rebranded Ofmega, which would be consistent with some other Avocet stuff, like their cranks.

Specialized sealed bearing hubs that I am familiar with often also have dust caps, unlike this and the Ofmegas, which do not.

If they are rebranded Ofmegas, the quick releases may also be a cool, old school lightweight design with some alloy parts and an open end on the lever cap thingy, and might be worth digging up if you still have access to that scrap pile. That would also probably confirm the ID.

Also, if they are rebranded Ofmegas, they should take a normal threaded 10mm hollow axle in the appropriate length, and cones/spacers should screw right on. Come to think of it, I don't think those Ofmega hubs even had "cones" between the axle and the bearings, at least on the rear. That is, the bearing hole was 10mm and the axle was 10mm. If I had to guess, I'd say it's 10x1 thread, like most hubs that aren't Campagnolo. I could be completely wrong though, but they look a heck of a lot like Ofmegas. Those were hi-zoot components back in the day. Looks like it got run over by a panzer though.

Edit: looks like a dead ringer for these rebranded Ofmega hubs (Velobase). Note the funky QR.

Last edited by scarlson; 04-06-21 at 04:19 PM. Reason: include velobase link
Old 04-06-21, 08:00 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Try looking at Ofmega CX sealed bearing hubs. I think they might be identical to those Avocets.
IIRC, there were two versions of the CX issued by Ofmega. The earlier one having oil ports and the later one having none.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 04-06-21, 10:13 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I fished this busted up wheel out of the scrap yard pile. Its an Avocet and the axle is sheared off. Any chance of finding a replacement?

The 6 speed freewheel spins nicely but some of the cogs have broken teeth. Cleaning a bit of dirt off its a suntour. Any idea what kind?

Thanks

Yes, New Winner. There is genuine cone and locknut on the bearings, making it possible to adjust the bearings easily and precisely. I used to overhaul and adjust mine just for fun.

Yellow Jersey may still have replacement cogs: Suntour Freewheels at Yellow Jersey You have to call them to find out if they have what you need.

Removing the freewheel from the hub will be tough. Normally you'd retain the freewheel tool with the QR skewer to loosen it the first thread or so but with part of the axle missing that may not work. Good luck.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-07-21, 02:11 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-07-21, 06:46 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Another coincidence.
I got a hub that had a really nice Regina freewheel but axle was snapped and the axle was offset, like a compound fracture. I cut off the spokes and kept the tubular rim (Colnago) and then cut off the NDS side of the hub and was left with the D side of the hub with the freewheel and an inch or so of axle so no using a QR to keep the tool from slipping.

Mounted the remainder of the Dside of the hub with freewheel still attached in a vise, crushing down hard on the broken hub. This kept hub from moving. Attached the VAR 186 tool onto the freewheel and applied a wrench to that. No movement (later found PO didn't grease freewheels before mounting). Placed a large C-clamp so it attached with one side of clamp to top of VAR tool and other side of clamp on bottom of vise and tightened clamp down. applied wrench and off came freewheel.
Old 04-08-21, 09:40 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Yes, New Winner. There is genuine cone and locknut on the bearings, making it possible to adjust the bearings easily and precisely. I used to overhaul and adjust mine just for fun.

Yellow Jersey may still have replacement cogs: Suntour Freewheels at Yellow Jersey You have to call them to find out if they have what you need.

Removing the freewheel from the hub will be tough. Normally you'd retain the freewheel tool with the QR skewer to loosen it the first thread or so but with part of the axle missing that may not work. Good luck.
reasonable chance that a front wheel quick release at this point could retain the proper puller. With the freewheel off extracting the axle should be possible.
a repair? Roll of the dice.