Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano SPD-SL look alikes; should I go for the new 105 or old DA pedals?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 12:57 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

I'm putting together another commuter and was planning on throwing my old DA 7810 pedals that are pretty much past their prime having seen countless miles and beaten to hell over the years as my primaries and later on and off. However, I noticed that the newer 12' 105 5700 pedals seem like body doubles with my old DA's but at the price as new that I'm willing to put into a daily (they're around $60 compared to the $300+ I paid originally for the DA's awhile back). Should I stick with the old DA or go for the newer/ cheaper 105's?

Old 07-06-12, 01:37 AM
errorunknown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you say putting together a commuter I imagine a cheaper bike. I can't imagine putting 300 pedals on my 1300 bike let alone a cheaper commuter. If I'm not mistaken the two pedals have the same design, just the DA use lighter materials. IMO its a waste to get the DA unless you a weight weenie!
Old 07-06-12, 01:50 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds like you're asking whether it's worth it to replace your DA pedals with new 105 ones. I would say, if your DA pedals are still serviceable (bearings roll freely, no play) I would keep rolling them. Even if they're a little gunked up I would first try pulling them apart to see what you can service. Although I personally get a kick out of getting lots of mileage out of "older" things instead of replacing them as soon as they start to wear.

Also, what's countless miles? If you're talking 50K+ then there's a good chance they're worn. If you're talking 20K or less I'd say keep riding them.

IMHO, it would be like replacing a car with one of the same make, model, and generation, just of a newer year. If the old car works, why bother? Unless you want the cool black pedal look