Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stuck stem Help!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stuck stem Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-19, 05:57 AM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Stems and seatposts sometimes you gotta get creative.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ost-color.html
Thanks dedhed, that is a massive amount of force. I will try simpler things first as I don't even own a come along right now. I am still trying to save the fork for now if possible.
Old 04-28-19, 07:31 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Just be careful with it. After a number of tries with other methods, including trying to do 4 vertical cuts inside, I took to it with it clamped in the drill press and a 3/4” bit. Well, the bit caught and now the fork has a couple splits. Needless to say, it wa a visit to the coop and a replacement fork
Old 04-28-19, 12:24 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Just be careful with it. After a number of tries with other methods, including trying to do 4 vertical cuts inside, I took to it with it clamped in the drill press and a 3/4” bit. Well, the bit caught and now the fork has a couple splits. Needless to say, it wa a visit to the coop and a replacement fork
Good point. I recall from the days when I was doing a lot of home machining how aluminum would want to grab onto the toolbit or drills if not all was perfect. Need to have sharp tool , correct rpm etc..
Old 04-30-23, 04:54 PM
Robert Abrams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Titanium seized stem

Toga Bike Shop in NYC is the place to go to fix Merlin Titanium bikes made in Massachusetts. They distributed these original Merlin Titanium bikes from 1986 on, so they know everything about them. I bought a 1990 Merlin Titanium from Ebay with a horribly loose, unrideable Grease Guard Press Fit Bottom Bracket & a Seized Hideous Stem. No other bike shop in NYC was able to fix this problem, & I was fearful that I had a dead bicycle frame on my hands. Toga was able to rebuild the bottom bracket with new sealed Phil Wood bearings, & can remove any stem seized with Galvanic Fusion between the titanium & aluminum. All for a very reasonable price.

Toga Bike Shop
110 West End Avenue @ 64th Street
NYC, NY 10023

1-212-799-9625
lv@togabikes dot com att: Louis

shipbikes the best & cheapest way to ship a bicycle

If not at or around NYC, strip your bike down & get a used shipping box or frame box from a bicycle shop, tip them $10 or $20
You pay by the size & weight, so a frame box is cheapest to ship.
Remove the wheels, pedals, crank/crank arm, chain, seatpost/saddle.

Vintage Merlin Titanium bikes are great looking, light weight, & should always be saved to ride whenever possible.
Likes For Robert Abrams:
Old 05-01-23, 08:36 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 972 Posts
I would clamp the fork to picnic table with the 2x4 and torque to poop out of it.
Old 05-01-23, 03:47 PM
Robert Abrams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not worth the time & effort. Hammering away at a stem with Galvanic Fusion with nothing happening is very humbling.
You soak with aerosol Liquid Wrench overnight first, but reading the label, it's ridiculously carcinogenic, & it splashes up.
I was not wearing a turtleneck, & I had 1 spot that was warm for a day.
I was taking 2 showers a day for 4 days, wondering if I had just given myself cancer in 20 years.
It takes 20 years for environmental induced cancers to show up.
Believe me, I'm a frugal guy, but there are some jobs you do not want to touch, spend a couple of bucks & have the bike mechanic do it.
Old 05-01-23, 04:31 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 1,074 Times in 749 Posts
Originally Posted by Kars
Anyone ever try applying dry ice to a stem to freeze it to get it out ?
Freeze spray inside the aluminum stem can sometimes free things up enough to get it to move. The idea is that the corrosion expands the surface area of the quill and the cold will shrink it slightly. CRC Freeze-Off Super Penetrant 11.5Oz (autozone.com)