Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What speed makes you kind go "oh crap"?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What speed makes you kind go "oh crap"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 06:58 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
If you want to see something scary, you should watch crazylady drop a hill at 40+ on a trike! (Delta, not a tadpole. ). I've seen her do it on her Sun EZ3.......with loaded panniers and trunk bag on the back

I can tell you from riding it down a hill myself that the steering gets real twitchy at anything over 20 MPH, and you have to keep a gentle grip and very slow steer motions.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-31-08, 07:59 PM
pcmike
Jer. 29:11

Bikes: Gary Fisher Superfly, Bianchi Axis, Trek Madone 5.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hit 48 on a downhill on the Michigander this year on my Trek Madone 5.5 coming into Traverse City... I was watching the Edge 705 read out 41, 42 and then 43 but as speed kept building, I was too scared to take my eyes of the road after 43 and didn't see I hit 48.2 mph until I finished the ride and checked the stats. No wobble, though... but that was about as fast as I'm comfortable with at this stage of my cycling life.
Follow me on Twitter @michiganbiking and @michigandermike
Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher Superfly, '08 Trek Madone 5.5, '05 Bianchi Axis
Old 07-31-08, 09:05 PM
Gonzlobo
Red light runner

Bikes: Seven Sola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I go night riding on the MTB, it's about 10mph. The damn rabbits jump out with suicidal tendencies. They're out to get us!
Old 07-31-08, 09:11 PM
-Devil-

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 8.0, Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er (project, to be a SS rigid), Kona Dew Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzlobo
When I go night riding on the MTB, it's about 10mph. The damn rabbits jump out with suicidal tendencies. They're out to get us!
i think there is a conspiracy with those rabbits and MTB's ... them and those darned squirrles that keep throwing pinecones at me ...
Old 07-31-08, 10:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6233 Post(s)
Liked 4,239 Times in 2,377 Posts
55 mph on a tandem with my kid. My wife would never let me go past 45 mph (Screaming "We're going to die! Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! We. Are. Going. To. Die!", once I got past 40 mph.

53 mph on US40 off the back of Lookout Mountain here in Colorado (pretty regular occurrence ) on any number of road bikes.

45 mph off-road on a mountain bike (rigid).

48 mph on 2 different loaded touring bikes (55 lb load). One developed a death wobble at 48...very scary with a loaded bike and the other ran out of downhill before I could go faster
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-01-08, 03:02 AM
Sassonian

Bikes: Custom Zinn Dolomite Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "Oh Crap" moment is usually on the uphill bits - around 10km/hr when all the others that I've been tracking alongside without a problem on the flats - all disappear ahead of me.

No limits on the downhill - It's my only advantage and time to peg back some time.
Old 08-01-08, 05:43 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far my only oh crap moment has been at 0 mph when I remembered I was still clipped in.

Speed wise I have been up to 47 and wished the hill was longer
Old 08-01-08, 05:59 AM
olafub
rebmeM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70+ on a bike!!! I get nervous going that fast in my car :-) I think your oh crap speed is related to your age. In my teens and twenties I'd go as fast as I possibly could. Now that I'm pushing 50 I think the mid 30's is fast enough. What's the hurry?
Old 08-01-08, 06:54 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a straight or mostly straight downhill I've been a little over 60 and didn't have a problem. Throw in other riders or obstacles and 40 is pretty scary.
Old 08-01-08, 06:57 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I'm pushing 50 years old myself, but I love the speed......

There is nothing better to me than spinning out the crank and then tucking in all aero and letting gravity and aerodynamics do their thing.

Originally Posted by olafub
70+ on a bike!!! I get nervous going that fast in my car :-) I think your oh crap speed is related to your age. In my teens and twenties I'd go as fast as I possibly could. Now that I'm pushing 50 I think the mid 30's is fast enough. What's the hurry?

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-01-08, 08:30 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've watched plenty of TDF and Tour De Espana videos. The mtns in the Spanish tour are so steep that several of the PRO/TDF riders use triples and/or compacts. The commentators state that the riders touch speeds of 60 mph tops. And that's the PRO's on some of the biggest mtns in the world. So those that claim to do 60 plus, you're definately TDF material!

On the big mtns rides that I've done, I've only been able to top 45 mph on a 40 mile long downhill on my single. 40 and below is comfy, 45 starts to get a bit scary. Not the handling, just thoughts of what could happen.

Once hit 56 mph on our tandem on a very steep hill. Bike was rock steady but helmets and glasses were going crazy. I still daydream of cosequences that could have occured during that ride. Silly and and uncalled for risk IMO. I wonder what might have happened if a dog or cat had got in our path. I daydream of my wife hitting the pavement at that speed and it just gives me the chills or spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair cause I wanted to break 50. I don't drink but feel like I need a beer after I have those thoughts!

I did an endo on the dirt at 25 mph (mtb). Broke the helmet from back to front. I'd hate to think of the results had I been on the pavement.
Old 08-01-08, 08:47 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This is descending Mt Baldy. A 5k climb most clydes won't, maybe can't do! I do pretty well on the downhill flying by riders on the 20 mile descent. I hit speeds of 40, maybe 45 if I'm lucky on the straight sections, 30 mph in the switchbacks. But you guys hit 60,70 mph, some in the dirt?

Old 08-01-08, 09:22 AM
bigwies
Mega Clyde

Bikes: 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I have hit about 35 mph on my hybrid and have been pretty comfortable, but I am pretty sure I am quickly approaching my comfort level. I hit 29.3 mph on my commute this morning and didn't really notice the speed. I would not relish a crash at that speed, but I would have to say that my current "Oh crap" limit would be somewhere in the low to mid 40 mph range.

Maybe my limit will go up when I get a road bike, but that is a bridge I will have to cross when I get to it.

Last edited by bigwies; 08-01-08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-01-08, 09:25 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Bikes: 2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2014 Foam Green Surly CrossCheck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in the Midwest and 'I hit a deer' stories abound. There has got to be a good one for your post-my co-workers are now inquiring about the guy on the bike, how he is, what it did to him, his bike, the deer, "bikes can go that fast?", etc. I DO show them my speedometer from time to time where I have gotten up to 28 before and they joke and say I reprogrammed it or something.

Originally Posted by Pinyon
I don't like to go much above 50 mph. I used to like to go faster, but hit a deer last year on my bicycle going down a hill at 32 mph. Three deer jumped out in front of me from behind some willow shrubs, and I hit the middle one. I had been going about 36 mph, but slowed down to only about 32 mph when I hit it.

I still like to go fast, but have noticed that my front end also gets wobbly over about 55 mph, and I'm also concerned if I will be able to avoid something like gravel in the road on a curve going that fast. Almost all the hills that you can reach those speeds on around here, have blind curves. Scary stuff if you are going too fast.
Old 08-01-08, 09:28 AM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I'm mashing it for all it's worth, turning myself inside out, burning up my legs, and tongue is wagging, and I look down and the Fredometer is reading 18 mph, I generally say, "Oh Crap".

I hate those days.
Old 08-01-08, 10:55 AM
wibnrml

Bikes: 06 Specialized Roubaix Elete Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly do 50+ mph on my morning commute going down Lake Tapps Blvd. in Auburn Wa. People tell me that I could get a speeding ticket for going that fast down that road (40 mph limit). I tell them if I get a ticket. I’ll frame it!

My OH CRAP! moment came during a Death Wobble on one of those descents. Then I I’ve since mounted a new Mavic wheelset. The ride is smoother now and I wouldn’t mind going faster.
Old 08-01-08, 12:38 PM
old4x4

Bikes: GT Zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hit 64 mph on a paved downhill one time on Yates Hill Rd (hadn't been on it before). I was scared sh1tless..especially when I saw the stop sign at the bottom. Don't think I want to hit a speed like that again. I was on my old GT Zaskar mt bike. Very scary....

Last edited by old4x4; 08-01-08 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 12:49 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
18mph on Little Red (Dahon folder) and 35mph on the road bike, more because of lack of experience at higher speeds; the bike is still plenty stable at that speed.

My bands:
Old 08-01-08, 12:54 PM
Black Shuck
cycling n00b

Bikes: EAI Brassknuckle fixed Sannino fixed, Thorn Club Tour, Soma Smoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
43.39 MPH going downhill with full touring load this summer. I could have gone a bit faster if the road wasn't narrow and winding down the side of a small mountain.
Old 08-01-08, 01:05 PM
andymac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is all relative, I regularly hit 40 - 45 mph on the two downhills on my commute. In light or no traffic I don't even think about it, in traffic with some dim bulb drifting over toward me while yacking on their cell phone I am more than a little unnerved.

I think I have hit a max of about 50 mph during my commute according to my cycle computer, interestingly enough the guy that I always pass on the way to work claims 60 on the same hill... even as I pull away from him .... got to take the speed claims with a grain of salt... unless you are that nut that went 170 km/h down the volcano...
Old 08-01-08, 04:13 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yup, that was during my Roaring 20's when we're all indestructible. Now on the cusp of 50 I, like other OF's here have posted, still get a kick out of The Speed, and regularly hit the mid 40's on my regular loop. But it's a controlled descent and I actually use the brakes somewhat [gasp].
Old 08-01-08, 04:30 PM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything over 25mph...I'm top heavy.
Old 08-01-08, 04:36 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think your oh crap speed is related to your age.
Yeah, it's called senile! C'mon, the best pros in the world maybe hit 60 on the biggest mtns in the world when they breakaways from the peloton! Mtns they need compacts and triples to climb! 70+? 64 on an old mtb?
Old 08-01-08, 04:51 PM
milehile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hit ~35, then a car.

I was on an older Huffy MTB heading home with a new alternator in my backpack. I was heading down a fairly sized hill, with a building at the bottom of the hill and a driveway on the other side of the building. I didn't know it, but there was a car coming out of the driveway. I was going about 35-40ish, when I hit the front fender and flipped over my handlebar. I hurt my ankle pretty bad, but was able to walk it off. Taco'd the front rim, and messed up the car pretty good. Her fender, hood, and the windshield was smashed by my alternator.

So, yeah. It wasn't an "oh crap" moment, but more of an "OH HOLY HELL I'M GOING TO DIE!" moment.
Old 08-01-08, 05:02 PM
townandcountry
Not a senior!

Bikes: Felt 85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My "oh crap" moment was when I touched wheels with the rider in front and did a face plant, going 13 mph. Well, the real words were something other than "oh crap". I have hit 41 or so coming off Crater Lake rim once and 43 or so coming down from Hurricane Ridge. Was that ever fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.