Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is the lure for wanting to ride a single speed/fixie bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is the lure for wanting to ride a single speed/fixie bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 11:26 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0i
I have not attempted the trick of clicking back into spinning pedals. Looks a bit crazy to me.
I tried it just to learn a new skill - not going real fast, not going downhill, I have brakes... I did it a few times until I figured out the moves, and that was enough.

I'd like to learn that trick of riding backwards in a circle... not that it'd ever be useful, but it's cool, and you can't do it on a non-fixed bike.

Finally, the fact that grumpy old curmudgeons don't like them, makes them more appealing to me.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 02-11-16 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-11-16, 11:52 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
BITD, we used fixies for winter training: started out with a 42/21 on Jan 1, moved up a tooth every two weeks (42/21,20,19,18) then switched back to gears. Great workout, no worries about over-gearing and it gives you a GREAT spin (try a 30mph downhill on a 42/21 fixed some time. It's an eye-opener.) That said, I haven't ridden fixed in probably 35 years. Musta got it out of my system.

SP
OC, OR
Oh, and you can't race on the track without one - almost forgot that. (Some of the most fun I've had on a bike was Friday night races at the Jerry Baker Memorial Velodrome aka Marymoor.)

SP
OC, OR
Old 02-11-16, 11:56 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
It's like ipa vs stout vs plisner. No one correct answer.
No, but a LOT of strongly held opinions!

SP
OC, OR
Old 02-11-16, 12:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Fix gear riding has given me an in with a crowd from another planet here in Portland, the young eastside hipsters. Quiter a few of them know or suspect I have been riding fixed longer than they have been alive. And I get a quiet respect from a lot of them. I'll take it.

Ben
Old 02-11-16, 12:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has cited the late great Sheldon Brown. He was a fan of fixed gears. Read here: Fixed Gear Bicycles for the Road
Old 02-11-16, 12:43 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm surprised that no one has cited the late great Sheldon Brown. He was a fan of fixed gears. Read here: Fixed Gear Bicycles for the Road
We don't see much of you in here, @caloso. Turned 50 or just practising?
Old 02-11-16, 12:48 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
No sense in rushing things.
Old 02-11-16, 01:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Just practicing. I hope no one minds that I occasionally stick my nose in here a bit prematurely, but it's a breath of fresh air compared to the 41.
Old 02-11-16, 01:18 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just practicing. I hope no one minds that I occasionally stick my nose in here a bit prematurely, but it's a breath of fresh air compared to the 41.
LOL. Nobody minds, I'm sure. Anyway, it's good for old farts to associate with the young.
Old 02-12-16, 06:49 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Careful with that, you'll find yourself wearing baggy shorts, growing a beard, looking at 'Bents longingly, etc. Its a slippery slope here.....

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-12-16, 09:04 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Careful with that, you'll find yourself wearing baggy shorts, growing a beard, looking at 'Bents longingly, etc. Its a slippery slope here.....

Bill
This is true.

I may get me a set of lycra this year. They say it could make me faster.
Old 02-12-16, 12:58 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I tried it just to learn a new skill - not going real fast, not going downhill, I have brakes... I did it a few times until I figured out the moves, and that was enough.

Finally, the fact that grumpy old curmudgeons don't like them, makes them more appealing to me.
That's me too. I wondered what the big deal was so I built myself a fixed gear conversion to see for myself. I rode it a little bit and I liked it because it's a little out of the mainstream but I've had too many recent broken bones to want to take it up seriously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Red Rocker Redo.jpg (97.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-12-16, 01:02 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That's me too. I wondered what the big deal was so I built myself a fixed gear conversion to see for myself. I rode it a little bit and I liked it because it's a little out of the mainstream but I've had too many recent broken bones to want to take it up seriously.
It's really no more dangerous than riding with a freewheel/freehub. In fact, because of the direct feedback through the rear wheel it's arguably safer in conditions where traction might be an issue - more feel.
Old 02-12-16, 02:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
It's really no more dangerous than riding with a freewheel/freehub. In fact, because of the direct feedback through the rear wheel it's arguably safer in conditions where traction might be an issue - more feel.
Out of context there... what I "tried" was letting the crank windmill and then re-inserting my feet in the clips while moving. It is definitely something that takes some practice.

I didn't at all say that riding FG was dangerous and I don't think that. I'm on my fourth fixed gear bike and I ride it all the time.

2003 - free frame, too small.

2005 - free frame, but beat up.

2010 - new bike, stolen in 2014

2014 - new bike, still riding

I **really** like this bike for commuting.
Old 02-12-16, 02:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12779 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
I have a front brake on my fixed gear. Stopping is not much different than on my other bikes. I'd put a rear brake on too, but it's a 590 to 622 conversion and a rear brake won't just bolt right on.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 02-12-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 05:15 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My Gunnar Street Dog was built at Harris Cyclery, by Sheldon Brown. I have been riding it since October, 2000.

-I love riding fixed. Never looked back.
-Steel frame. Toe clips and straps. No computer. Further discussion is not required.
-All the rest: The drive train is very easy to maintain. Its simplicity is beautiful.

And that is that.

There is one thing I just don't get: Why some experienced cyclists are so resistant to even trying it. So, applying Ockam's Razor, I can only
guess that maybe some are afraid that they just might actually like it.

Last edited by trackhub; 02-12-16 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 08:16 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
My Gunnar Street Dog was built at Harris Cyclery, by Sheldon Brown. I have been riding it since October, 2000.

-I love riding fixed. Never looked back.
-Steel frame. Toe clips and straps. No computer. Further discussion is not required.
-All the rest: The drive train is very easy to maintain. Its simplicity is beautiful.

And that is that.

There is one thing I just don't get: Why some experienced cyclists are so resistant to even trying it. So, applying Ockam's Razor, I can only
guess that maybe some are afraid that they just might actually like it.
I'm sufficiently moved. Besides the Sheldon reference and that excellent final point above, I'm also thinking about something I don't think I've seen mentioned yet, --easier to track-stand on a fixie. I plan to build up a new flip-flop wheel for my singlespeed with a fixie on the other side. (When I commute home from the train station my biggest issue is trying to track-stand at occasional crowded stop signs)
Old 02-13-16, 08:30 AM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I get it. Good luck. Still not interested. However, I have a TT, 2 Road, MTB, and 1 Fattie bike and I prefer to have only 7 cogs in the rear and 1 sprocket in the front. That is all I need and keeps it pretty simple.
Old 02-13-16, 12:06 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by jbenkert111
I think I get it. Good luck. Still not interested. However, I have a TT, 2 Road, MTB, and 1 Fattie bike and I prefer to have only 7 cogs in the rear and 1 sprocket in the front. That is all I need and keeps it pretty simple.
We arent far apart. I ride TT, road race, criterium style and have those kinds of bikes. Love the vintage racers and the ride they give. Nothing like it.

I have nothing against fixies, I just dont need to try one, especially after watching my son as we ride the hills.
Old 02-13-16, 01:21 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I bought one for a commuting "beater" bike last December, a cheap one because I was skeptical that I'd like it enough to warrant spending any real money. Plus I'm cheap but that's another story. Anyway I might not shift more than 3 or 4 times on a commute anyway so why not.

I thought I'd keep it on freewheel mode and ignore the fixed side. It doesn't seem rational that disabling a function (coasting) would make it better. But of course I had to at least try a trip or two with the fixed gear, and as it turns out I've kept it that way for all of them. About 800 miles since then. It's a different ride, not "better" but variety is good. You'd have to actually ride some with fixed gear to find out whether it has any appeal to you.
Old 02-13-16, 01:36 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by dbg
--easier to track-stand on a fixie.
I remember thinking that, and finding it wasn't true... you can't do the little "bump and back" move like you can on a freewheel. I trackstand better and longer on my other bikes. I like the fixed gear for other reasons.
Old 02-13-16, 06:53 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I did a SS speed with TWO brakes,, My Momma didn't raise no fool
It was fun,
sold it,
I like my gears
Old 02-13-16, 06:58 PM
caloso

A few years ago I was in an omnium that had a TT. I didn't have a TT bike and didn't want to mess with my road bike, so I threw some aerobars and a 52x14 on my fixed gear. Had my PR on that course. Nothing to do but pedal harder.

Found out late that there's a bit of tradition in FG time trialing in the UK.
Old 02-13-16, 07:13 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
A few years ago I was in an omnium that had a TT. I didn't have a TT bike and didn't want to mess with my road bike, so I threw some aerobars and a 52x14 on my fixed gear. Had my PR on that course. Nothing to do but pedal harder.

The late very great Beryl Burton riding and winning a TT on FG:

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Beryl_Burton_FG.jpg (14.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-13-16, 07:19 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

On a flat TT course, I would imagine there is little need for more than one gear anyway. Once you get up to speed, at least. And, of course, there are the aero and weight savings that come with having a FG/SS TT bike.

FWIW, I like FG a lot. I've been riding mine a lot more lately. Mainly because it is a really comfortable bike... based on a Shogun 400 frame as it is. I've done centuries a month on it for a full year, loaded touring in northern Europe, and even 400km on PBP before pulling out because of bad weather. Plus also a hillclimb TT or two on one... although I wasn't particularly fast, I still didn't finish last!!

As others have said, there is a certain zen in riding FG. It's not just the simplicity and that total lack of need to worry about what gear to be in. It is somewhat indefinable.

Also FWIW, someone starting a FG thread in this forum about a decade ago would have been considered a lunatic by everyone else posting in the thread. All sorts of negatives, concentrating mainly on preservation of the knees, but also leaning heavily on the notion that the hipster trend of no brake was a requirement, and therefore riding any FG would mean instant death.

It's nice to see the attitudes have changed somewhat... although not quite entirely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.