Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Manufacturers Rant

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bicycle Manufacturers Rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 06:07 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Giant is an interesting story.

Before there were Giant bicycles there was a state of the art factory in Taiwan building bicycles for Schwinn. One day Schwinn decided they could get their bicycles made more cheaply in mainland China and took their business over there. So what were the Taiwanese to do? They started the Giant brand just to have an outlet for their production. In a sense, Schwinn actually financed their own competition.
That was Schwinn's giant mistake.
Old 03-06-16, 06:13 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I wonder if the measurement of a company's design abilities is related to the number and uniqueness of their patents.
Old 03-06-16, 07:17 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
This company still builds their own for a niche market

Cargo Bikes, Industrial Bicycles and Industrial Tricycles from Worksman Cycles Factory Direct Store
Old 03-06-16, 07:27 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
That was Schwinn's giant mistake.
Old 03-06-16, 07:34 AM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I was talking with an acquantance of mine yesterday and he kept using the phrase Trek builds a mean bike. this repeated statement was driving me nuts! I just need to put it out there that Trek does not build much of anything. Nor does Specialized, Cannondale, Focus, Blue, KHS, Jamis, etc. etc. etc. These companies are marketing companies. Some literally build nothing for the mass market, but have it built for them by another company contracted to do the work. Some design work is handled by the marketing company, but the physical manufacture of the product is not done by them. I must also add that much of the design work is handled by the contract manufacturer, for obvious reasons.

One caveat here, Giant is a manufacturer, and does build the product they design and market other than the Giant branded accessories and tools. So, please, when talking about the company of choice be it bicycles, lawn mowers, or even autos, make sure when you say "They build a mean widget" that the company actualy builds the widget.

Thank you.

Ti
Perhaps you need to get your facts correct prior to making such statements. Both of my Treks were designed and built in Wisconsin.
Old 03-06-16, 07:49 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Up North
Perhaps you need to get your facts correct prior to making such statements. Both of my Treks were designed and built in Wisconsin.
Some is, some ain't.

It's just a rant so you know there's always a germ of truth in it but never enough to make it true.
Old 03-06-16, 08:17 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Mean? I only buy nice bikes.
Old 03-06-16, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
+1
You should be buying your bikes from American craftsmen. Nothing new there.
Stop ranting and buy a steel, Al, CF, bamboo, wood, etc bike from a small shop or individual builder.
+1. Ti frame designed and built by one man in my home town of Philadelphia who also owns a LBS and lives in the community where the shop is located. The bike as also built up at the shop. Cerakote applied by a guy in central PA. Back in the mid-2000s, the builder twice won best MTB at the NAHBBS. He has a young son now so I don't think he exhibits there anymore.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0005.jpg (98.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-06-16, 01:27 PM
Up North

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some is, some ain't.

It's just a rant so you know there's always a germ of truth in it but never enough to make it true.
Mine is, and when I rant I get my facts right.
Old 03-06-16, 01:55 PM
Retro Grouch 

Some is, some ain't.

Mine is, and when I rant I get my facts right.
Yup and that's the germ of truth in your comment. Today, however, most ain't. Being a stickler for the facts, you already know that.
Old 03-06-16, 03:04 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
2010 Cannondale T2 touring bike. The last year that Cannondale made their bikes in the U.S., and the last year they made a "real" touring bike.
Old 03-06-16, 04:06 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
2010 Cannondale T2 touring bike. The last year that Cannondale made their bikes in the U.S., and the last year they made a "real" touring bike.
Nice load.
Old 03-06-16, 05:11 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I believe Trek does build a mean bike but only if there is a mean rider.

Behold, one of the top 3 meanest in the road racing lineup in the '80s. Meet my redhot Cinnamon Girl:

That sir, is awesome!
Old 03-06-16, 07:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
That sir, is awesome!
Thank you, kindly.
Old 03-06-16, 07:36 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
No different than the business model used by Apple or most other tech companies as well as car companies. Many parts or assemblies are contracted out to other companies. Bike companies are better off focusing on their strengths, design and marketing, and leaving the manufacturing to other companies with a different focus. It's more efficient and results in a better product at lower cost for end users. Not sure what there is to complain about.
This is exactly right. All the bike companies are capable of producing everything themselves. But it's not efficient or economical.
Old 03-06-16, 08:17 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 1,780 Posts
LOL, you appear to be part of the "elite" According to this CNBC news article, Trek makes about 1% of there bikes in the USA and that's only 4 models.

In Waterloo, Wisconsin, a passion for 'Made in USA' bicycles

So, in my book the rant stands are accurate since he clearly states, "Trek does not build much of anything". 1% isn't much of anything in my book, LOL!
Old 03-06-16, 08:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, you appear to be part of the "elite" According to this CNBC news article, Trek makes about 1% of there bikes in the USA and that's only 4 models.......

Whether your Trek is made in the USA or not varies by price point, with some of the top end stuff being made here. But that wasn't always the case. At one time most of Trek's production was in the USA. That was in the early days when they were growing the company. However once they hit the big time, they started source ever increasing numbers overseas.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-06-16, 09:03 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Whether your Trek is made in the USA or not varies by price point, with some of the top end stuff being made here. But that wasn't always the case. At one time most of Trek's production was in the USA. That was in the early days when they were growing the company. However once they hit the big time, they started source ever increasing numbers overseas.
But what really matters over where it's built is how does it ride. What more really matters?
Old 03-06-16, 09:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
But what really matters over where it's built is how does it ride. What more really matters?
I don't have any objections over where bikes are built. I was only explaining the history.

Like it or not Trek's competition builds their bikes in China, where costs are lower. They can either do the same and compete on a level playing field, or produce here, be uncompetitive, and lose market share. In the end roughly the same number of bikes will enter the country, but fewer will say Trek on the downtube,.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-07-16, 06:51 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
This is exactly right. All the bike companies are capable of producing everything themselves. But it's not efficient or economical.
No....it isn't as *profitable* for them to make their own product. Tons of operations succeeded over the years DIYing their own work.

Their margin is far higher if they farm out the building, and just paste their head-tube badge on someone else's bike frame....and consumers are so daft they'll pay the exact same price or more, until now. With worsening economic outlooks, they're finding the high times of price gouging are coming to an end as consumers simply can't or won't afford the ridiculous prices.

Which brings us to the problem of offshoring....it is corporate foot-shooting when systemic and long-term large-scale, as it has become.
Old 03-07-16, 07:55 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Going over the thread looking for 'political' content...
Old 03-07-16, 08:03 AM
Up North

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
LOL, you appear to be part of the "elite" According to this CNBC news article, Trek makes about 1% of there bikes in the USA and that's only 4 models.

In Waterloo, Wisconsin, a passion for 'Made in USA' bicycles

So, in my book the rant stands are accurate since he clearly states, "Trek does not build much of anything". 1% isn't much of anything in my book, LOL!
Sorry for being Elite! Waterloo W has quiet a few people employed making those Elite bikes for us Elite cyclists. The OP also rants about design and product research all being done overseas as well. Not the case with Trek as all R&D done in Wisconsin. Last but not least, Trek makes good bike - for the Elite of course.
Old 03-07-16, 08:45 AM
jamesdak 

Sorry for being Elite! Waterloo W has quiet a few people employed making those Elite bikes for us Elite cyclists. The OP also rants about design and product research all being done overseas as well. Not the case with Trek as all R&D done in Wisconsin. Last but not least, Trek makes good bike - for the Elite of course.
Well my Trek clearly states designed in the U.S. but I still think his rant is valid. And I honestly don't find anything special about Trek. I find all my old bikes give me a more compliant and controlled rude than my Madone on my rough roads. And can say the same for the Domane I rented, and really wanted to like, last summer.
Now, if I had smooth pavement it might be a different story.
Old 03-07-16, 09:27 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
No....it isn't as *profitable* for them to make their own product. Tons of operations succeeded over the years DIYing their own work.

Their margin is far higher if they farm out the building, and just paste their head-tube badge on someone else's bike frame....and consumers are so daft they'll pay the exact same price or more, until now. With worsening economic outlooks, they're finding the high times of price gouging are coming to an end as consumers simply can't or won't afford the ridiculous prices.

Which brings us to the problem of offshoring....it is corporate foot-shooting when systemic and long-term large-scale, as it has become.
It's all part of being in a competitive and global economy. The US economy is strong because it provides the freedom to fail. Companies with poor business models don't last long.

The alternative is to shut down the borders at the state and federal level, eliminate or drastically reduce imports and exports and force companies to do everything themselves. Brazil employs this strategy. Imported goods face duties and taxes on the order of 100%. Not sure it's working too well for their economy.

Do you have an example of a country where this strategy is effective?
Old 03-07-16, 09:35 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
It's all part of being in a competitive and global economy. The US economy is strong because it provides the freedom to fail. Companies with poor business models don't last long.

The alternative is to shut down the borders at the state and federal level, eliminate or drastically reduce imports and exports and force companies to do everything themselves. Brazil employs this strategy. Imported goods face duties and taxes on the order of 100%. Not sure it's working too well for their economy.

Do you have an example of a country where this strategy is effective?
The US economy isn't strong. And most companies have poor business models, that look no further than next-quarter.

Companies selling goods require consumers. Consumers require income and therefore jobs in order to be consumers, IOW consumers need to be employees. Companies need employees to have consumers. Companies sending their jobs elsewhere are destroying their own consumer market. And everyone is looking at everyone else expecting them to do the employing, while they themselves don't. It is already falling apart, and if you think the "economy is strong" I got a platinum bridge to sell you.

The result? What we have now. Consumers barely getting by with lots of part time jobs soon to be replaced with automation. A time where everything more expensive than a big mac has a purchase-on-credit scheme available from the retailer.

The alternative? How about we start invalidating patents and trademarks of companies that don't want to make their patented/trademarked goods here and/or reverse-incorporate? The parasites prevent competition here with patents, send their own jobs elsewhere, and then use and abuse our legal system in their patent wars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.