Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What will the next ten years bring?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 09:16 AM
BSLeVan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found an old wool jersey in the attic, and as I picked it up, I remembered the smell of it when it was wet. This got me to thinking that most of us have been around long enough to see some amazing changes in cycling. The bikes, equipment, clothing, etc. have all changed beyond what I could ever have imaginged when I first got into cycling. I then started to wonder what changes would come along in the next ten years. I know, I'm glad that I no longer have to wear scratchy smelly (when wet) wool jerseys, and brifters make my riding much more enjoyable. But what would I like to see as an improvement in the next ten years? How about you? Any thoughts about what changes you'd like to see in the next ten years?

One thought I've had is a set of handlebars with a strip of super bright LED lights build into them. Someting along the lines of lighting equivalent to a 10+ watt system would be nice with batteries that would last years instead of hours.
Old 07-19-07, 09:20 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electronic shifting groups?

https://bicycletech.blogspot.com/2006...-frontier.html

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-19-07, 09:24 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Cheap customized saddles that virtually eliminate saddle pain similar to the Surefoot orthotics and custom fitted ski boots. Electronic shifting with no cables and more gears.
Old 07-19-07, 09:46 AM
ang1sgt

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Cheap customized saddles that virtually eliminate saddle pain similar to the Surefoot orthotics and custom fitted ski boots. Electronic shifting with no cables and more gears.
Isn't that a Recumbent with Memory Foam padding? LOL!
Old 07-19-07, 09:55 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Wool jerseys, leather saddles and friction shifters.
Old 07-19-07, 09:59 AM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I walked back into a bike shop last year for my Kaitai after -repeat after me- 20 years away from biking, I felt totally out of place... like Rip Van Winkle. When I went back to try out my Reno this year, I had to ask how the shifters worked
Old 07-19-07, 10:17 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
I found an old wool jersey in the attic, and as I picked it up, I remembered the smell of it when it was wet. This got me to thinking that most of us have been around long enough to see some amazing changes in cycling. The bikes, equipment, clothing, etc. have all changed beyond what I could ever have imaginged when I first got into cycling. I then started to wonder what changes would come along in the next ten years. I know, I'm glad that I no longer have to wear scratchy smelly (when wet) wool jerseys, and brifters make my riding much more enjoyable. But what would I like to see as an improvement in the next ten years? How about you? Any thoughts about what changes you'd like to see in the next ten years?

One thought I've had is a set of handlebars with a strip of super bright LED lights build into them. Someting along the lines of lighting equivalent to a 10+ watt system would be nice with batteries that would last years instead of hours.
I don't know about years, but Lithium Polymer batteries are available now that have 4 times the capacity of the nicads we were using a few years ago and 2 times the capacity of NiMH batteries considered great today. The cost keeps rising ($250 battery pack) but that will reverse as the product goes into mass production.
Old 07-19-07, 10:21 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Cheap GPS with GUI display screens (Graphical User Interface for those of you who are not forced to eat breath and sleep computers.......think windows on you home computer)

Carbon fiber everything.........moulded, not hand layed for lower prices.

And most importantly, another generation of 50+ posters.
Old 07-19-07, 10:36 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Somewhere along the line, I don't know if it will be within 10 years, but carbon fiber will be cheap and plentiful. There could be $400 CF hybrids. We're already seeing full CF road bikes edging down to around $1200.

Before seeing Beverly's post, I was recently thinking of how electronic shifters could be an idea in the making. I would sure rather have something like that than thumb shifters.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-19-07, 10:43 AM
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It really doesn't matter what the advances for the next 10 years are. With what I just spent on the BMC the CFOs not going to let me get it.
Old 07-19-07, 11:10 AM
Old Hammer Boy

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes without chains and Infinitely variable speed "transmissions," and still lighter than current drive trains. Tires that seldom go flat (we're getting close to that now), and a built-in anti dog device.
Old 07-19-07, 11:24 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, the vast majority of bikes in ten years will be white.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-19-07, 02:08 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Wool jerseys, leather saddles and friction shifters.

And Ibuprofen that doesn't rot your kidneys when taken intravenously
Old 07-19-07, 02:15 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Before seeing Beverly's post, I was recently thinking of how electronic shifters could be an idea in the making. I would sure rather have something like that than thumb shifters.

Or maybe no shifters at all. Technologies like Fallbrook's NuVinci Drivetrain could be lighter so that no one would even want gear shifters.
Old 07-19-07, 03:49 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Of course, the vast majority of bikes in ten years will be white.
Watching the TDF- It will be by the Autumn. I am trying to spot the Non- White bikes.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-19-07, 04:33 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
Bikes without chains
Here you go!

Old 07-20-07, 06:26 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Ten years from now we will weigh a little more, and be slower.

TCS
Old 07-20-07, 07:19 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Or maybe no shifters at all. Technologies like Fallbrook's NuVinci Drivetrain could be lighter so that no one would even want gear shifters.
I played the vid on this site and this is interesting. Kind of like the Blackburn Ultra trainer. If they ever get this light enough and with a wide enough range it will catch on. I liked the fact that the rider still controls the position of the power trasfer(the auto shift schemes just do not work that well). Electronic shifting and even more choices in frame materials will be the rage. Unless stronger materials are found, 10 speed is the limit although everyone will try to sell you a 12 speed or whatever.
Old 07-20-07, 07:30 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Originally Posted by oilman_15106
I played the vid on this site and this is interesting. Kind of like the Blackburn Ultra trainer. If they ever get this light enough and with a wide enough range it will catch on. I liked the fact that the rider still controls the position of the power trasfer(the auto shift schemes just do not work that well). Electronic shifting and even more choices in frame materials will be the rage. Unless stronger materials are found, 10 speed is the limit although everyone will try to sell you a 12 speed or whatever.
It would seem though that you need some form of power generator to drive all these electrics. Shimano's auto transmission (either for sale or under test in Europe) has a small computer and electronic dash panel on the handlebar and a power generator in the front hub. Since all power on the bike ultimately comes from your legs then by some amount you will get slower and have to pedal harder. Might be ok for an around town commuter but it will be a while before it catches on with a lot of riders.
Old 07-20-07, 08:11 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
How about an anti-gravity device built into your bike? I wouldn't mind riding a bike with an effective weight of one pound.
Old 07-20-07, 08:46 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
First, adding motors to bikes.
Adding two more wheels for stability.
Enclosing them for weather protection.
Adding additional seats.
adding air conditioning and heating, radio, cd/dvd, seat belts, windows that roll up and down.
Old 07-20-07, 08:49 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I remember the 1960s as a golden age of bulletproof "cruisers" that could carry huge loads and fast, convenient English 3-speeds. In subsequent years, bicycles became more oriented to sports and recreation, which meant inconveniient to use. Just ten years ago, getting a decent utility bike usually required importing it yourself from Holland or Germany.

Thinkg have changed. You can get a Breezer, Kogo-Myata, and others just by walking into a store! The Wall Street Journal has even noticed this increased interest in useful bikes. My hope is that increasing road congestion and scarce parking will continue to drive a demand for "normal bikes." There have been some advances since 1960. LED headlights and tail lights, disk brakes, and lighter materials have improved things quite a bit.

For, example, I remember the old Schwinn Varsity. Back in its day, it was considered a real enthusiast's bike for the mass market. No fenders, ten speeds, an exposed chain that would eat your pants, and a thin, spidery-looking frame that looked like everything had been sacrificed for light weight and performance. One showed up at my LBS this year. I hefted the thing, and it weighed about 40 pounds. The tubing may be small in diameter, but it is basically gaspipe. My modern commuter bike, with drum brakes, chainguard, generator, rack, lights and fenders is lighter. So, bicycle technology really is improving. For that matter, the wonderful old "English Racers" has steel rims and you had to lightly hold the brakes on rainy downhills to keep them dry and working.

So yeah, I'd hope for LED headlights that focus as well as halogen ones, but are sufficiently low powered to run off a hub dynamo, more efficient hub dynamos, lighter commuter/utility bikes that still retain their practical features, and cooler rainsuits for hot summer commutes, and advanced internal hubs that allow a wider gear range.

Paul
Old 07-20-07, 08:58 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Originally Posted by JanMM
How about an anti-gravity device built into your bike? I wouldn't mind riding a bike with an effective weight of one pound.
How bout changing that request to one built into my belt.....
Old 07-20-07, 09:17 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
How bout changing that request to one built into my belt.....
Right! If my effective weight was one pound, I wouldn't mind that my bike weighs thirty-three pounds.
Old 07-20-07, 10:06 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All kidding put aside, the newest bikes are of great quality and convenience IMHO.
I have minimum trouble and go on extended trips without worry. My Madone road bike (for instance) is so light, fast, reliable, user friendly that I have trouble imagining the next major improvement.

There is such a thing as Maturity in products. For instance, Ball Bearings have not changed much in a lifetime and there are other mature products which have had only cosmetic changes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.