Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

TPU inner tube problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

TPU inner tube problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 09:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,231 Times in 2,373 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Still wrong. You increase the chance of a pinch without inflating the tube to shape. There won't be any installation difficulty. If there is--you're doing it wrong. Or don't know what you're doing.
You are more likely to pinch a tube that is partial inflated because you are more likely to have to use tools to install the tire. I don’t pinch tubes and I never inflate tubes. I assure you that I know what I am doing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-22-24, 09:25 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
The relevant property here, is that TPU tubes don't UN-stretch as much as butyl after you've over-inflated them. So they're always a little more difficult to install, doubly so when you've stretched them. Good news is they're pretty tough so even if you pinch or fold it going in, it'll still probably work at least as a spare... might be lumpy.
TPU tubes aren’t elastic at all. That’s why they don’t “unstretch” if you inflate them outside of a tire. They deform. I’ve installed a few TPU tubes and don’t find them difficult to install at all. As with butyl tubes, there is no need to inflate them for installation.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-22-24, 11:34 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You are more likely to pinch a tube that is partial inflated because you are more likely to have to use tools to install the tire. I don’t pinch tubes and I never inflate tubes. I assure you that I know what I am doing.
The problem is that the TPU tube likes to cling to the inner wall of the tire. So when you get to the last part, you will find that the TPU tube is just under the tire bead. Prying the tire bead at this point would pinch the tube. That is why you need to inflate the TPU tube to get it to stay in the main body of the tire and away from the bead area.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-23-24, 05:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
We're talking about a few psi. This will not make the tire harder to manipulate and needing to therefore use tools you wouldn't need otherwise. Partially inflating the tube this tiny bit, also actually gets it out of the way of the beads and up under the interior tread part of the tire. Instead of having a floppy deflated mess which is more easy to get a tiny bit falling under a part of the bead/rim interface.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-23-24, 05:13 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3553 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,798 Posts
You certainly couldn’t tell that from your tube installation technique. Carry on.

Last edited by smd4; 04-23-24 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-23-24, 07:27 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The problem is that the TPU tube likes to cling to the inner wall of the tire. So when you get to the last part, you will find that the TPU tube is just under the tire bead. Prying the tire bead at this point would pinch the tube. That is why you need to inflate the TPU tube to get it to stay in the main body of the tire and away from the bead area.
Not in my experience. Just like with a butyl tube, the tube needs to be inside the tire if you are going to use a lever on the tire (aa bead jack is a better tool for this). I haven’t found the TPU to be sticky or clingy when it comes to the install. A bit of attention to detail goes a very long way…which you should just naturally do if you are going to use a tool for a tire install.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
We're talking about a few psi. This will not make the tire harder to manipulate and needing to therefore use tools you wouldn't need otherwise. Partially inflating the tube this tiny bit, also actually gets it out of the way of the beads and up under the interior tread part of the tire. Instead of having a floppy deflated mess which is more easy to get a tiny bit falling under a part of the bead/rim interface.
Probably more like a fraction of a PSI over ambient but even that amount of air is going to make sliding on the tire more difficult since the air in the tube does take up space that it doesn’t take up if the tube has no air in it. Again, if the tube has some air in it and the tire is difficult to install, even a little air makes the install harder.

You certainly couldn’t tell that from your tube installation technique. Carry on.
I will carry on installing flat tubes like I have been for the last 40 years. Trying to put tires on an inflated tube is just as difficult as trying to take a tire off an inflated tube.

Old 04-23-24, 07:30 PM
smd4

I will carry on installing flat tubes like I have been for the last 40 years. Trying to put tires on an inflated tube is just as difficult as trying to take a tire off an inflated tube.
Utter nonsense, of course. Not difficult at all. No tools necessary. Again, carry on.

Last edited by smd4; 04-23-24 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-23-24, 07:36 PM
cyccommute 

Nonsense, of course. Not difficult at all. No tools necessary. Again, carry on.
Haven’t installed any modern tires lately?

Old 04-23-24, 07:37 PM
smd4

Haven’t installed any modern tires lately?
Just my Veloflexes.

But that doesn’t matter since you’ve been doing it wrong for 40 years.
Old 04-23-24, 07:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7043 Post(s)
Liked 11,088 Times in 4,737 Posts
Has it ever occurred to you two experts that there might be more than one way to successfully mount a tubed tire?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-23-24, 07:39 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Koyote
Has it ever occurred to you two experts that there might be more than one way to successfully mount a tubed tire?
Well, it must be true, if you say so! After all, you’re the self-proclaimed expert!

Last edited by smd4; 04-24-24 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-01-24, 02:23 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 501 Posts
If you have to inflate the tube prior to installation, put it in the tire first. That will constrain the tube to keep it from expanding too much. Every pressure vessel elongates as well as expands under pressure. Tubes just happen to be very weak pressure vessels that aren’t meant to be inflated outside of a stronger pressure vessel.

A rubber tube would expand and elongate much more than a TPU tube which isn’t very stretchy at all, contrary to what has been written above. The instructions on the TPU tubes say not to inflate them too much outside of the tire or the tube will be damaged.

Frankly, there is no need to inflate the TPU or any other kind of tube upon install. A tire that is tough to install will be harder to install with air in the tube. Just put the tube in the tire and mount the tire.
I put on my first set of TPU tubes yesterday. I already have some as spares on some bikes but I’ve never mounted them.

Based on this thread, I mounted one with as much air as I could do with my mouth, and another with no air.

Both went on ok. Kind of a pain, it definitely feels like mounting a grocery bag inside the tire. Thin. I would advocate for what your comfortable with and to go out of your way to do it without levers if possible.

Oddly enough, neither tire rolled evenly after inflation. I think with the less stretch in the tube, it doesn’t pop them into place. I got mine a lot better by manipulating the bead under about 3-4psi. I’ll revisit it later with some soapy water on the bead. That’ll fix it.

Funny thing about them, based on mounting them and fiddling with them, the spare in my saddle bag is butyl.

Im seriously questioning my other TPU tubes as spares, I just can’t really see a scenario where tubeless fails me that these would get me home. I’ll keep my sealant topped off and my plugs loaded.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-02-24, 12:40 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
I can understand that my question probably sounds very stupid. This is not the first tube I've installed 🤣But reading the instructions tubes must be inflated a bit before installed.Now take a look at those images 1- 2- Those are two different tubes inflated just a bit for the installation itself.One is completely flat against the rim and the tyre installation can be done easily.The other one is almost impossible since the tube folds on itself making it impossible to install correctly without pinching. Note that both tubes are newer, fresh from package.
You're inflating it too much. Just enough air to give it shape so it's not flat.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-02-24, 06:58 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 239 Posts
I have seen folks give a quick blow with their mouths to minimally inflate a tube to install.

Butyl tubes will do as your picture shows also, because there is no restriction. When the tire is on, the tube is confined. More air at a constant volume means greater pressure.

I am thinking of converting to TPU tubes...when I use up my inventory of conti butyl, which now stands at 4. At the current rate, that will be in 2028.
Old 05-04-24, 10:19 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Camilo
You're inflating it too much. Just enough air to give it shape so it's not flat.
It’s my sincere belief that many home mechanics simply don’t know what “just enough air to give it shape” means.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-04-24, 12:49 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
It’s my sincere belief that many home mechanics simply don’t know what “just enough air to give it shape” means.
Agree. and don't even get it as they attempt to stuff an over inflated tube into the tire.