Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

It only took me 39 years, but I finally got a Lambert (sort of)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-20-12, 08:17 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts

Syke's Cyclery has been a madhouse over the past 60 days. I've pulled in eight bikes in that time, getting stock together for Westminster (so far I'm talking three bicycles and four framesets - nothing particularly collectible). And this guy shows up with a truckload of bikes, including one that his brother-in-law raced thirty years ago, still complete:

The original game plan was to pull the sew-up wheels for one of my other bikes, clean up the rest, and lace together a set of 700C clinchers for resale. The bike cleaned up easily enough (dirty, but stored reasonably well). And just for the heck of it, I put the original wheels back on and rode it last weekend with Poguemahone.

The only place this bike is going is in the garage with the rest of the collection. I like the way it rides way too much to sell it off. And it's another bit of my college days finally in the collection.

The only thing Lambert about it (at present) is the frame. Fork is Tange. Bottom bracket and crank are Sugino Maxi. Derailleurs are SunTour Luxe-V/Sprit, and the brakes are DiaCompe. Wheels are Mavic rims on Pelessier hubs, and the rear is another one of those damned 14-19 corncobs.

The long term game plan is to start picking up Lambert parts and begin putting the bike back to original spec, or at least close to it. In the interim, I'm just going to ride its ass off!

The scorecard for 2012 - the year in which I wasn't going to be adding anything more to the collection. By 20 January, I've already added two (this one and a Nishiki Cascade that'll be shortly appearing in the vintage mountain bike thread). Plus that long term nutsball GT. And the Kolbe has been hanging in the garden shed since last July, waiting it's turn. And there's that St. Etienne frame . . . . . . . . . .

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-20-12, 09:01 PM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very pretty bike, I'd love to find one.

I picked up an all original Viscount last fall though and it'll be my sons this spring.
Old 01-20-12, 09:17 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Really pretty and it fits you to! What more could you ask for?

I'm certainly no expert in frame geometry, and I could be very wrong here, but to me the frame on your bike looks abit relaxed for racing. Looks like it would be more comfortable on a long ride than in a race....
Old 01-21-12, 07:59 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Very nice! Could you post some close-up pics of the lugs and dropouts? I'm pretty sure my Mystery Bike is a Lambert frame, but that would help to confirm it.

https://home.mchsi.com/~shufford/bike.html

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-21-12, 08:59 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Originally Posted by BobHufford
Very nice! Could you post some close-up pics of the lugs and dropouts? I'm pretty sure my Mystery Bike is a Lambert frame, but that would help to confirm it.

https://home.mchsi.com/~shufford/bike.html

Thanks,

Bob
Let me get past this weekend (rain, rain, rain, rain, and cold) and I'll get the camera out. The shop's kinda crowded with four bikes in process at the moment - I'm in pre-Westminster production mode.

I'm pretty certain that, given the lugs and paint pattern, this is one of the pre-bankruptcy frames. Of which there don't seem to be all that many as Lambert seemed to implode very shortly after they appeared at the American dealer shows and signed the dealers up. Ghod, that was a wonderful half-decade for the British transportation industry: Rootes, British Leyland, Norton-Villiers-Triumph, and Lambert.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-21-12, 09:08 AM
toosahn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike! They pop up every now and then on my local Craigslist.
Old 01-21-12, 07:16 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have a whole bunch of Viscount parts if that will do.
Old 01-21-12, 07:56 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Really pretty and it fits you to! What more could you ask for?

I'm certainly no expert in frame geometry, and I could be very wrong here, but to me the frame on your bike looks abit relaxed for racing. Looks like it would be more comfortable on a long ride than in a race....
+1
That is a very beautiful machine, Syke - and one that must be famously suited to a long leisurely ride!
Old 01-21-12, 08:36 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I've seen some Lamberts also on my local CL, but never one that beautiful. I'm envious! That is a gorgeous color scheme. The bike just has a special look about it. I can take or leave chrome forks, depends upon the frame, but that combination is pretty cool.

Realestvin7 has some Viscount parts. I think that would be appropriate. Some of the Lamberts I've seen had parts of their own manufacture and used the Viscount brand name. I guess they had bikes labeled as Lambert and Viscount over their history.

Maybe Realestvin7 can send you some pics of the components. I wouldn't mind seeing them either. I can tell you that I will be looking more closely at Lambert postings from now on!

Enjoy your beautiful ride!
Old 01-21-12, 10:23 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by realestvin7
I have a whole bunch of Viscount parts if that will do.
I'll drop you a PM regarding them. It'll be interesting to see what you've got and how they're branded.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-21-12, 10:52 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sykerocker
I'll drop you a PM regarding them. It'll be interesting to see what you've got and how they're branded.
They're all "V" branded.
Old 01-22-12, 07:06 AM
sykerocker 

They're all "V" branded.
Unfortunately, ain't gonna work. I'll be looking for the "Lambert" branded parts.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-22-12, 01:13 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I can give you a Lambert branded 52Tchainring. I think that's all I have, other than what's on my own Lambert, much of which is V-labeled, and none of it original to that bike.
Old 01-22-12, 01:23 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Personally, I think V-labeled Viscount parts are better than nothing. Seeing as Viscount and Lambert were one in the same. I'll take some pics of the stuff anyway. Need to get rid of it.
Old 01-22-12, 03:51 PM
sykerocker 

Personally, I think V-labeled Viscount parts are better than nothing. Seeing as Viscount and Lambert were one in the same. I'll take some pics of the stuff anyway. Need to get rid of it.
Go ahead, I'll take a look.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-22-12, 07:49 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I understand why you would want only the Lambert branded parts. This is how I see it, it's functional now and you can set up the parts according to comfort and taste. Once you start collecting Lambert bits, it might make things less comfortable (gearing wise)... so why settle for Viscount stuff?

Plus the Lambert bits that I have seen are blue, which is better on your bike.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)