Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

All the stuff I'm not getting done

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

All the stuff I'm not getting done

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 11:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
All the stuff I'm not getting done WFH

I work full time, my wife works about half time. With no school and no daycare for our 5yo and 3yo twins, we are staggering our schedules, trading off responsibilities and we are "on" basically from wakeup til 9:30pm. This morning I was frying sausages for the kids between a morning east-coast meeting and my first west-coast meeting. I feel like I'm receiving this social media pressure to work on home projects but it's just not happening any faster than usual. What about you?
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-25-20 at 02:56 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-25-20, 12:43 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I did get the ladder in yesterday so I could change some light bulbs in the chandelier, but that was after working hours.

If you're trying to put in an honest day's work for a day's pay, you don't have much more free time doing it at home than you did going in to the office.
Old 03-25-20, 12:55 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Zoom is a huge blood-pressure-raising time sink. The tape is going back over the camera.
Old 03-25-20, 12:59 PM
PureFix
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I saved time and grief by biking to work. Where I am the parking can be horrendous.
There's alternate side street cleaning laws too.
Likes For PureFix:
Old 03-25-20, 01:13 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Not doing any better. With 3 kids and new online learning I'm just overwhelmed as the wife is busy still working full-time. I just ordered a pair of laptops from Newegg for 2 of them, some refurbs are affordable and cheap. Both kids have Google classroom which started this week and have to do things at the same time; but guiding them through the process of using the classrooms sucks up a lot of time. Can't believe I went from a time when only well off people had computers which was none of my friends growing up to having to have 4 laptops just to get things done.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-26-20, 04:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
home projects? yeah not so much
Old 03-26-20, 11:36 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
still working same hours, just taking breaks to get wife coffee or kick the cats out.

riding at noon instead of commute

but I don't have the kids.

Bottom line is wfh is work, not reduced hours / responsibliyt.......so projects are still weekend

OP guess the bamboo bike is still waiting for TLC

Old 03-26-20, 12:36 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Kids are home. Wife is a stay-at-home parent so she handles most of our care and feeding while I hole up in the home office and work and I absolutely treasure her for it. Pretty lucky really to have a job where I can be productive at this time.

I can't ride to the office right now, which WAS about 99% of my bike time but I have been going for rides each AM to get excercise and maintain a routine. I like riding to work, but just zooming down the route to work for the heck of it doesn't appeal to me, but I live less than 1 mile from a LEGIT mountain bike area, complete with nice, smooth upshots, lots of gravity jumps, and more than enough technical rocky descents (rock gardens, big drops, you name it). I have been honing my MTB skills there since last Monday. I posted about it in the MTB thread and I am on the Jeff Jones Owners Page on FB posting about it but here a few pics of my non commute: (disclaimer - I ALWAYS ride VERY early in the AM and I NEVER encounter others while out, me and the family are taking this thing VERY seriously)

Old 03-26-20, 01:35 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Well...

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-26-20, 05:00 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
OP guess the bamboo bike is still waiting for TLC
OP I need to hear more about this bamboo bike - I have heard of these but didn't know they existed in practical form!
Old 03-26-20, 05:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Yeah OP, how about that, huh?
Old 03-28-20, 04:39 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I have about ten projects started - including my annual winter deep-servicing of my bike - and NONE of them seem to be going anywhere. Without a finite amount of time to accomplish all these things, I can't seem to pace myself. Why put things off til tomorrow when you can do them the day AFTER tomorrow?
Old 03-31-20, 12:54 PM
PollyS8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Not doing any better. With 3 kids and new online learning I'm just overwhelmed as the wife is busy still working full-time. I just ordered a pair of laptops from Newegg for 2 of them, some refurbs are affordable and cheap. Both kids have Google classroom which started this week and have to do things at the same time; but guiding them through the process of using the classrooms sucks up a lot of time. Can't believe I went from a time when only well off people had computers which was none of my friends growing up to having to have 4 laptops just to get things done.
Same thing! You need a laptop for life nowadays. My kids are also studying online, however I guess they are coping with it even better than me...