Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Downtube bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 03:56 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Downtube bag

I'm running out of space in my frame bag, but have a lot of space under the downtube. So I like to store items not often needed, but possibly heavy (tools, spare tube, pump) there. I realize that bag will get dirty, but since i would not really need to use it unless in an emergency, that would be fine.
Alternatives are handlebar or feedbag. But I want to have a somewhat cleaner look, and less weight on the front wheel or high up.

The bike is a fatbike with a dropper. So a larger saddlebag won't work. i have a small and a large saddle bag, and neither are a solution with the dropper. I also have a handlebar bag (a roll type), but don't want to take that with me all the time (weight on front wheel etc.) - that is more for occasional long tours, not daily tours. My fatbike has good low standover, the price I pay for that is the frame bag holds less. and that frame bag is reserved for my water bladder and other daily needs. I also can't have excessive top-tube bags since that would interfere with standover (this is my MTB). I'm not up for a rack at this point.
I have a rigid fork, so there is no suspended wheel "coming" up into that clearance area under the downtube.

There are some models, but are expensive. Looking for cheaper alternatives. Revelate has the Joe Downtube for $60 and Fatback has one for $80. that would make the bag more expensive than the content. and at that location I would consider the bag somewhat sacrificial.

Edit: no cage mounts, so it needs to be strap-mounted.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 03-28-20 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 10:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,918 Posts
could you strap this in place?

https://www.amazon.com/GUSODOR-Maint...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-MOLLE-...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Old 03-28-20, 10:36 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Another expensive option is the Rogue Panda Oracle
https://roguepanda.com/shop/oracle-downtube-bag/

Old 03-29-20, 07:06 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
But the Fatback holds 4 cans of beer!
Waterproof bags are crazy priced but worth it.

Old 03-29-20, 12:07 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I think i mostly like something like the above Fatback one in black. it would blend best with my black frame/frame bag and give the most space. Just $80 seems excessive.

I swear in my next life i add sewing to my bikinghobby since that seems to be where the money is.

The rogue Panda downtube bag is very excessive for a tiny bag. I didn't list it in my OP since that has the lowest value ($/volume etc.) I actually have to custom Rogue Panda frame gabs and their quality is superb and it fits like a glove. But for a non-custom bag I don't see the value for that money. anything non-custom gets made on an assembly line, so should be cheaper.